Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from the residents of this area… where you are originally from and how do you like living there?
We are tired of how mean the Atlanta area has become and we have been talking about going to NC. We would like an area that is charming, reasonably priced, decent shopping, and low crime. The Pinehurst/ Southern Pines area has been recommended and I have gotten some very helpful info from one of its residents.
My concern is this… I have read many NC threads where the natives express their resentment at northerners moving into their area. I am originally from NY. My husband is from a small town in NC and says that he wouldn’t even consider subjecting me to that “small-town” mentality. We would like an area that allows you to be from somewhere else without feeling like you should apologize for it. So, tell me where you are from! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 AM

14 posts, read 82,541 times
Well, we moved from Columbus, GA to Southern Pines, and I couldn't have been happier.
I don't think you'll have any problems because you are from New York, actually you'll find a lot of people who moved here from the North, Midwest.
You should take a trip up here, it's just about 6 hours from Atlanta.
It's developing slower, but it's about an hour from Raleigh, where you can find everything. Fayetteville is about 40 min, but it's not a nice place to go.
Quite a few grocery stores (Fresh Market is the nicest), restaurants, and shops. Enough for the day by day living.
I hope it helped.
Good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/NC View Post
Well, we moved from Columbus, GA to Southern Pines, and I couldn't have been happier..
Everyone that I have spoken to that lives or knows someone who lives in that area has nothing but good things to say about it. I can't wait to see it for myself!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I would like to hear from the residents of this area… where you are originally from and how do you like living there?
We are tired of how mean the Atlanta area has become and we have been talking about going to NC. We would like an area that is charming, reasonably priced, decent shopping, and low crime. The Pinehurst/ Southern Pines area has been recommended and I have gotten some very helpful info from one of its residents.
My concern is this… I have read many NC threads where the natives express their resentment at northerners moving into their area. I am originally from NY. My husband is from a small town in NC and says that he wouldn’t even consider subjecting me to that “small-town” mentality. We would like an area that allows you to be from somewhere else without feeling like you should apologize for it. So, tell me where you are from! Thanks.
With an attitude like that, you will probably have problems wherever you go. Instead of changing your location, you need to change your attitude.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
With an attitude like that, you will probably have problems wherever you go. Instead of changing your location, you need to change your attitude.

Actually, I think I have a rather good attitude! I don't like the atmosphere in Atlanta so, instead of expecting it to change to suit me as you often accuse Yankees of doing, I will leave it and go someplace else.
And, after consulting my husband, a native of a small town in NC, and reading many threads on this forum, I have learned that many natives in small towns in NC resent Yankees and feel that they are responsible for everything that is wrong with their town. Therefore, in order to be as accomodating as possible I will not pester them with my presence. I will, instead, look for a nice, friendly area that does accept outsiders. When I find such a place I will not tell my neighbors how we did things up north. I will assimilate into my new environment.
So, please explain to me just which part of my attitude you find so troublesome. If it is going to cause me problems everywhere I go, as you suggest, I would like to get started working on fixing it.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Actually, I think I have a rather good attitude! I don't like the atmosphere in Atlanta so, instead of expecting it to change to suit me as you often accuse Yankees of doing, I will leave it and go someplace else.
And, after consulting my husband, a native of a small town in NC, and reading many threads on this forum, I have learned that many natives in small towns in NC resent Yankees and feel that they are responsible for everything that is wrong with their town. Therefore, in order to be as accomodating as possible I will not pester them with my presence. I will, instead, look for a nice, friendly area that does accept outsiders. When I find such a place I will not tell my neighbors how we did things up north. I will assimilate into my new environment.
So, please explain to me just which part of my attitude you find so troublesome. If it is going to cause me problems everywhere I go, as you suggest, I would like to get started working on fixing it.
Anyone who moves to a state of inferior people will one day have a rude awakening that these people are not inferior to them in any way. You have wrong preconceived ideas of small town North Carolina. Small towns in North Carolina have the best people in the world. You really should not move to a state where you think you are better than the people already there. I doubt you will spend every waking minute in the town to which you are moving.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Anyone who moves to a state of inferior people will one day have a rude awakening that these people are not inferior to them in any way. You have wrong preconceived ideas of small town North Carolina. Small towns in North Carolina have the best people in the world. You really should not move to a state where you think you are better than the people already there. I doubt you will spend every waking minute in the town to which you are moving.

What makes you think that the people of NC are in any way inferior to other states? I disagree with you.
I find my husband, a NC native , to be quite charming and very friendly. And, I will point out once again, I am trying to be as accomodating as possible by avoiding even looking at towns that don't like outsiders. There are plenty of places in NC that are accepting of new people moving in from other parts of the country. I will try my best to limit my search to such areas and stay out of areas that do not want outsiders.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why you have such a problem with that. If you wish, you can tell me which town you live in and I will make a solemn vow to you not to move there and subject you to another dreaded yankee.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
NCN

"My husband is from a small town in NC and says that he wouldn’t even consider subjecting me to that “small-town” mentality."

I don't in any way think the people in small towns of North Carolina are inferior in any way. The above statement sounds condesending to me. I am glad you realize that none of these people are inferior to you in any way. I have never known anyone who does not like someone from the North without a reason. Usually it is their condesending attitude. If you don't have one, then I can see no reason for you not to move to any town in North Carolina and probably the South. The only thing I had to go by was your post.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM

40 posts, read 129,899 times
I'm from NY. And if you were really a NYer then once your husband told you to stay away from small town in NC because they hate yankees. You should had said to him, well screw them, I'll go where ever I feel like it. Just kidding. I've traveled threw many towns in NC. And I never felt like I was a dam yankee. They thought I talked funny. But people were very friendly. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnocher View Post
I'm from NY. And if you were really a NYer then once your husband told you to stay away from small town in NC because they hate yankees. You should had said to him, well screw them, I'll go where ever I feel like it. Just kidding. I've traveled threw many towns in NC. And I never felt like I was a dam yankee. They thought I talked funny. But people were very friendly. Good luck.

Where I grew up he might have gotten "kneecapped" for trying to tell someone where to go.
I figure that, if we were moving to NY I would be better qualified to choose where to live because I am familiar with it. Since he lived most of his life in NC he knows the area and the people better, so I will defer to him. And since we both have heard such good things about the Pinehurst area we thought we would start our search there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina