Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2006, 05:06 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

Anyone else comparing TN to NC? Prices look good there too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM

37 posts, read 393,456 times
Default I'm looking too

I'm not in a hurry to relocate, but I have wondered about the Asheville area for a long time. We love it there. In my looking around, I am wondering about the other side of the mountain, in TN. I don't know much about it, but am trying to find out. We are trying to check into places near the Blue
Ridge, both sides and top to bottom.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:20 PM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
The Nashville area was ranked #1 "smartest place to live" in a recent issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine that I have. I believe they were factoring economy, entertainment, recreation, education opportunities, and multiple other things along with prices.

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfin.../05/intro.html

http://www.kiplinger.com/personalfin...nashville.html

Old 08-06-2006, 08:58 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Default TN wants you!

Tennessee is heavily advertising all over Florida trying to get people to relocate there. There are inserts in most the major city's newspapers almost every weekend. I believe they have no state income tax like Florida and their homes are comprable in price or even lower. The Tennessee forum is also different. Some actively try to get people to move. Interesting change of pace.

We have checked into eastern TN. Most of the places we like are a little too close to the mountains. I am too old for too cold. But we have not ruled it out entirely.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Anyone else comparing TN to NC? Prices look good there too!

Is it cold there? Does it snow?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Western NC and Eastern TN are pretty much the same topography. The Appalachian Mountains.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:08 PM

22 posts, read 98,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Tennessee is heavily advertising all over Florida trying to get people to relocate there. There are inserts in most the major city's newspapers almost every weekend. I believe they have no state income tax like Florida and their homes are comprable in price or even lower. The Tennessee forum is also different. Some actively try to get people to move. Interesting change of pace.

We have checked into eastern TN. Most of the places we like are a little too close to the mountains. I am too old for too cold. But we have not ruled it out entirely.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've seen the same ads in the St. Pete Times about property in TN.
Here is some info on taxes in different states.

Retirement Living - Taxes by State: New York - Wyoming

Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 94,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
You bet it snows in Ashville, and the mountain areas of Tenn, and NC. But, it's not really that bad. Johnson City, Tn is more affordable than Asheville, NC. Homes are about twice the cost in Ashville, as Johnson City. However, like that one guy said, Asheville is considered the more ideal place of the two. You can check out home prices on realtor.com. Hope this helps. Pamela

Old 07-11-2007, 06:17 PM

216 posts, read 701,386 times
I moved from WPB FL to Chattanooga TN. We came here to be near my fiances family. I like it here. The area is beautiful. I rent a 3/2 1 car garage house for $900. The only bill that is expensive is gas in winter was $160 a month. There are things here that I am not to happy about, the 9.5% tax is very high, the pay is alot lower compared to Charlotte and the people here are very rude, have not seen southern hospitality. We are movin to Charlotte in Nov, I chose to relocate again so we can be near my family, a family that is very family oriented. I will be working the same job pretty much and my pay will be a significant amount more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina