Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:00 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,380,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
Of course. This is good practice. I meant inviting them to holidays, including them in family vacations, buying them gifts like you would give your other kids, not just token basic gifts, reaching out to their parents, etc.
Token basic gifts until they are married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,380,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. so my family had a zoom thanksgiving gathering. My niece who is 27 brought her boyfriend who is 38 to my sisters home for dinner. He's a good-looking who works as a lawyer and watching a football game on TV while my siblings, nieces and nephew were chatting. At one point my niece got up and brought the boyfriend over to introduce him. He said hello and a minute or two later went back to the game.

Playing armchair relationship shrink: I don't think the man is particular interested in my niece. Why? Because he showed no interested in talking with her family.

All I can think of is when I would go to a young ladies house... to meet her mother and/or father. I'd be on my best behavior.

Am I reading too much into this? None of this is my business of course. However I did find the man's lack of interest in talking with my family strange.

I certainly never behaved like that at a young lady's family house esps. the first time.
He might have been betting on the game; it may be his fav sports team. Some people take sports very, very seriously. You simply cannot make any assumptions based on one zoom phone call. I hate zoom calls. They overwhelm me when there are so many people on the call.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:09 PM

13,884 posts, read 8,079,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Did your family engage him in conversation?
My brother asked him about the football game. He gave yes/no answers, turned and left the room. He wasn't rude. He said hello, answered a question or two, turned and left and went back to the football game.

My niece (27)is attractive and has had several suitors over the past few years. However, this is the first time the man is much older. He's 38 or 39. A lawyer and a good looking man.

No matter if my niece is happy.. that's what counts.

On the other hand if it turns out the man is divorced, has a child or two, alimony/child support payments... good luck with all that.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:39 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,255,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
Are there any signs to tell if a young couple is meant to be? It’s hard to take everyone they date as a potential family member so when do you start taking your adult child’s (20-29) significant other seriously?
You don't have to. Nobody in that age group is serious these days. It's all just hookups and swiping on apps left or right.

Take the pressure off yourself. When they get you a gift first, then you can think about reciprocating! Until then, just be an observer.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,183,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
You don't have to. Nobody in that age group is serious these days. It's all just hookups and swiping on apps left or right.
It's true that generation is less enthused about marriage, but they aren't all slutty bed-hoppers, either. That's an over-generalization. My son is 31 and has gone to the weddings of both his cousins, two of his college friends, and two of his high school friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships