Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

My sister drives us all nuts...I mean, to the point where sometimes we dont' want to be around her...

She's got more money then she knows what to do with, and yet, she is so cheap...

All her conversations are about how much money she saves on this or that, or how every Friday night they go to eat at this $10.00 buffet, but with the coupon she saved $2.00, and they even got dessert. Sheesh
you get so tired of hearing it

When we go on an outing for the day, if I don't pay for dinner, we have to go to McDonalds, or go without eating for the day.

I mean, every single time anything comes out of her mouth, it's always about how much she saved at this flea market or that.

Her house is loaded with STUFF...so much so, she has two of her bedrooms loaded to the hilt with stuff in boxes....they can barely get one car in the garage cuz it's loaded with stuff....

I've invited her to go to NY or the shore with me, but she fears spending money.

My other sister invited her to go along to Europe with them, but she refused...and yanno what her excuse is..."What if I don't have a good time and all that money is spent?" She has never gone away from home, and spent the night...

I invited a friend of theirs to my home for a holiday dinner, and he asked me what I needed a home so big for? Then when he saw my jacuzzi tub, said, "I bet that costs a lot to fill", and then I opened the patio door, b/c it was hot, and the fireplace was on, just to get some fresh air in, and he said, "You shouldn't do that, your wasting money". I will never invite him to my home again....

My mother passed away, and instead of immediately cashing in all the stocks and making a pay out, like most people do...she kept investing it, and then the market crashed and she lost our money...I wonder what she would have done if one of us would have done that to her...

She's a mess....

do you know people like this? Honestly, I think it's an obsession with her....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My sister drives us all nuts...I mean, to the point where sometimes we dont' want to be around her...

She's got more money then she knows what to do with, and yet, she is so cheap...

All her conversations are about how much money she saves on this or that, or how every Friday night they go to eat at this $10.00 buffet, but with the coupon she saved $2.00, and they even got dessert. Sheesh
you get so tired of hearing it

When we go on an outing for the day, if I don't pay for dinner, we have to go to McDonalds, or go without eating for the day.

I mean, every single time anything comes out of her mouth, it's always about how much she saved at this flea market or that.

Her house is loaded with STUFF...so much so, she has two of her bedrooms loaded to the hilt with stuff in boxes....they can barely get one car in the garage cuz it's loaded with stuff....

I've invited her to go to NY or the shore with me, but she fears spending money.

My other sister invited her to go along to Europe with them, but she refused...and yanno what her excuse is..."What if I don't have a good time and all that money is spent?" She has never gone away from home, and spent the night...

I invited a friend of theirs to my home for a holiday dinner, and he asked me what I needed a home so big for? Then when he saw my jacuzzi tub, said, "I bet that costs a lot to fill", and then I opened the patio door, b/c it was hot, and the fireplace was on, just to get some fresh air in, and he said, "You shouldn't do that, your wasting money". I will never invite him to my home again....

My mother passed away, and instead of immediately cashing in all the stocks and making a pay out, like most people do...she kept investing it, and then the market crashed and she lost our money...I wonder what she would have done if one of us would have done that to her...

She's a mess....

do you know people like this? Honestly, I think it's an obsession with her....
People simply have personality traits we don't like. In this case, it makes her happy as she see's this as a passion. Really have two options, try looking at it from her view that it makes her happy and to not let it get to you. Or have a conversation to tell her of your dislike of her talking about the topic.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
It does sound like an obsessive compulsive disorder, especially the hoarding of unused stuff. She needs help, but I guess she would not spend money on pshcho analysis.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
It does sound like an obsessive compulsive disorder, especially the hoarding of unused stuff. She needs help, but I guess she would not spend money on pshcho analysis.
your right, she wouldn't...once I tried to tell her, "You have a problem, and you need to go to counseling about it..." but she won't.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
People simply have personality traits we don't like. In this case, it makes her happy as she see's this as a passion. Really have two options, try looking at it from her view that it makes her happy and to not let it get to you. Or have a conversation to tell her of your dislike of her talking about the topic.

yes, your right, but her's is an obsession....not to mention, by being so cheap she is missing out on so much...

I mean to tell you, she fears actually fears spending money...everything she does, is decided by the dollar bill....

Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, your right, but her's is an obsession....not to mention, by being so cheap she is missing out on so much...

I mean to tell you, she fears actually fears spending money...everything she does, is decided by the dollar bill....
Sorry, I didn't read beyond the 1st "". I completely agree with Jude...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
I too would try to point it out to her (nicely)...but chances are she is so far gone she needs more than just a talk. It does sound like she is OCD about money, I wonder if she is this way about other aspects of her life as well. Maybe there is a book you can find explaining this? You could buy it for her (used with a coupon of course

Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I too would try to point it out to her (nicely)...but chances are she is so far gone she needs more than just a talk. It does sound like she is OCD about money, I wonder if she is this way about other aspects of her life as well. Maybe there is a book you can find explaining this? You could buy it for her (used with a coupon of course
LOL

nope, she would take great offense if you tried to talk to her...when we were growing up, she was the oldest, and God as my Witness, we were all scared to death of her...she was nasty...my other sister, won't even go there, her reasoning is, "We're a very small family, and I don't want to loose them, so I just zip it". Can you imagine, being afraid to talk to your sister for fear of her throwing you out of the family. But, yeah, everyone is afraid to talk to her...so, nope, even though I get further with her then anyone, I'm not about to chance it...not even with the coupon...LOL but thanks so much for the suggestion...your a hoot..

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
One of our friends is like this. She gives us a hard time about spending our own money! LOL Sometimes I wish I was more like her, but even my husband says she's extreme.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
One of our friends is like this. She gives us a hard time about spending our own money! LOL Sometimes I wish I was more like her, but even my husband says she's extreme.
yeah, they do have a way of making you feel guilty...I know, my sister is always talking about buying 2nd hand things, and that's great, but first, I don't have any way to move things, or to carry them in, and second, I may not have 5 years left to wait for the item to surface at a yard sale

seriously....it's good to save money, nothing wrong with it, but to be obsessed is another story...I can't imagine living my whole life centered around money?

But then, maybe I'm the one whose wrong...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships