Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,025 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Please excuse, unfamiliar with posting here. I am visiting Mt. Airy in a couple of weeks to interview for a good job offer (healthcare) and look around.
I am a "grit", familiar and comfortable with the south. Have lived mostly in cities in South/West US, will now be coming from small town, coastal GA (cannot abide it). I am comfortable with a small town, but need to be close enough to an area to provide me with the type of food (think Whole Foods), beverages (is it dry there?), shopping etc. within a very reasonable drive. Love to hike, swim, feel I can p/u fishing, maybe skiing in western NC (how far is it, have close friends in Asheville).
In my late 40's, divorced, healthy and spiritual, very "green".
Any advice or opinions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannland View Post
Hi,
Please excuse, unfamiliar with posting here. I am visiting Mt. Airy in a couple of weeks to interview for a good job offer (healthcare) and look around.
I am a "grit", familiar and comfortable with the south. Have lived mostly in cities in South/West US, will now be coming from small town, coastal GA (cannot abide it). I am comfortable with a small town, but need to be close enough to an area to provide me with the type of food (think Whole Foods), beverages (is it dry there?), shopping etc. within a very reasonable drive. Love to hike, swim, feel I can p/u fishing, maybe skiing in western NC (how far is it, have close friends in Asheville).
In my late 40's, divorced, healthy and spiritual, very "green".
Any advice or opinions? Thanks.
It sounds to me like Mt. Airy will suit you just fine, though don't expect it to be very liberal or "green".

You'll have to go to Winston-Salem for the closest Whole Foods, but that's an easy 30 minute drive. Winston Salem will be your go to place for a mall (though Mt. Airy does have a very tiny one with a Penny's and Belk), and any other major shopping or dining.

I find restaurant choices pretty lacking in Mt. Airy. There are all the regular chains you'd expect, including Chilli's and Lonestar Steak House, but that's about it. The county is not dry and you can get alcohol at ABC stores.

The hospital is well regarded.

In a best case scenario you can get to Asheville in 2.5 hours, though it really depends on where in Asheville specifically.

One of the best things about the area is the mountain backdrop and how close you are to many great outdoor opportunities. There are also very active meetup groups out of Winston Salem and Greensboro that go out hiking most weekends when the weather is nice. Being in Mt. Airy you'd be right on the way to where these groups are going a lot of the time.

When you visit be sure to go to the center of town and and old Main Street. It is the essence of Mt. Airy (or "Mayberry" as was popularized by Andy Griffith). There are great shops and places to eat as you walk from one end to the other. I also really like the older homes within walking distance of downtown.

In addition, travel north out of Mt. Airy on hwy 52 to Fancy Gap to really see more of the countryside. You can be at the Blue Ridge Parkway in about 20 minutes. Look for B & B Produce along the way and stop for some fresh fruit, veggies or local honey. Then stop and grab a bite to eat right next to the Parkway at the Gap Deli, if they are open. They are only open weekends right now until Easter I believe.

Hope this helps and good luck with the interview!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,025 times
Dear LM,
Thanks for helping me with my post and those are great suggestions,
The hospital does have a good rep, and I can't help but think of one of my favorite movies, Doc Hollywood, when I think about all this. Hope it turns out that well.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannland View Post
Dear LM,
Thanks for helping me with my post and those are great suggestions,
The hospital does have a good rep, and I can't help but think of one of my favorite movies, Doc Hollywood, when I think about all this. Hope it turns out that well.

You're welcome

Just know, Mt. Airy is not quite as small as that town in Doc Hollywood and it's a little spread out and rural, so only the downtown is real walkable.

Please let us know how it works out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina