Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,425 times

Advertisements

Desperately trying to find the right place to relocate my husband and 2 children (boys 2,16yrs). We have considered areas around Chattanooga, TN; Knoxville, TN; Henderson ville, NC; Raleigh, NC; even areas surrounding Greenville, SC or Birmingham, AL. Just can't seem to find the right area to meet our needs. We want good schools, sports (hockey a must), proximity to city and airport yet able to find a home with some acreage or at least very large lot. We are northeastern transplants to Florida who want a cooler region that is a lot less touristic. We love golf, boating, parks, hiking and college football. Can anyone make any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramar4 View Post
Desperately trying to find the right place to relocate my husband and 2 children (boys 2,16yrs). We have considered areas around Chattanooga, TN; Knoxville, TN; Henderson ville, NC; Raleigh, NC; even areas surrounding Greenville, SC or Birmingham, AL. Just can't seem to find the right area to meet our needs. We want good schools, sports (hockey a must), proximity to city and airport yet able to find a home with some acreage or at least very large lot. We are northeastern transplants to Florida who want a cooler region that is a lot less touristic. We love golf, boating, parks, hiking and college football. Can anyone make any suggestions???
Fort Mill, SC.

It is still a rural area even with all the new neighorhoods that have gone in, has GREAT schools, easy access to the Charlotte airport, ice hockey teams in nearby Pineville at the Ice House, close to Lake Wylie, several golf courses and near enough to Columbia if you want to support the South Carolina Gamecocks

Old 07-03-2007, 03:01 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Fort Mill, SC.
Also a LOT cheaper than Miramar (home prices, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, etc.)!!!!

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll start researching the area. Any idea if there is any Walleye fishing in the area??

Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miramar4 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll start researching the area. Any idea if there is any Walleye fishing in the area??
Walleye Fishing in North Carolina

Fontana Lake
Lake Glenville
Lake James
Santeetlah Lake
W. Kerr Scott Lake

South Carolina

Richard B. Russell Lake

Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the Walleye information. Does anyone have any feed back ( good, bad) on the Chattanooga area? I drove through northern Alabama into Tennessee on my way to Knoxville and the area looked promising. I did spend some time in and around Knoxville specifically looking at Maryville which I read promising things about. I wasn't impressed. However it is really hard to get the flavor of an area in a few days staying in a hotel. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 PM

7 posts, read 22,531 times
I like Chattanooga...to visit but that is just me,,, There are alot of different activities to do and some beautiful places. Even to live there are some nice areas but with anywhere you have to kinda know your way around. I personally like the are around chatanooga best. According to what you looking for..

Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM

16 posts, read 78,102 times
I have spent quite awhile in Maryville, TN. My parents, grandmother, one aunt, one uncle and their families all live there. They all moved from Lafollette, TN. Maryville seems to be more expensive. All of them drive to Knoxville to work except for one. I wasn't impressed with the area either. Alot of the work around that area it manufacturing auto parts made by a company named Denso. My uncle works for them travels all of ther world. If you can get hired I guess it isn't a bad place to work. You do however have to pass a few skills test before you get hired even a a temp. However they hire a lot of temps and pay about $8.00 an hour. MY Mom worked as a temp for several months before the job ran out. The town itself looked less than desireable to me. Lots of graffitti on brides, not so nice parts of town that you had to drive thru to get to relatives house. No other route I could find. I would keep looking in a different area. Not in Maryville, just my opinion. Good Luck with your search. We are actually looking into the area just south of Charlotte. It is Clover, or Ft. Mill SC. Greenville is a nice area also.There are lots of people who can give you great info on this site. Again good luck with your search.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
The Chattanooga area is pretty expensive unless you want move to Soddy-Daisy. Then the commute down 153 is almost as bad as drivin in FL. I moved to Chattanooga in Dec 06 and can not wait to leave. Not all that much cheaper then FL. $600-700 a month less, but taxes are 9.5%, there is also a grocery tax, so we spen about an $75-100 more a month on groceries. It is a beautiful area though. The pay is A LOT lower then FL and a lot lower then Nashville and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina