Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:05 PM

177 posts, read 757,751 times

Advertisements

So I am getting pretty tired of my mother's double standards for everything. I will try to make this story as short and painless as possible!

Basically, nearly every time we go to her house, she wants some kind of small favor. Pick up Starbucks on the way, mail her mortgage payment, help her fold laundry, whatever. Okay, not too big of a deal, right? (Even though it happens EVERY TIME.)

But then sometimes she wants bigger things, like asking us to housesit her pet, or she wants to come over all the time. When I told her both times that I would check with my spouse and get back to her, she threw a tantrum about how selfish I am. I don't think it's selfish to place my wife above my mom; maybe my wife has other plans that I need to check on, or just doesn't feel like seeing my mom (as sometimes I don't feel like seeing her parents).

The thing that makes me angry is whenever we ask HER for a favor, she won't help us. We asked for a one-way ride to the airport, so we could save money on parking. My wife's mom was picking us up; we just needed a drop-off. My mom said no because she didn't feel like it. Had no excuse whatsoever. That's just one example, but she basically won't help with anything unless it's incredibly convenient for her or something she loves to do.

So...what do I do? I feel like I can't talk to my mom about this, as every time you bring up something negative with her, she cries and tells you you're being mean. Yet she can tell me how selfish I am?

I am just sick of these double standards and her really high expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
So I am getting pretty tired of my mother's double standards for everything. I will try to make this story as short and painless as possible!

Basically, nearly every time we go to her house, she wants some kind of small favor. Pick up Starbucks on the way, mail her mortgage payment, help her fold laundry, whatever. Okay, not too big of a deal, right? (Even though it happens EVERY TIME.)

But then sometimes she wants bigger things, like asking us to housesit her pet, or she wants to come over all the time. When I told her both times that I would check with my spouse and get back to her, she threw a tantrum about how selfish I am. I don't think it's selfish to place my wife above my mom; maybe my wife has other plans that I need to check on, or just doesn't feel like seeing my mom (as sometimes I don't feel like seeing her parents).

The thing that makes me angry is whenever we ask HER for a favor, she won't help us. We asked for a one-way ride to the airport, so we could save money on parking. My wife's mom was picking us up; we just needed a drop-off. My mom said no because she didn't feel like it. Had no excuse whatsoever. That's just one example, but she basically won't help with anything unless it's incredibly convenient for her or something she loves to do.

So...what do I do? I feel like I can't talk to my mom about this, as every time you bring up something negative with her, she cries and tells you you're being mean. Yet she can tell me how selfish I am?

Moms are moms are moms are moms

However crazy she can drive you, a mom is irreplaceable.

They also say that with age they tend to act like children.

Just think about how many times we would have driven them crazy, since kids, dude.

Do they ever complain about erratic young sons?

But one thing's for certain though, too much attention on mom can irritate the wife

Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post

You mom is emotionally manipulative, and will continue to be as long as you let her treat you like this.

You have to refuse to participate in these games. When it is not convenient to petsit or stop by to do her errands you simply say, sorry Mom, I'm not able to do that this time. When she throws a temper tantrum you look at her like she's lost her mind, remain calm, but firmly repeat I am not able to do such and such for you today. Don't let her drag you into any conversation about the subject, immediately leave or hang up.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Also, you might want to grab mom by the shoulders and shake the hell out of her while yelling at her to get a hold of herself. Hey - it could happen!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Whenever she asks you for a favor, say, "Sure mom, I'd love to do that, but why not ask Bill? It would be more convenient for Bill, and he'd do a better job." When she asks you who Bill is, look at her with a shocked face and say, "Bill? Your son? Your *favorite* son Bill?" No matter what she says or does, don't let on that it's all a rouse. Eventually, she may think she's crazy, or, if she gets really, really angry and screams at you whenever you mention Bill ... consider having her committed to nice home for senile folks. Tell the people at the home, "Yeah, at first it was kind of funny that she forgot who Bill was .. now it's just scary. I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself if she continues to live on her own." Just a thought.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Whenever she asks you for a favor, say, "Sure mom, I'd love to do that, but why not ask Bill? It would be more convenient for Bill, and he'd do a better job." When she asks you who Bill is, look at her with a shocked face and say, "Bill? Your son? Your *favorite* son Bill?" No matter what she says or does, don't let on that it's all a rouse. Eventually, she may think she's crazy, or, if she gets really, really angry and screams at you whenever you mention Bill ... consider having her committed to nice home for senile folks. Tell the people at the home, "Yeah, at first it was kind of funny that she forgot who Bill was .. now it's just scary. I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself if she continues to live on her own." Just a thought.
HAHAHA that's hilarious! I think this works even better since I'm an only child. Not sure how the senility bit will work though, she's only 55! Well...maybe in time...

Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 PM

326 posts, read 880,860 times
You teach pple how to treat you. Next time she she asks for something, remind her how she wouldn't take you to the airport & then say no!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
People will do whatever you let them get away with.

You haven't mentioned how your wife feels about all of this?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You haven't mentioned how your wife feels about all of this?
She gets frustrated, to say the least. She is really open with her feelings and telling people when she's upset with them, so I don't think she understands that that's just not something that really happens in my family.

I know that she wants to stop doing favors for my mom, and I do see her point. It's just hard to get crazy guilt trips from my mom if I DON'T do things, you know? But I always put my wife first.

And before the mama's boy comments ensue from that statement: I'm also a woman. Legally married to another woman. So there's a slightly different dynamic than a son not saying anything to his mom.

I am just confused on what to do. My mom is overall a good person and we're pretty close, but this bothers me a lot... and it DEFINITELY bothers Wifey!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Sounds like she's lonely!! Does she have any friends? I wouldn't mind doing those things for her, but it does get irritating after a while, believe me I know...my mother lives with US!! But next next time YOU need a favor and she refuses, remind her how you always help when she needs you and you'd appreciate the favor back. If she still refuses, then the next time a favor comes up, say, "Sorry, just , don't feel like it" and smile. She'll get the point after awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships