Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
We're really not that conservative, though. The state is actually divided, we're more of a swing state like VA but not as liberal. It's more of an urban/rural division. The recent news regarding Pat McCrory is very embarrassing, tons of NC residents don't support him or the anti-LGBT legislation. However, and I'm not picking on SC, but there's still no way NC is more conservative.
I'm not sure if NC is much of a swing state anymore; we'll have to see how the state votes in NC and what the margin of victory is.

NC as a state isn't more conservative than SC (which has actually been getting a little more moderate with the influx of transplants along the coast and in the Charlotte suburbs in particular), but NC's legislature definitely is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
We are overwhelmingly conservative here as in there are way more conservatives here, but for the most part SC conservatives tend to be more middle of the road. SC is a very accepting state, most people dont think that but it absolutely is. We will at least hear you out before automatically dismissing an opposing view. What I think we tend to not like here are extremist on either side. When they had the Black Panthers rally and the KKK rally at the statehouse (both out of state groups) everyone in SC was pissed at both! We kind of hoped theyd both just kill each other so we can get on with living down here!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure if NC is much of a swing state anymore; we'll have to see how the state votes in NC and what the margin of victory is.

NC as a state isn't more conservative than SC (which has actually been getting a little more moderate with the influx of transplants along the coast and in the Charlotte suburbs in particular), but NC's legislature definitely is.
That's fair.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
The folks in North Carolina need to wake up about their government. The right-wing idiots in the state legislature are destroying both the rights of the people and the natural beauty of the state. Apart from the Chinese pig farms that are massively toxifying the land and water, not to mention the horror of the animal abuse that goes on inside those animal concentration camps, environmental laws are being rolled back for further foreign interests, and the educational system is becoming one of the worst in the nation. The old system of property taxes being used to fund education is outdated and needs to be tossed. This merely results in rich kids getting good schools, and poor kids getting next to nothing. Charter schools are not the answer (Ben Franklin is turning in his grave). A high quality public education for all of the nation's children should be priority number one, with outlawing the foreign purchase of American land and business a close second.

On another note: Charleston, SC is one of the most depressing cities I've ever been in. It has a very weird, almost "evil" vibe. Just my personal reaction, of course.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Let me guess. You're a vegetarian?

I think quite a few tourists and residents would tend to disagree with your assessment of Charleston.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Let me guess. You're a vegetarian?

I think quite a few tourists and residents would tend to disagree with your assessment of Charleston.
You don't have to be a vegetarian to be against animal cruelty.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
On another note: Charleston, SC is one of the most depressing cities I've ever been in. It has a very weird, almost "evil" vibe. Just my personal reaction, of course.
Wow. I've never heard anybody say anything even remotely close to this. Charleston isn't everybody's cup of tea, but depressing, weird, and evil????? I don't understand that at all.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wow. I've never heard anybody say anything even remotely close to this. Charleston isn't everybody's cup of tea, but depressing, weird, and evil????? I don't understand that at all.
I know--weird, right? I've actually heard it from other people, but didn't give it much thought until I visited myself. For me, Charleston has a spooky vibe. Even in the artsy downtown area, I walked into a bookstore that had been recommended to me by a Charleston native, and it just felt "alien"--I can't think of any other way to describe it. The whole city "feels" like it's sitting on a deep, dark secret. Something I've never experienced in any other city on either coast or anywhere in between. Who knows why.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I know--weird, right? I've actually heard it from other people, but didn't give it much thought until I visited myself. For me, Charleston has a spooky vibe. Even in the artsy downtown area, I walked into a bookstore that had been recommended to me by a Charleston native, and it just felt "alien"--I can't think of any other way to describe it. The whole city "feels" like it's sitting on a deep, dark secret. Something I've never experienced in any other city on either coast or anywhere in between. Who knows why.
That's....interesting. Charleston was obviously based on slavery--as were a lot of other cities--but that's not a secret.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
It might be hauntings if you feel that way in some buildings but not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina