Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Facebook person. There are several reasons I don't use Facebook. One, I'm not satisfied with the level of control over your information that it provides. I'm a very private person and am very particular about what information I share about myself and with whom. Two, I think it encourages laziness. Meaningful relationships are worth working hard to maintain. The problem with Facebook or other social networking tools is that it feels like you're a subscriber to someone's personal newsletter. Instead of them calling up to say they landed a job or lost it, I have to read about it on their Facebook page. Sorry, but real friends make the effort to personalize their messages either by calling or emailing. Third, who has the time to update their Facebook or read updates from all their friends? I work during the day. When I get home, I have a bunch of other things to do besides sit in front of the computer. I can see why companies block Facebook. It really does become a huge time-waster for some people.

I've had friends who give me all kinds of grief for not being on Facebook, accusing me of being old-fashioned and saying that it makes it harder for them to keep up with me. How selfish is that? They're more worried about what's convenient for them. My parents don't like to email. So instead of whining about how much easier it would be for me if they did, I make the effort to talk to them via their preferred method, the phone. Too many Facebook people look down on the rest of us who dared not to jump on the bandwagon. I despise that attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM

358 posts, read 983,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm not a Facebook person. There are several reasons I don't use Facebook. One, I'm not satisfied with the level of control over your information that it provides. I'm a very private person and am very particular about what information I share about myself and with whom. Two, I think it encourages laziness. Meaningful relationships are worth working hard to maintain. The problem with Facebook or other social networking tools is that it feels like you're a subscriber to someone's personal newsletter. Instead of them calling up to say they landed a job or lost it, I have to read about it on their Facebook page. Sorry, but real friends make the effort to personalize their messages either by calling or emailing. Third, who has the time to update their Facebook or read updates from all their friends? I work during the day. When I get home, I have a bunch of other things to do besides sit in front of the computer. I can see why companies block Facebook. It really does become a huge time-waster for some people.

I've had friends who give me all kinds of grief for not being on Facebook, accusing me of being old-fashioned and saying that it makes it harder for them to keep up with me. How selfish is that? They're more worried about what's convenient for them. My parents don't like to email. So instead of whining about how much easier it would be for me if they did, I make the effort to talk to them via their preferred method, the phone. Too many Facebook people look down on the rest of us who dared not to jump on the bandwagon. I despise that attitude.

Do you know a better way to keep up with the 300 people in my graduating class?

Lol, I didn't think so.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
Do you know a better way to keep up with the 300 people in my graduating class?

Lol, I didn't think so.
Maybe you should be asking yourself why you need to keep up with that many people? Are they all your friends?

LOL. I didn't think so.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
If people want to do Facebook, that's their business. But what annoys me is how many "invites" I get to see friends' pages. I should clarify -- I have NO PROBLEM with looking at friends' pages. The problem with it is that you can't look at them unless you start an account yourself, which I have no interest in doing. Are my friends sending all of these invites over and over or is Facebook doing that?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
I don't Facebook, MySpace, Tweeter, and do other forums... they are black holes of time!!

Yet there are hundreds of other social networking sites!!

List of social networking websites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
I am willing to use examples of my personal life as contextually appropriate but relatively anonymously. I am not going to put up my entire personal profile on a web box for all to see.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post

I now keep in touch with friends and fam all over the world. I know everyone on my list- I don't add random people for the 'fun' of it. I view it as more of a scrapbook than anything else. If anyone wants to see pics of our last vacation, pics of a relatives new baby, send invites for events, etc, we log on to facebook. Obviously it doesn't substitute for phonecalls, sending pics in the mail or writing letters but it's alot more centralized.
I can totally agree with Prettygyrl777...this is a wonderful way to keep in touch with family all across the country. I especially love the album feature, and enjoy putting together albums for family and friends to see. I'm keeping in touch on a daily basis with just a few short sentences each day, and it's great to see what they're all doing also.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
You DON'T have to use your real name on facebook
You can use anything for a profile picture
You DON'T have to make your wall (or other info) public
YOU CAN hide your listing so that you are unsearchable
You can also control (specifically) how much information your friends can access.
Exactly. Why don't people get this?

Quote:
My problem with all of these people who are getting in hot water with this is that they don't know how to use it to begin with. Also, people should just use good judgement. Nothing is ever TOTALLY private on the 'net.
I completely agree.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM

358 posts, read 983,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Maybe you should be asking yourself why you need to keep up with that many people? Are they all your friends?

LOL. I didn't think so.
I may not hang out with every single one of them, but it doesn't mean we're not friends. I've known many of them since kindergarten, so it's cool to see what's going on in their lives.

I'm friends with all of them, but obviously some more than others.

There's nothing wrong with it.

You're just jaded for some reason.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I may not hang out with every single one of them, but it doesn't mean we're not friends. I've known many of them since kindergarten, so it's cool to see what's going on in their lives.

I'm friends with all of them, but obviously some more than others.

There's nothing wrong with it.

You're just jaded for some reason.
No, I just think it's silly to call these people friends. If you lose your job or your house burns down, how many of these people will be there to help you? I'm sure you'll say that a lot of these people live in different cities. Well I have a friend who lives in another city. I haven't seen him in years. But when my company got bought out, he called up to see how I was doing. He even offered to loan me some money if I needed it. That's how I know he's a good friend. Real friends are there for you during the bad times.

As for the people you've known since kindergarten, you say that it's cool to see where they are in their lives. That doesn't make you friends. I think it would be cool to see how others in my graduating class are doing and what they're up to, but that doesn't make them my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships