Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times

Advertisements

After much resistance to the idea, I finally joined Facebook. So far, I've only looked up some names of people I've known in the past at school or work just to see who might be on the site, and sent a message to a former (female) co-worker, but I'm not even sure if the person I sent the message to is the person I knew, or if the account is still active.
My question is this: Assuming I am able to contact people I knew 20 or more years ago using Facebook, exactly who should I contact? I'm thinking for example that there could be people on there that I haven't seen or spoken with in many years... people that I may have somehow hurt or wronged in the past (not many, but a few)... do I try to make contact with them now after all these years to apologize for things I may have done wrong all those years ago, or is the past better left in the past? How do you decide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:48 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I have mostly family, a few coworkers and friends from high school on mine- It was fun the first few months but now I haven't logged on in about .......... a month.

Careful what you post on your Facebook, I've read about people being terminated from jobs due to what they have posted ... and be sure to make your privacy selections so no one can read it but your friends ! You don't want everyone looking at your page ...

Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I've really gotten into Facebook and I didn't think I would at first. That's because I've reconnected with friends and relatives who I'd lost touch with many years ago. I would recommend contacting anyone you were close to at some point in your life and just send them a message and see how they respond. I've seen some people who have hundreds and hundreds of Facebook friends but I'm not trying to do that, I'm focusing on people who I really want to keep in touch with.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
My sister thought I was on FB so she searched me and found over 50 people on there with the same name.

Hilarious!!!

I don't go on that site.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Do you want 1000 'friends' with access to your stuff or a few friends?
Seems like so many people are F/B whores who just like to 'show off' how many friends they have...

Old 03-06-2010, 04:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i actually got talked into facebook too. one of my close friends invited me. honestly, i just waited until people wanted to friend me. then i decided if i wanted them or not. i think i have only tried to look for one or two people that i was desperately trying to get back into contact with.
i like to play the games, keep in contact with my brother and friends, just generally see how their lives are going etc.
there have been people who "wronged" me in the past who i was sure just wanted to get a look at my pics and family and info etc, so i completely ignored them
i have about 40 friends---not as many as most people-

Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Why do you need to ask ?

If you liked them, try to get in touch with them.
If you didn't, then don't.

It's not a hard question ??

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I added people that I went to high school with, whose names I recognized. I'm not sure what type of relationship we had at the time, because I didn't really make any close friends, but I don't think I made many enemies either. Even if that was the case, 20-25 years later, I would figure we'd both forgotten the past, and are willing to start fresh. Consider reunions--do you REALLY hold any grudges against people you have not seen for 10 or 20 years? If so--why? People grow up and change, believe it or not.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 AM

257 posts, read 533,886 times
Quote:
I've seen some people who have hundreds and hundreds of Facebook friends but I'm not trying to do that, I'm focusing on people who I really want to keep in touch with.
Yes!

I also have a lot of family (cousins & their spouses) I've never met or haven't seen since we were 5 or 6 yo. FB is an easy, casual place to get to know them a bit. I personally wouldn't try to contact anyone I'd had trouble with in the past....life is just too short.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
After much resistance to the idea, I finally joined Facebook. So far, I've only looked up some names of people I've known in the past at school or work just to see who might be on the site, and sent a message to a former (female) co-worker, but I'm not even sure if the person I sent the message to is the person I knew, or if the account is still active.
My question is this: Assuming I am able to contact people I knew 20 or more years ago using Facebook, exactly who should I contact? I'm thinking for example that there could be people on there that I haven't seen or spoken with in many years... people that I may have somehow hurt or wronged in the past (not many, but a few)... do I try to make contact with them now after all these years to apologize for things I may have done wrong all those years ago, or is the past better left in the past? How do you decide?
I couldn't tell you. The only reason I joined was that I had several friends and family members there that sent me request to join. Otherwise, I'd never have signed on. I keep my profile private - for friends only. I don't search for "new friends" there. I just don't use the site that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships