Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

No. I'm quite superior intellectually to most people I know. And I am not being arrogant, but most people in my peer group are dullards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
I have friends from a number of education levels. What really matters is how self educated someone is AFTER their formal education is done. In short, education is an ongoing process.

An interesting point on this, no members of my immediate family graduated high school. Granted, my parents would have graduated in the late 1930's/early 1940's, which was Depression era, they did not do so for a number of reasons. On the other hand, I graduated college, which they made them very proud of me.

My grandfather, who only finished 5th grade, wanted me from a young age to attend college, and established a modest savings account for that purpose. While he died before I got there, I am certain that he would be also very proud of me. My grandfather's brother, my great uncle who was also a 5th grade graduate, was one of the most intelligent well-read, well-informed individual I've ever met.

So while you can pick your friends you can't pick your family. As I've aged, I now have a better understanding of their circumstances and sacrifices, and am humbled.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Most people that know me think that I am simple minded, tolerable and polite, I chose to keep it that way,

Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
No. I'm quite superior intellectually to most people I know. And I am not being arrogant, but most people in my peer group are dullards.
They probably are not dullards at all. It's more likely you are young, and can't be bothered to get to know them. And that makes them not want to know you.

It's a shame when people perceive you as arrogant, because it really limits what you can do in life!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
it's not that they even argue. They have laughed it off as if I was a clown or looked at me funny as if I was a retard. It irks me. the irony is that they themselves are rather ignorant (at least concerning the given subject).
That's the point right there; if your "friends" don't have enough respect for you to partake in a decent conversation, I wouldn't think that they were really "friends" at all. I'll get called an idiot sometimes, but then within the same sentence, there'll be a "but I understand what ya mean".. I know they're messing around, but to me, it just sounds like these guys have no respect for you or where you're coming from at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but man, I'd be looking for better friends..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I have friends from a number of education levels. What really matters is how self educated someone is AFTER their formal education is done.... ...As I've aged, I now have a better understanding of their circumstances and sacrifices, and am humbled.
Easy, excellent post.. You're absolutely right, education doesn't stop. I believe that one of the whole reasons of being alive is to learn and grow, otherwise we become stagnant. Very good post.. thanks for sharing that.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Samston, you started a thread in Health and Wellness asking posters
if you were retarded. The thread got locked!!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I have friends from a number of education levels. What really matters is how self educated someone is AFTER their formal education is done. In short, education is an ongoing process.
Great post!

I have friends all over the map. Their level of common sense and ability to see beyond their bubble determines whether or not I keep them around.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
I can remember when I first had the opportunity to leave the country while going to school abroad. The first people I hung out with initially were the other American students. They had really intimidated me for the most part because they would go on telling me stories about all the countries they had visited and such while I had never left the eastern US.

After classes were over for the day we would head to the innenstadt (downtown), and usually kick back do homework etc. A good deal of the time I just wanted to explore places in the local area, I had no intention of shopping or anything we had half of the same stores back home anyway. It was like beating a dead horse, eventually I just made my way around the city by myself (and sometimes with other foreign students). I still disturbs me a bit when I think back on some of those things, as someone who had never really travelled before to hear people talking about traveling yet taking it for granted. This is something thats still on my mind no matter where I visit today. I personally feel that a good deal of your informal educational experiences have the greater potential to shape your outlook than anything you learn within school or uni.

Its just a bit disheartening when people take them for granted.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
They probably are not dullards at all. It's more likely you are young, and can't be bothered to get to know them. And that makes them not want to know you.

It's a shame when people perceive you as arrogant, because it really limits what you can do in life!
i think they are dullards, since they lack knowledge of life and how the world works. i asked one of them about what they thought about the recession and they said "what's a recession? "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships