Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: slower, smaller southern city, sleepy place, growth corridor, retirees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,750 times

Advertisements

Move to NC if you want, but PLEASE PLEASE leave your yankee attitudes behind. That means, being polite on the roads,(let someone go before you, let someone in line, when everyone is moving over to get through a lane closure - do it with them instead of rushing ahead), get involved, join the volunteer fire department, give your time to the community, help with the fund raising, dont expect them to raise taxes to build you what you moved away from, dont ask when the "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE" is going to be built, support the small local eateries(you actually might like the barbeque), etc...

I think you get the picture. I can tell the yankees from the locals on the road, dont be one of them. Sell your BMW and buy a pickup or at least wear socks with your loafers. Remember everyone that moves here makes it harder for a local to afford it. Tread lighlty. If you dont, it wont be nice anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,317 times
Wow! After reading these posts, NC sounds kinda scary!! lol

Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmguy
Move to NC if you want, but PLEASE PLEASE leave your yankee attitudes behind. That means, being polite on the roads,(let someone go before you, let someone in line, when everyone is moving over to get through a lane closure - do it with them instead of rushing ahead), get involved, join the volunteer fire department, give your time to the community, help with the fund raising, dont expect them to raise taxes to build you what you moved away from, dont ask when the "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE" is going to be built, support the small local eateries(you actually might like the barbeque), etc...

I think you get the picture. I can tell the yankees from the locals on the road, dont be one of them. Sell your BMW and buy a pickup or at least wear socks with your loafers. Remember everyone that moves here makes it harder for a local to afford it. Tread lighlty. If you dont, it wont be nice anymore.
What fund raisers do you support? Are you a Ma-Pa owner of a small store? Curious? Not my fault I work hard, went to school and can afford to move where I want! The increase in value in their home, they can move some where else if they want. People moving in doesn't make it hard for locals to afford things. Actually, wages usually go up. The last I remember, my grandfather (local to NC, his family tree goes back to 1800's there in NC BEFORE most locals there I bet) faught in 2 world wars which give me the right to move where I want, say what I want and ask for what I want. Sorry. As for being rude, well I have to agree with you there. People shouldn't be. Sore spot with me, its not your land, nor your state. Is there a grey area on what "growth" should bring, of course. You disagree? Go to your local town meetings and be heard where it counts.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 08-07-2006 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM

30 posts, read 75,804 times
This is what America the Land of the Free is all about. Having lived in Florida most of my 50 plus years, we have dealt with transients all of those years, no big deal, people are people, we all put on our pants the same way, and you just learn to live with it. It sounds like some of you locals there are the ones that are having major issues about the "Yankees and Southerner's" moving in. Look up at the sky and thank the heavens that we wake-up each and every day...

Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,178 times
Quote:

Well, coming from NY and moving to the Charlotte area, my family and I do not have the 'attitudes', but I do understand your point on the ones that do and think they can expect to change things completely around. However, I have to disagree with you on something. We are expected not to come down and demand things to be changed, which is a valid point. However, isn't that what you are trying to do by the statements you made? Meaning, that we should sell our BMW's and to wear socks with our loafers? Unless I misunderstood, but aren't you asking us to change? Leaving attitudes behind is one thing, but suggesting what we should drive or wear is a bit extreme. Not trying to stir anything, but that's just my opinion.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercelene
This is what America the Land of the Free is all about. Having lived in Florida most of my 50 plus years, we have dealt with transients all of those years, no big deal, people are people, we all put on our pants the same way, and you just learn to live with it. It sounds like some of you locals there are the ones that are having major issues about the "Yankees and Southerner's" moving in. Look up at the sky and thank the heavens that we wake-up each and every day...
Agree 110%............... My previous comment got me a 1 red dot, pretty sure who it was (not original poster) and 3 green dots (thanks), but glad to see other agree for the most part with what I said.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times
Quote:
Move to NC if you want, but PLEASE PLEASE leave your yankee attitudes behind. That means, being polite on the roads,(let someone go before you, let someone in line, when everyone is moving over to get through a lane closure - do it with them instead of rushing ahead), .

Here we go again. Picture this... you are driving down the road in NY... a lane is closed, everyone is exasperated, crawling into 1 lane, & 3 jerks ride up on the shoulder & cut in... now mind you, probably most of us are "Yankees" but only a few of us are being rude!

Don't you see that?

Quote:
get involved, join the volunteer fire department, give your time to the community, help with the fund raising
Ditto. We have volunteer Fire Depts on Long Island, tons of them. And PTA, and all that. Many people are good people. Some are jerks. Since there are so many of us there truly are Millions of jerks. And it coarsened our culture.
Yep, we had a culture, a culture as diluted by Corporate America as yours is.

All that great food you hear about in NY is the local stuff, the chains have invaded & many of us mourn that, but of course in the end we often succumb & go there.
Starbucks is from the West. I don't know about Outback. Where are your hardware stores? I see lots of Lowes & Home Depots (our signs say "New York's Do-It-Yourself Warehouse")
Why do I sense the Southerners assume "Yankees" invented all these chains & forced them upon you? If the companies do market research & conclude that people will go to their store they build it.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
Here we go again. Picture this... you are driving down the road in NY... a lane is closed, everyone is exasperated, crawling into 1 lane, & 3 jerks ride up on the shoulder & cut in... now mind you, probably most of us are "Yankees" but only a few of us are being rude!

Don't you see that?

Ditto. We have volunteer Fire Depts on Long Island, tons of them. And PTA, and all that. Many people are good people. Some are jerks. Since there are so many of us there truly are Millions of jerks. And it coarsened our culture.
Yep, we had a culture, a culture as diluted by Corporate America as yours is.

All that great food you hear about in NY is the local stuff, the chains have invaded & many of us mourn that, but of course in the end we often succumb & go there.
Starbucks is from the West. I don't know about Outback. Where are your hardware stores? I see lots of Lowes & Home Depots (our signs say "New York's Do-It-Yourself Warehouse")
Why do I sense the Southerners assume "Yankees" invented all these chains & forced them upon you? If the companies do market research & conclude that people will go to their store they build it.
I have seen and read many times where a local town voted NOT to build a Walmart and it wasn't built. If this is how you feel (not sure I agree) then again VOTE and be heard, here is not the place to make a change.

Kinda funny how you complain about a new Home Depot or Lowes or what not going in, but I sure see a lot of locals working there You also don't like the BMW's? Then sell your house for what you paid...$60k and move-on. Wouldn't want you to be tempted to spend some money on a nice new car and all.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 08-07-2006 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
They are coming in droves, sorry to say, the more people hype this place up the better it looks to people. we are leaving but we are from oregon not NY

Yeah you are moving to the same type of place. All hype and nothing there.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
This is getting ugly; and it's also very late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina