Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's just it. You're twisting something innocent into people being deviants or weird. What country to I live in? Can't you read where I'm from? Jesus.
I wasn't really interested in what country you live in, I was basically speaking in general lol. And, I'm not 'twisting' it. I already told you, it is MY OPINION about this particular topic. What part about that do you not understand?

Quote:
I'm not saying children should be exposed to ALL adults. What I don't like is that you put nudism with sexuality meaning that family units have pedophiles.
Well, because there ARE many family units who DO have pedophiles in them - are you really that naive? Don't you ever read the news or turn on the television? You don't have to "like" that I'm saying that there is a possibility for sexual abuse involving children within the nudism community, just as there is that possibility for ANY type of community out there - but unfortunately, it DOES exist, whether you want to believe it or not, and whether you "like" it or not.

Quote:
Asking if I would let my daughter sit on a naked lap of someone is out of line because I never said that's how it is in my household. Stop judging and shaming people based on YOUR conjectures.
Naah, it wasn't out of line, it was a perfectly valid question to illustrate my point on the OPINION I was making. And, please stop telling me to 'stop judging and shaming people', okay? My opinions - or what you conveniently call 'conjectures' - are based on enough information that I've seen, heard about and EXPERIENCED during my lifetime; which is why it's called an opinion, Bellakin.

Quote:
I love the ignore feature.
I just bet you do! It's easier for you to iggy someone than to disagree with them without telling them what to do or how to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Do infants and toddlers count? The ones who don't seem to keep a diaper on?

My mother was very breezy when we were growing up. Nudity was no big deal. My family isn't much for walking around nude, as far as the kids are concerned, and neither does my husband. (that was NOT a thing in his family) But I certainly have, but it's usually in places where I'd be getting undressed or dressed and kids walk in or whatever.
But see, what you describe above sounds normal...and it's something that is NOT what I'm describing as far as these nudist 'communities' and 'colonies' where there are a large amount of naked adults walking around while there are young children and teenagers who are also naked walking around in close proximity to these adults. THAT is what I'm referring to - and it's that that I have a problem with.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
I don't want to walk around in the nude. But I don't mind in the summer sleeping in the nude.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Conflating nudist with sexual deviants doesn't seem like a fair thing to do. I'm not a fan of people who live that nudist lifestyle, but as long as no one is getting hurt or whatever it's none of my business. When it comes to kids my gut thought is that they probably shouldn't be exposed to that, just erring on the side of caution. I suppose if children were sat down and really talked to about the subject then maybe. I don't know... feel like I'm waffling a bit here because I'm a pretty big on living and letting other live but the kid dynamic makes it harder to really weigh in on this.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Conflating nudist with sexual deviants doesn't seem like a fair thing to do. I'm not a fan of people who live that nudist lifestyle, but as long as no one is getting hurt or whatever it's none of my business. When it comes to kids my gut thought is that they probably shouldn't be exposed to that, just erring on the side of caution. I suppose if children were sat down and really talked to about the subject then maybe. I don't know... feel like I'm waffling a bit here because I'm a pretty big on living and letting other live but the kid dynamic makes it harder to really weigh in on this.
I would say for one thing, it would be supremely important for any kids in such a lifestyle (and in fact it should be this way for all kids everywhere) to be well educated on bodily autonomy and telling a parent if something happens that makes them uncomfortable.

I say this because (as I've explained in another subforum thread elsewhere recently) when I was a kid, my babysitters got away with a lot of neglect and outright abuse, and I didn't say anything until I was an adult, because my child self assumed that adults were in charge, and just trusted that the authority figures would back each other up, and they were always in their rights to do anything they wanted. I was not molested, but my god how easily I could have been. I'd never have questioned an adult who told me they had a right to do anything, nor would it have even occurred to me it might be wrong or I should report it to another adult. If they were someone I knew in a position of authority, they were simply entitled to do whatever they wanted and there was nothing I could do about it.

There is sometimes a natural element of that to being a child. As much as I support nudity as a nonsexual thing, wish it were a lot less taboo, and defend nudists as not necessarily being or providing a safe haven for predators and deviants... Before I let any kid of mine into that environment, I would most DEFINITELY want to feel very confident that they'd come tell me if anything happened that made them uncomfortable.

And as I did no matter where we were in the world, when they were actual children (they're nearly adults now) I would have watched them like a hawk. But I did that anyways.

Thing is, there is a powerful force that acts upon human beings, the tendency to "monkey see, monkey do." When you are around naked people who aren't necessarily being sexual but just being nude, you actually get very used to it, surprisingly fast. That whole "gasp! shock! I can see his/her private bits!" naughty feeling, vanishes, as you see others around you acting like it's no big deal. We have a MIGHTY urge to fit in at a basic animal level. Have you seen the experiments where some few people in a crowd would do some physical behavior, like stand facing a certain way, and raise their hand...or a few people in a waiting room would stand up when a bell sounded, and the unknowing experiment subjects (the regular folks) would mimic their behavior in short order. It's fascinating. So to the point, if one expects to be titillated at a nudist colony, one will be disappointed. It just ain't like that.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:47 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
I can appreciate less laundry to wash and being cooler in summer, but I'd rather have open curtains.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:29 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The people that I've seen and heard of that were nudist types were people that you really wished would wear clothes. Not trying to be mean spirited here and I myself need to drop some weight so it ain't like I'm perfect. While not a nudist per se there is a lady that lives in our condo complex and she's probably early mid 50's and when the weather is nice she'll walk around hardly dressed. Too short shorts, too tight as well. She wears flimsy tops that are almost see through with no bra and good lordy, it ain't pretty.

Yeah, I know, good for her, go girl and all that, but at some point you need to think about others too. Ya know......
A perfect example of why so many are insecure and have body issues .
If you aren't 'pretty' please hide.
I congratulate serious nudists for having risen above thinking people with "imperfect" bodies are disgusting.
I hope, since you sleep with no shirt and your 'dad bod' hanging out that MrsChow isn't thinking
"I wish he'd cover up. That ain't pretty"

Old 10-31-2017, 12:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I can appreciate less laundry to wash and being cooler in summer, but I'd rather have open curtains.

Never stopped me...

Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I congratulate serious nudists for having risen above thinking people with "imperfect" bodies are disgusting.
I hope, since you sleep with no shirt and your 'dad bod' hanging out that MrsChow isn't thinking
I was thinking something similar.

That's been part of the healthiness of the BDSM community has been at parties there are lots of naked people of all sorts, and they are all legit beautiful. Any (legal!) age, size, shape, color, etc. Beautiful. Part of that is because they are REALLY enjoying themselves, and the energy in the room is just good. But it helped me, and it's helped others, in overcoming body image issues to be there and see that. I know plenty of my friends don't think I should have body image issues, after all, I managed not to gain weight after I had my kids, I'm small and trim and all...but nonetheless my body isn't perfect and I am too aware of my flaws (like most women I know, even beautiful ones, are.) I can be my own worst critic sometimes.

It also reinforces the fact that pretty much everyone is SOMEBODY's flavor (at least when it comes to looks--a bad attitude does you no good anywhere.) There are plenty of folks at the parties who are nowhere near the socially reinforced idea of perfect physical beauty, yet they get plenty of interest and attention from others. That is nice to be reminded of, too.

I'm betting that most nudists, even though there is far less sexuality involved there than in my scene, are of similar thinking. Seeing the natural beauty in all stages and kinds of humanity, and each loving themselves more for it, too.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I take it you didn't like my post. Figures, people usually find fault in blunt truth.

Step down from your pious high ground and just think for a second. You see some hugely repulsive fat guy walking down the street with little and improperly fitting clothes you really aren't going to think to yourself that you wished you didn't see that. I mean it doesn't even have to be in a mean way, but just a dang, "I wished that guy had on more clothes"

Really?? You really are that self righteous that that thought wouldn't at least pop in your head for a millisecond??

I said it in the nicest way I could have, I could have gotten really graphic and I wished I did because you wouldn't be getting a nose bleed over there instead you'd probably be agreeing with me.

In terms of Mrs. Chow wishing I'd cover myself up, yeah, she might be. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships