Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM

69 posts, read 159,508 times

Advertisements

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question, so I'll try my luck here

I am from California and am looking at App State, UNCG, and ECU for speech pathology programs. I have never been to North Carolina before, and I might not have a chance to visit all three areas before moving out there, so I was hoping that some of you could give me insight as to which area would be best for me.

I am from the Bay Area (originally from Illinois, though) and I am ready for a change of pace, so I don't mind being in an area completely different from California. I am fine with both small and large cities (my current town only has about 12,000, but I used to live in a city with 200,000). I would like to be in an area where people are friendly since I won't know anyone.

I did notice that Appalachian had the fewest number of grad students compared to the other two, and I wonder if that's evident in Boone? Would I be able to easily meet other mid-20s people, or is it more of an undergrad town? Are UNCG and ECU similar?

I know it's a bit difficult to judge since these are all in completely different parts of the state, but any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,163,296 times
No offense, but this seems like a rather odd question. Shouldn't your focus be on which one has the best program in which you're interested?

Anyway, to answer your question in very general terms, neither App nor UNC-G are big graduate schools. They have some good grad programs, but their focus is more on undergrad education. ECU has a little more weight in the graduate area (due in part to their med school), and it is a bit larger than the other two. Regardless, all three schools have their merits, and I don't think social life would be a problem at any of them.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,322,948 times
would say that the area to choose would be the one with the school program that best meets your needs

Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 PM

No offense taken All three of those schools have good, well respected programs, and with speech pathology, ranking doesn't matter as much in terms of finding jobs after graduation. I'm just trying to figure out which area I would prefer living in.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,521 times
Boone and Greenville primarily revolve around their schools. They're also both fairly isolated. If (when) you get sick of town, you're looking at 90 minutes minimum to get to anything else from either place. Greensboro is a regular small city with the usual things that entails, and it's closer to other places of interest.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 AM

451 posts, read 1,566,263 times
My best friends' daughter graduated with her masters at App in Speech Therapy and found a job right away in her field. I don't know if it would be the same today because this was a few years ago. My son graduated with his masters in computer science from App State and found a job right away. A lot of my son's friends had graduated by then. Both of these folks loves the area, so it wasn't as important to them that most of their age group had moved on. Jobs here are difficult to come by. Maybe a bigger University like East Carolina would be better for meeting folks your age.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,840,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
I'm just trying to figure out which area I would prefer living in.
And since we are not you, and you haven't really said what you are looking for, there is no way any of us can say what you would like the most. Can you share a little more about what specific things you would consider good or bad in a town?

Boone's main "thing" is that it's in the mountains. Greensboro is a city in a booming metro area. Greenville is a small city that is the "cultural center" of that part of the state.

Here are City-Data's city pages on the three municipalities. We really can't make the subjective decision for you as to which you would like the best (It would be like one of us asking "Hey, which city in California would I like the best?").

Boone
Greensboro
Greenville

Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 33,048 times
Default visit and then decide...

One thing I'll add that's good about Greenboro...there is Elon, High Pt. University, Wake Forest, Elon, UNCG, Guilford College. all within about 30 minutes drive. If you're on the fence whether you'll get into a program this is probably the best hedge. Cost of living is very reasonable and there may be more PT jobs/internships in the area given the size/population.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Boone and Greenville primarily revolve around their schools. They're also both fairly isolated. If (when) you get sick of town, you're looking at 90 minutes minimum to get to anything else from either place. Greensboro is a regular small city with the usual things that entails, and it's closer to other places of interest.
Thank you for this information! I did not realize that Boone and Greenville were more focused around their schools. I would have thought Greenville would be more like Greensboro.

It's hard to say what I'm looking for, because I'm pretty open. I enjoy the southern hospitality in the southern states, and I assume that that will be everywhere in NC. I like the mountains, I like the beach. People were recommending Greensboro to me on the basis that it has more to do in general than the other two cities, but I almost feel like if I move somewhere, it should be to the eastern or western part of the state. I don't know, the middle just seems kind of blah, but I could be wrong

I'm not a club person, but I do enjoy going to the bar and getting a beer. I go to different bars, but I love pubs! How popular are English/Irish pubs in these areas? There are quite a few in the Bay Area, but I know in other parts of California there are hardly any around.

Oh, I suppose I should add that I'm Catholic (a pretty bad Catholic; I hardly ever go to church!) and it doesn't seem like it's too popular out there. Do any of these cities have a fair number of Catholics in them?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM

147 posts, read 471,827 times
Boone is by far the most beautiful being in the mountains, but can feel isolated to people who prefer living in a city. Greensboro is nice with great inexpensive neighborhoods around the campus. It is also fairly close to Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem etc. which are great towns. Greenville is in the eastern part of the sate which IMHO has a much lower quality of life than anything west of Raleigh (beaches not included). If you are outdoorsy at all and love the mountains than App State is a little known gem that will make you very happy. If you don't really care if you live in the mountains or not and want to be able to get easily to more happening towns like Chapel Hill than I'd say UNCG. If you love the beach and it is most important to be able to get to the beach in an hour than Greenville could work. ECU is NOT at the beach but is obviously closer than the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina