Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Oh, come on! Another thread? I want to hear more about Cousin Jane, the Lesbian Divorced Widow Child Abandoner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
So cold and uncommunicative people justify their actions by saying they are quiet and reserved?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
So cold and uncommunicative people justify their actions by saying they are quiet and reserved?
It is all in the eye of the beholder. I have been told, my whole life, that I am unapproachable. When I'm not smiling I look mad. And sometimes, I just don't feel like chatting. Some people are really quiet and reserved, and some will construe it as stuck up or cold.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
If the person is really shy or depressed by nature then it isn't personal clearly, but if he ,she, or they are just doing those cold and uncommunicative behaviors selectively then yes there is a problem, yes it is weird, yes it rude, and no I wouldn't want to be around such a nasty person or persons?

Quote:

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-14-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
I come in contact with lots of mean and very uncommunicative people. I wonder sometimes what they think of their self. Do they think they are nice and charming? How do they justify their meanness to themselves?

Have you ever sat down with someone who was basically just plain mean and uncommunicative and tried to get inside their head? What did they say?
Below I am referring not to quiet people who want to be left alone, I refer to people commonly (e.g. 90% of the staff) thought of as mean, arrogant, abusive, and who communicate in one direction only.

Do these people have "Mean People Suck" bumper stickers?

Do they get angry when their suggestions (e.g. restaurant choice, who to make fun of, etc.) are ignored or overruled?

Is it because of other people that they're forced to yell and scream?

Congratulations, you have contacted a Cluster B personality: narcissist, histrionic, borderline, or anti-social.

Probably not good material for a friendship or relationship unless you like getting walked on and screamed at, unless you will follow and obey without question, unless unless unless...

Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Most mean people are not reflective of their actions. Sadly, mean-spirited people rarely change for the better...

So, when you can't avoid a mean person (such as a coworker or your brother-in-law), you have to let that person know that you will not accept their mean behavior, tell it to his/her face - it works wonders to confront meanness head-on.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 05-14-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 03:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, everybody's talking about uncommunicative people, but I think the operative word here is Mean. They pretty much believe the world revolves around them, and they'll walk all over you if you allow it. There's not much more you need to know about them than that.

Uncommunicative? Well, I buy into the shyness argument a little. But I think a lot of people use their shyness as a crutch in life, which leads to them often creating equally awkward social situations. After all, rude is rude, no matter what the motivation or mentality of its source might be.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh, come on! Another thread? I want to hear more about Cousin Jane, the Lesbian Divorced Widow Child Abandoner.

They still have enough posters to bite on to their threads
that they''ll continue to maintain the pretense. So be it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The way people treat others is usually a reflection of their own self-worth. I personally wouldn't wanna spend any time with them.
Best answer thus far.

If a person is mean-spirited, they are either lacking in conscience and/or self-worth.

The rottenest person I've known in my adult professional life was an exec at a firm I once worked for. Everybody hated him. What's worse is that he vaunted his Catholicism and always reminded people that he had a lot of kids. What's amazing is that a-holes often are married to someone "real nice," and people remark "how did so-and-so end up with THAT person?" Not in this case. His wife was a real cold biotch, despite having a bunch of kids and running to church on Sunday.

Rotten people: who wants to get into their heads? I prefer to avoid them.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:44 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Have you ever sat down with someone who was basically just plain mean and uncommunicative and tried to get inside their head? What did they say?
Oh, heck yeah! When I worked in a bank, they were my specialty. I would work hard to engage them, find out what their interests were and by the end of the conversation, they were my pal. They would become my most loyal customers because I took the time and effort to draw them out.

Sad observation; many of them were war veterans who were just so scarred by the experience, they withdrew into a shell. It was difficult to draw them out, but well worth it. They had so much to share, but sometimes were so lonely, they had lost much of their social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships