Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 17,444 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm looking into relocating with my 3 kids and we are looking for a family friendly town with good public schools. I've been on a few sites looking into real estate to get an idea, but not sure where the areas are so hard to judge or narrow it down.

One of the school sites has Mecklenburg county as having some of the better rated schools in the state. Do you locals find that to be accurate? I know scores aren't everything, the last school my kids to seemed to base all of their curriculum around those tests and little else. The area where I live now has highly rated schools in really rough parts of town, they are routinely locked down for criminal activity off campus.

I would love to find a nice, safe place to raise kids that has some arts/music/cultural influences if possible and a lot of outdoor activities (4 seasons would be a bonus).

Any info you could provide or direction you could point me in would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
What industry would you be looking for work in? Some places are better for others in that regard, depending on what you'd need for work. Nowhere in NC can you just "move and then look for a job", for the most part, right now.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Hi Francois! At the moment I'm just trying to get a feel for different areas. At present, I'm able to make do with veterans benefits while I finish school and am able to use that as a cushion and, believe me, I realize how very fortunate I am to have that security right now. The job market is pretty dismal everywhere, but hopefully by next summer I'll be on my way to my new home. The hope is that I'll be able to find a federal job, but I know that whole process takes time and is competitive. I'm keeping an eye on the federal employment sites and the best areas to go. There are a couple of jobs available in the Charlotte area. If I can narrow down certain areas of Charlotte (and the other places I'm looking into as well) and figure out the cost of living, research the schools, etc then I can go from there. I'm looking all over the country because at the moment all I know is that I want to get out of Florida, but haven't made up my mind where really, it will depend on the job. I've always liked the Carolinas, but have more experience with South Carolina, having lived there for a few years. My experience to NC is limited to Raleigh (for the airport) and Goldsboro for the military base. While South Carolina was a nice place, I thought that I might get a little more variation in the weather farther up. I have friends who lived in the Charlotte area by the guard base who loved it there, but they were living the single life and can't give details about schools or activities for kids.

Not sure if I explained myself better or made more of a jumbled mess out of it!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
You are making a huge mistake by moving somewhere and then finding a federal job. The smart thing would be to stay where you are at, apply for jobs, and then if you get an offer, move where that job is. If you are really worried about location, scout out several "safe" locations around the country and check them for jobs daily. It gives you a whole lot more flexibility and since you already have the veteran status, you will be one up over everyone else applying. Don't narrow yourself to one area, especially with the government who will be cutting tons of jobs in the near future.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeing floridian View Post
Hi Francois! At the moment I'm just trying to get a feel for different areas. At present, I'm able to make do with veterans benefits while I finish school and am able to use that as a cushion and, believe me, I realize how very fortunate I am to have that security right now. The job market is pretty dismal everywhere, but hopefully by next summer I'll be on my way to my new home. The hope is that I'll be able to find a federal job, but I know that whole process takes time and is competitive. I'm keeping an eye on the federal employment sites and the best areas to go. There are a couple of jobs available in the Charlotte area. If I can narrow down certain areas of Charlotte (and the other places I'm looking into as well) and figure out the cost of living, research the schools, etc then I can go from there. I'm looking all over the country because at the moment all I know is that I want to get out of Florida, but haven't made up my mind where really, it will depend on the job. I've always liked the Carolinas, but have more experience with South Carolina, having lived there for a few years. My experience to NC is limited to Raleigh (for the airport) and Goldsboro for the military base. While South Carolina was a nice place, I thought that I might get a little more variation in the weather farther up. I have friends who lived in the Charlotte area by the guard base who loved it there, but they were living the single life and can't give details about schools or activities for kids.

Not sure if I explained myself better or made more of a jumbled mess out of it!
Check out the Greenville SC area... lovely, thriving, job market is growing there due to many hi tech companies moving into the area near the border of NC and Greenville/Spartanburg SC. These areas are up against the NC foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. Not many jobs in Western NC.

May I ask you why are you fleeing FL? Are you fleeing FL in general, or a specific area?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM

saucystargazer, I think you may have misunderstood my post. I tried to explain it better, but must not have done a good job. I'm doing exactly what you suggested. My original area was the pacific northwest, there are a ton of federal jobs in Washington and Boeing is an option, but while there are good school districts the cost of living is high. So as of now, I'm just looking, getting a feel for the different regions, but ultimately will follow where the best job is. Since I don't plan on moving until next summer I probably won't start seriously job hunting until closer to Spring of next year. Sorry for the confusion

QuilterChick, I'm leaving Florida because I can't take the heat and the cost of living is high (we live in the Tampa bay area). The main reason, though, is the school system, it is a complete nightmare here. We moved here to be close to my family after my husband died and I knew I wouldn't stay, but thought it was important for the kids to be around other family for the adjustment and mostly because I kind of fell apart. It's time to move now, but not until my oldest daughter finishes 5th grade, that was her only request. Well, that and snow and a pool and a puppy and...well, you get it. Blackmailed by a 4th grader!

Last edited by fleeing floridian; 03-03-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 38,035 times
If your looking at the Northwest check into Idaho, Wyoming, North or South Dakota, Colorado, The west has a whole different atmosphere then down here. I cant wait to go back. the key is getting away from the big towns in the west. If you live in a bigger city costs are going to be high. So you live like maybe 30 miles away or find a nice small town. We are in North Carolina now and not impressed.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Addie, Fayetteville is one of the least desireable areas in NC; too bad you "landed" there. If you've explored other areas of NC you may change your mind; but I understand, it all depends on lifestyle, schools, children, family and making a living.

Fleeing, Wow ... didn't realize all those problems in FL. Friends of mine are further down near Ft. Myers and love it. But, they are retired. Seem to be some excellent buys on homes there so I'm told. I've only been to the east coast of FL near Ft. LauderdalePompano, and couldn't get out of there fast enough. So I understand that FL has some problems. Is it true that the new Gov. of FL has a criminal history, or is that just rumor. I can't imagine how he got elected if that is true. I sure do understand the snow/pool/puppy scenario!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I'm sorry! I'm so used to people coming on here and thinking they can get a job anywhere and wanting to move here. So I misunderstood your post. It does sound like you know what you are doing though. If you want a big city, Charlotte is it. I would never ever live there though, but thats just me becuase I'm a country girl. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 24,153 times
We are also preparing to flee Fl .I am in awe of your fortitude but think you are making a good decision for your future and that of your kids.I am moving further North,but have lived in NC and really liked many things about the area. Lived near Chapel Hill- schools are very good,weather is nice, not as humid as Charleston, people friendly ,but not too... Hard to beat the weather in the Piedmont region.Cost of living DRAMATICALLY better in NC than FL. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina