Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 21,760 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I plan on relocating in a couple years. We are from Columbus, OH and need a change! But we can't even narrow it down yet to which state we'd like to move to... Georgia or North or South Carolina. I'm a nurse and he is in finance. We also hate cold winters and snow! No kids so not worried about schools or anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions to help us narrow it down to at least one state or city?!?!

Thanks!!!!

Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Like I said in the GA forum, I would suggest that you check out Winston-Salem. Wells Fargo recently announced that it will be adding 150 jobs there over the next two years, and with BB&T's recent acquisition of Colonial Bank, some additional jobs may be coming to Winston-Salem since that is where BB&T bank is headquartered. Of course, Charlotte is known as a banking mecca, but Bank of America and Wachovia haven't been doing particularly well lately as you may know. Nursing jobs are pretty much to be had anywhere, so I'd focus on finding the finance job first and Winston-Salem looks like a pretty good prospect as of right now.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,693,426 times
I'd go where the jobs are. But be mindful of cost of living, too.

I'm in NC now but find it too cold here in the winter so I'd go south....Georgia. Savannah. But just above that is SC- Charleston.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,303,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekallen View Post
Hey all,

My boyfriend and I plan on relocating in a couple years. We are from Columbus, OH and need a change! But we can't even narrow it down yet to which state we'd like to move to... Georgia or North or South Carolina. I'm a nurse and he is in finance. We also hate cold winters and snow! No kids so not worried about schools or anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions to help us narrow it down to at least one state or city?!?!

Thanks!!!!

Em
Georgia - Savannah is beautiful

Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,202 times
yes um GA pretty good the weather and stuff!.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,692,069 times
I just moved to Charleston from Winston Salem...there is NO comparing these two!! While I understand the job is crucial.....SC much better overall for avoiding winter, at least mid-state to coastal areas. WS has ice and sleet and snow and gray rainy and chilly days, the same you are hoping to avoid and that I had to escape. Plus I did not care for the town and no beach....

So far I am happy with Charleston as are many....you really need to VISIT of course, the areas you are thinking of...... Both Charleston and Savannah are lovely and full of history....and short trips to the beach!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,364 times
Get job offers in hand, then pursue those areas. Especially in NC. Your resumes are competing against many professionals that are already in state and looking for work.

What you desire in your new home greatly depends on many factors. I can't speak for SC or GA as I have not lived in either. Many parts of NC have been "commercialized" in the bigger cities. The small mom-n-pop vibe has long since gone with the influx of transplants. NC has relatively high taxes (based on my opinion coming from the Midwest) - probably equal or greater to what you'll find in OH. NC does see a lot of ice, but the winters are certainly not that of most of OH. SC/GA also see ice.

If this move isn't for "a couple years" - you might be better to come back when you're actually ready to commit to moving. Until then, visit, visit, VISIT all possible locations that you know this area will be the right fit.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
I hope you guys realize this thread is almost two years old. I'm pretty sure the OP has already made his/her decision by now.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hope you guys realize this thread is almost two years old. I'm pretty sure the OP has already made his/her decision by now.

Blah .. you caught me on this. Original post date is usually the first thing I check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina