Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was wondering which city offered the most arts (theater, dance, live music, art galleries, ect) in the state? I know about Asheville's artsy reputation, but are there others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Give New Bern a try:

ArtWalk offers street festival feel | street, night, threat - Local News, Weather and Breaking Stories in North Carolina - Sun Journal - newbernsj.com

Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Most of the major cities have good arts scenes. Do you have a particular area of interest?

Many young indie rock musicians looking to get noticed, for example, head to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). There's a very good, supportive, well known indie music scene here. I would say the Triangle is probably the best place in NC to be a musician, but Asheville is also very good. I think they're both better areas for musicians than Charlotte, the Triad, Wilmington, etc. The Cat's Cradle in Carrboro (sister town to Chapel Hill) is a nationally known club that brings in many great artists. Chapel Hill and Carrboro regularly get listed in great places to see music lists: Top 20 Cities With The Hottest Indie Music Venues | Indie Music Universe and Top 10 Lists | America's Best Places To Live, Visit, Travel & Relocate | Livability

Looking at your screen name, though, while there is a bit of a jazz scene here there aren't dedicated jazz clubs that I know of. NC certainly has a rich history of jazz, though, (home to Monk, Nina Simone, Coltrane) and NC Central University has an all jazz radio station.

Excellent dance in the Triangle, Durham hosts the American Dance Festival every summer which is a HUGE deal in dance, with companies like Pilobolus, Mark Morris, Paul Taylor and many others performing throughout June and July.

Lots of theater in the Triangle and art, too.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Yes, of course the bigger the city (whatever the state), the more Arts offerings, usually. But Winston-Salem and maybe Durham have more "Arts per capita", within the NC cites, it seems to me.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Really, Francois? You think W-S has more arts per capita than Carrboro/Chapel Hill? I find that hard to believe and I have friends in the Triad who are artists.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
So, is the Triad a thriving area for the arts? Winston-Salem is often mentioned when this topic is brought up, rarely have I heard anyone mention Raleigh.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Goolsby, can you be more specific about what kind of arts scene you're looking for?

I really don't think Winston-Salem or Durham have more "arts per capita" than Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I certainly do think they have thriving arts scenes, but I think "arts per capita" was maybe not quite the way to phrase that because CH/C has so much to offer and they are much, much smaller towns than W-S or Durham so per person, I'd say CH/C wins. I'd actually stack them up against W-S any day of the week per person or not.

These listings are for Chapel Hill and Carrboro (and one Orange County) only. If you include Durham and Raleigh, the Triangle has a wealth of offerings. Of course, from Chapel Hill the Triad is only 1-1.5 hrs away so easily doable for a special show.

Carolina Performing Arts :: Official HomePage: Welcome to Carolina Performing Arts
PlayMakers
Second Friday Art Walk — Downtown Chapel Hill
The ArtsCenter | always inspiring
Home | Ackland Art Museum | The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
FRANK Gallery
Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau and http://www.visitchapelhill.org/activ...galleries/P10/
Cat's Cradle
DSI Comedy Theater | Improv Comedy Classes and Shows in North Carolina | 919-338-8150
About NC Crafts Gallery
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Region Boasts a Rich Art Scene | Chapel Hill, NC
Orange County Artists Guild
Town of Chapel Hill : Public and Cultural Arts
Local 506
http://paperhand.org
http://carrboromusicfestival.com (free music throughout town this coming weekend)
http://www.deepdishtheater.org

There certainly is art in Raleigh, too, but because there's more suburban sprawl in Raleigh the scene "per capita" is more dilute. You can't turn around in Chapel Hill and Carrboro w/o bumping into an artist/musician/performer or gallery/venue.

You might be interested in perusing the listings in the local alternative weekly paper for the Triangle, Independent Weekly , to get an idea of what's on offer here.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Yes, you are right as far as strong Arts in Chapel Hill/Carrboro--I was mostly thinking of the larger cities. Naturally anywhere with a good university will have easy access to all of the school's music/theatre/art offerings.

As someone else asked, what kind of "arts" do you mean--Visual? Performing? Classical music? Rock music?

I mentioned Winston-Salem because NC School of the Arts is there and I was amazed at the "artiness" of the downtown area the last time I was there, compared to how I had always thought of W-S. They have a great independent theatre group and an opera company, that I've personally seen. But more specificity is bettr in your question.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, you are right as far as strong Arts in Chapel Hill/Carrboro--I was mostly thinking of the larger cities. Naturally anywhere with a good university will have easy access to all of the school's music/theatre/art offerings.

As someone else asked, what kind of "arts" do you mean--Visual? Performing? Classical music? Rock music?

I mentioned Winston-Salem because NC School of the Arts is there and I was amazed at the "artiness" of the downtown area the last time I was there, compared to how I had always thought of W-S. They have a great independent theatre group and an opera company, that I've personally seen. But more specificity is bettr in your question.
Winston-Salem has a long history of support for the arts, establishing the first local arts council in the U.S.in the 1940s. I don't know that it's specifically any better than Chapel Hill or that the Triad is better than the Triangle, but someone looking for a great arts community in NC couldn't go wrong in Winston-Salem.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-17-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina