Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Just went camping this weekend at an NC state park. It was soooooooo nice!

But one thing we didn't like was the gravel 'pad' that we had to put our tent on. On one hand, I can see how it controls mud and erosion. On the other hand, we couldn't really stake the tent down adequately and thank heaven I had thrown in an air mattress...I usually sleep on just a yoga mat which would have been miserable.

I noticed that some other campgrounds mentioned the gravel pad also. Is this how all the tent sites at NC state parks are?

I may have to invest in a better air mattress...or break down and buy a camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
I'm not sure they're required in all state parks though all of the ones I've been to that allow "car camping" have them and generally they're looked upon as a good thing for campers. This is mainly because having a gravel pad means you don't have to worry as much about having a ground cloth (or positioning one correctly, which is key) to protect your tent from rain. For me, even though the gravel pads can be a pain (literally!) getting soaked in the middle of the night while camping is even worse so I'm glad they're there.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Hello!
Just went camping this weekend at an NC state park. It was soooooooo nice!

But one thing we didn't like was the gravel 'pad' that we had to put our tent on. On one hand, I can see how it controls mud and erosion. On the other hand, we couldn't really stake the tent down adequately and thank heaven I had thrown in an air mattress...I usually sleep on just a yoga mat which would have been miserable.

I noticed that some other campgrounds mentioned the gravel pad also. Is this how all the tent sites at NC state parks are?

I may have to invest in a better air mattress...or break down and buy a camper.
Got to say, gravel pads are pretty standard in NC state parks, and with good reason. I personally find them much easier to stake a tent in

Go ahead and invest in a nicer air mattress.

And be sure to visit my favorite park campground- Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Loop - Stone Mtn. State Park - N.C | EveryTrail

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
That's why we have plenty of pine straw in these parts--to make our tent beds more comfortable!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
That's why we have plenty of pine straw in these parts--to make our tent beds more comfortable!
LOL!

I'd really like to buy a pop up...but I live in the city and have no driveway to park it in!

Guess I'll be looking at those air mattresses again.

In retrospect, it did rain a LOT while we were camping and I'm glad I didn't have a mud soaked tent!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
LOL!

I'd really like to buy a pop up...but I live in the city and have no driveway to park it in!

Guess I'll be looking at those air mattresses again.

In retrospect, it did rain a LOT while we were camping and I'm glad I didn't have a mud soaked tent!
At this point, I would love a pop up myself! But dang those things hold their value! It is very hard to find a decent used one under $5000, and I'd prefer $2000

Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,474,140 times
I've camped alot in WNC and even in the private camp grounds its gravel. I don't ever recall not seeing it there. Pretty standard I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina