Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's probably a challenge for any of us who don't live at the bottom, most disenfranchised rungs of society to really understand the difficulties of things we take for granted as being "simple." I'm willing to admit that I personally don't have an appreciation for how a law like this might impact some of our less-fortunate citizens. I don't doubt there might be some impact at the fringes. Still, I'm not sure that's enough for me to oppose it. I'm very much in favor of free and unfettered access to the polls - it's the bedrock of our republic. But I haven't been convinced that an ID requirement is such a significant barrier to the exercise of voting rights that it should be avoided.
It's nothing more than a naked attempt by Republicans to further disenfranchise the poor and minorities, but it's gonna bite them in the tuchus when it turns out a lot of nursing home residents who haven't driven in years don't have the means to get new photo ID cards and get turned away from the polls. At any rate, poll workers already have the authority to refuse giving a ballot to anyone they suspect doesn't have proper ID. If these clowns were really serious about preventing voter fraud they'd be looking into safety checks on electronic voting machines and ensuring paper receipts for all votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It's nothing more than a naked attempt by Republicans to further disenfranchise the poor and minorities, but it's gonna bite them in the tuchus when it turns out a lot of nursing home residents who haven't driven in years don't have the means to get new photo ID cards and get turned away from the polls. At any rate, poll workers already have the authority to refuse giving a ballot to anyone they suspect doesn't have proper ID. If these clowns were really serious about preventing voter fraud they'd be looking into safety checks on electronic voting machines and ensuring paper receipts for all votes.
How many people do you know that don't have some legal form of ID? My mother was in assisted living the last year of her life but still had her ID. My father didn't drive his last 3 years or so, but he still had his ID.

No, poll workers do not have that authority. They cannot ask for ID and cannot refuse ballots for suspicion of no ID. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Further, if people do not have driver's licenses, they can get a FREE ID card to use for voting. How cool is that?

If a person lacks the initiative to get an easily obtained ID, he has no business voting.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Has anyone actually come up with any of this reported voter fraud? Just how many dead people ARE voting? Just how many people are being bused in from some other state to vote illegally? Just where are all of these people who are voting two or three times, maybe six times?

This bill, entitled "RESTORE CONFIDENCE IN THE GOVERNMENT" will do nothing to restore confidence. If anything, it will result in higher overhead, lower voter turnout and added costs to be shouldered by the taxpayer (this means US).
When I work in a polling place and see how easily fraud can be perpetrated, I have no doubt a lot of fraud is taking place. People have a lot of reason to do all the illegal voting they can, to elect politicians who will increase welfare benefits and tax the working people to pay for them. If you can't see the risk of fraud, you aren't looking very hard.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It's probably a challenge for any of us who don't live at the bottom, most disenfranchised rungs of society to really understand the difficulties of things we take for granted as being "simple." I'm willing to admit that I personally don't have an appreciation for how a law like this might impact some of our less-fortunate citizens. I don't doubt there might be some impact at the fringes. Still, I'm not sure that's enough for me to oppose it. I'm very much in favor of free and unfettered access to the polls - it's the bedrock of our republic. But I haven't been convinced that an ID requirement is such a significant barrier to the exercise of voting rights that it should be avoided.
True, a lot of people are in hard times. But I don't know anyone who doesn't have a legal ID of some sort. Those who need it can get a free ID card. As far as those at the bottom, I see many of them in convenience stores, buying $20 of lottery tickets & $4.50 packs of cigarettes. Guaranteed poverty to continue. Do stupid things & remain poor.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Most people have a driver's license, special NC ID, or military ID. How many people do you know that don't?
Quote:
How many people do you know that don't have some legal form of ID?
Quote:
I don't know anyone who doesn't have a legal ID of some sort.
I think few of us who are reasonably well off, educated, technically literate, etc. are likely to know people who are extremely poor, uneducated, etc. That we don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,979 times
Quote:
When I work in a polling place and see how easily fraud can be perpetrated, I have no doubt a lot of fraud is taking place. People have a lot of reason to do all the illegal voting they can, to elect politicians who will increase welfare benefits and tax the working people to pay for them. If you can't see the risk of fraud, you aren't looking very hard.
No you don't. And what you're describing is a line straight from Rush Limbaugh's fat racist ofay mouth. Voter fraud doesn't work like that and you obviously have never worked in a polling place. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
People have a lot of reason to do all the illegal voting they can, to elect politicians who will increase welfare benefits and tax the working people to pay for them.
Let's try to keep this discussion nonpartisan and not presume that it's all "quote unquote liberals" who would perpetrate fraud "to increase welfare benefits" blah blah blah. The other side of the spectrum theoretically has just as much reason to pad the voting box for their own agenda, or any other voter to support whatever causes, liberal conservative, or moderate, they feel strongly about. You cheapen what had started as a bipartisan discussion by (erroneously) blaming it on one side of the political spectrum. Most of the evidence of likely voter fraud in Ohio in 2004, for example, was pro-Republican.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I think few of us who are reasonably well off, educated, technically literate, etc. are likely to know people who are extremely poor, uneducated, etc. That we don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Can you find one? Surely if there are so many out there, you could find one? Same to all who read this, post about the one you found. Don't have to give a name, just where you "found" him & his situation. Also, why he would not be able to get one of the free ID's being offered.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Let's try to keep this discussion nonpartisan and not presume that it's all "quote unquote liberals" who would perpetrate fraud "to increase welfare benefits" blah blah blah. The other side of the spectrum theoretically has just as much reason to pad the voting box for their own agenda, or any other voter to support whatever causes, liberal conservative, or moderate, they feel strongly about. You cheapen what had started as a bipartisan discussion by (erroneously) blaming it on one side of the political spectrum. Most of the evidence of likely voter fraud in Ohio in 2004, for example, was pro-Republican.
OK, we can leave the issues out of it. Again, I saw the tremendous potential for fraud when I worked a polling place. I knew none of the people there. Others who lived closer by only knew a handful of the voters. Anyone could come in claiming to be someone from the precinct and ask for a ballot. Just had to give name & address. If I were inclined, I could easily put together a list of 15 or 20 people that I knew wouldn't be voting. I could go to their polling places & vote in their names. If several were in the same precinct, I could hire street people to go in and vote in their names, with a list of who to vote for. These things have happened before & the system has no real safeguard against it.

What kind of fraud was perpetrated in Ohio?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
No you don't. And what you're describing is a line straight from Rush Limbaugh's fat racist ofay mouth. Voter fraud doesn't work like that and you obviously have never worked in a polling place. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Well Box, tell us how fraud IS done. You sound like a man who knows. What is your method? BTW, Rush has nothing to do with this. I seldom listen to him. I worked the 2010 election in Durham. How did you decide I didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina