Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2006, 01:50 PM

54 posts, read 347,582 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a week or so and have gotten many great ideas. We're driving to NC next week to check out areas of interest for our move. We'll be looking for jobs, as well. I'm in the veterinary field and my husband is in distribution.

Our first stop will be the Greensboro area, then on to Raleigh area and, lastly, Charlotte area. I would love to get some help in pinpointing areas to look in. We DO NOT want to live in the city. We're country folk My husband's work will need to put us outside of a city (within 45 minutes?). We have dogs and horses. We'll be looking for country living in a small, friendly town. We'd like an area with moderate growth (children are grown so schools are not an issue). We pretty much just want a nice, safe area to live in and enjoy our next 10 years before retirement. We'd love to find an area where we would want to stay when we retire!

If you can give us ideas of towns outside of these cities which may suit our critiera, we sure would appreciate it! Also, I know that all cities have their "bad" sides. Which sides should we stay away from?

Thanks so much for your help!

The Bailey Crew.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Welcome to the forum. I sent you a private e-mail. (To your forum user name)

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey Crew View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a week or so and have gotten many great ideas. We're driving to NC next week to check out areas of interest for our move. We'll be looking for jobs, as well. I'm in the veterinary field and my husband is in distribution.

Our first stop will be the Greensboro area, then on to Raleigh area and, lastly, Charlotte area. I would love to get some help in pinpointing areas to look in. We DO NOT want to live in the city. We're country folk My husband's work will need to put us outside of a city (within 45 minutes?). We have dogs and horses. We'll be looking for country living in a small, friendly town. We'd like an area with moderate growth (children are grown so schools are not an issue). We pretty much just want a nice, safe area to live in and enjoy our next 10 years before retirement. We'd love to find an area where we would want to stay when we retire!

If you can give us ideas of towns outside of these cities which may suit our critiera, we sure would appreciate it! Also, I know that all cities have their "bad" sides. Which sides should we stay away from?

Thanks so much for your help!

The Bailey Crew.....

Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM

Thank you for the info, Cassie!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
Default Our area

I live in Orange County. We are 50 minutes from Raleigh and 50 minutes from Greensboro. We are 30 minutes from Research Triangle Park (Durham County) where there is a lot of employment, and 15 minutes from Chapel Hill (UNC). There are a lot of horses in our area (near Hillsborough). We love this area. One downside is that property taxes are higher than in most NC counties. If Greensboro is the definite place of employment, you can go one county to the west of here to Alamance County and find rural property. You will be about 30 minutes from Greensboro and property tax is lower in Alamance County.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
Rural areas outside of Greensboro that I am familiar with are Level Cross, Julian, Climax, Randleman (Randolph County), Franklinville, and Pleasant Garden (love that town).

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 22,207 times
As you travel from GSO to Raleigh along I-40, you will go through Alamance County. This area (Elon, Burlington, Graham, Mebane) has had quite a bit of growth along the interstate, but only a few miles off the interstate, you have nice rural areas. I live about six miles off exit 147, south of Graham and there are nice country places out here. As blueheaven posted, property taxes in Ala Co are lower than most surrounding counties. Randolph County (south of Guilford) also has low property taxes. If you want something really rural, Caswell County and parts of Rockingham may fit the bill. The nice thing about Alamance County is it's location. You have Greensboro not far to the west and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill to the east.

With both I-40 and I-85 running together through the county (with four lanes in each direction!) the commutes aren't too bad.

Happy searching! :-)

Old 08-28-2006, 06:48 PM

Thank you all! We'll definitely check out the areas between Greensboro and Raleigh. That would certainly open up job opportunities. We leave Wed. for NC. I'm really looking forward to the adventure

I'm sure I'll be back on with more questions once we get there!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:27 PM

33 posts, read 118,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
As you travel from GSO to Raleigh along I-40, you will go through Alamance County. This area (Elon, Burlington, Graham, Mebane) has had quite a bit of growth along the interstate, but only a few miles off the interstate, you have nice rural areas. I live about six miles off exit 147, south of Graham and there are nice country places out here. As blueheaven posted, property taxes in Ala Co are lower than most surrounding counties. Randolph County (south of Guilford) also has low property taxes. If you want something really rural, Caswell County and parts of Rockingham may fit the bill. The nice thing about Alamance County is it's location. You have Greensboro not far to the west and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill to the east.

With both I-40 and I-85 running together through the county (with four lanes in each direction!) the commutes aren't too bad.

Happy searching! :-)
Susanne -- do you know anything about the new development called Old Field in Graham? What do you think about the Alamance school district?
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina