Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,847,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
How popular are English/Irish pubs in these areas? There are quite a few in the Bay Area, but I know in other parts of California there are hardly any around.

Oh, I suppose I should add that I'm Catholic (a pretty bad Catholic; I hardly ever go to church!) and it doesn't seem like it's too popular out there. Do any of these cities have a fair number of Catholics in them?
You are correct that Catholicism is not common among native Southerners, but NC has had many transplants of Irish and Italian heritage in the past couple of decades, both heavy Catholic demographics, that has caused the high-transplant areas of NC to see a boom in interest in Catholicism. Greensboro would be a good bet for that one (and just being a city with a higher population). Boone is the least likely, I think; actually being in the mountains, the religion in the Boone area (maybe not Boone itself, but around Boone) can be very "old-fashioned". That part of the state is very Appalachian in culture, except for Boone itself which has the college-town vibe. I would not imagine you'd find many Catholics in NW NC.

You might check the websites of the three schools, as I'm sure each has a "Catholic Students' Association" or similar. You can write them about the general number of Ctholic students/folks in the area. It's not as if Catholics are ostracized, but you just might have a harder time finding as many as you would in the high-transplant places like Charlotte or Cary/Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,268,827 times
Greenville is less than an hour from Raleigh, not 90mins. Plus East Carolina has A LOT of health sciences/allied health/professional graduate students, so there are a lot of like minded people around that age.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,904,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Greenville is less than an hour from Raleigh, not 90mins. Plus East Carolina has A LOT of health sciences/allied health/professional graduate students, so there are a lot of like minded people around that age.
Realtime, its about an hour and 15 min. If you get there in under an hour you are driving 80+ MPH the entire way down 264/64. This is a drive I have had to make, and track other people making, numerous times.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Boone and Greenville primarily revolve around their schools. They're also both fairly isolated. If (when) you get sick of town, you're looking at 90 minutes minimum to get to anything else from either place. Greensboro is a regular small city with the usual things that entails, and it's closer to other places of interest.
Yea, definitely. Personally I would not want to live in any of the three areas you mentioned (esp Gville- I lived there for a while and hated it) but Greensboro is probably the best option.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM

69 posts, read 159,594 times
Thanks for the information! I haven't heard many good things about Greenville, and it seems like the main appealing thing about it is the popularity of ECU's medical programs and grad students. Sounds like Greensboro or Boone are better to live in.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM

84 posts, read 148,105 times
The middle of the State is where most people live. I lived in Raleigh for 8 years until recently, and had friends in Greeensboro. Greensboro is ok (especially with the colleges), but be careful where you live. Pay more to live in a better area. (Boone is cute but tiny, Greeneville is bigger but also isolated and ECU has a party school rep).

You will end up living in the Triangle, trust me (just east of Greensboro). I'm talking Chapel Hill, Cary, or somewhere in Raleigh. I miss it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina