Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 60's, actively retired and would like to move out of our home state of PA. We would like to move somewhere where the temperatures are more moderate than PA but close enough to PA that we could drive home in 1 day if need be, around 8 to 11 hours max.

We are looking at North Carolina at the present but may consider the top northern area of South Carolina also. My husband likes the ocean, myself not so much, so we compromised and agreed to look for an area where we could drive to the ocean in maybe not more than 2 to 3 hours though this is not a top priority. Neither of us likes steep hilly mountain geography but do like rolling hills area, or occasion small mountains, interspersed with some flat land. Geography would be negotiable.

Important considerations are that my husband loves golf and I own a horse that I spend a good deal of time with so I would like to have several options of boarding facilities nearby. The perfect area would have a horse boarding barn as part of the neighborhood but not a top priority

Our 2 year old granddaughter does become our top priority when she visits so we would like an area where we can find fun things to do with her including a park/playground whether as part of the community or located close by. We also have 2 small dogs, a mini schnauzer and a cute laso mix, that are an important part of our family so a dog friendly area would be a plus.

One of our topmost prioritys is an area with good medical facilities close by, followed by a nice friendly housing area where we feel safe, preferably with tree lined sidewalks where I can walk our dogs and talk to the neighbors on occasion. It would be a bonus if the area would have some sort of store to walk to for a soda or such, if not, within a short driving distance where we could pick up basic groceries and get gas. Stores such a Kmart, Target, TJ Max, Marshalls, grocery store, pharmacy, etc. we would like available in not more than a 15 or 20 minute drive. A nice town area close by with shopping on tree lined streets would be great but not a top priority.

We also have a small home in a retirement area in Florida but will be selling it in the spring. We purchased it with the intent to give it a try and if we liked it to buy a bigger home and move there permanently but unfortunately, although it is in a beautiful area and most of the resident love it there, it is not working out for me.

We would consider a retirement type community if it met most our critera and if it didn't have strict rules on the lenght of time grandchildrent visit which I'm sure would leave out the majority of retirement communities. Our grandchild lives over seas and when she comes over with her mom and dad they may stay with us for a month or two.

Hope I didn’t' give too much info, thank you in advance for any advice or any leads to people that may be able to help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaye View Post
One of our topmost prioritys is an area with good medical facilities close by
close enough to PA that we could drive home in 1 day if need be, around 8 to 11 hours max.
My husband likes the ocean.. agreed to look for an area...maybe not more than 2 to 3 hours
my husband loves golf and I own a horse
Boiled down... like 90% of the other would be transplants:
you are looking for somewhere near one of the (few) major cities and close to an Interstate.
Either the Triangle or the Triad will be fine.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
The OP's wishes also could be met by Pinehurst, Southern Pines and most of Moore County. There are also some equestrian communities in Moore County or nearby in Harnett County. They might also consider the golf community in Wallace.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I agree goldenage, first thing I thought was Pinehurst/Southern Pines. If your husband is a golfer it's nirvana. I don't know how much there is for kids in the immediate area, but they are both small towns (though Pinehurst is the real resort community), however the area is an easy drive (about 1hr) to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and also about an hour to the NC Zoo in Asheboro which is a very nice zoo.

It's a little more than 2 hrs to the beach and about 3 hrs to the mountains. The land there is mostly flat with longleaf or Loblolly pines and some mixed hardwoods.

North Carolina Golf & Spa Resorts | Pinehurst Resort | Golf Vacations North Carolina

Village of Pinehurst - Home Page

Welcome to the Town of Southern Pines, North Carolina

Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
We would consider a retirement type community if it met most our critera and if it didn't have strict rules on the lenght of time grandchildrent visit which I'm sure would leave out the majority of retirement communities. Our grandchild lives over seas and when she comes over with her mom and dad they may stay with us for a month or two.
There are actually very few "age-qualified" or "age-restricted" communities in North Carolina, unlike Florida. Most of the golf resort communities are open to all ages, but may have mostly retirees living there. Del Webb at Caroline Preserve in Cary is one 55+ plus community if you are interested. Their rules on grandchildren are as follows: "What are the rules for visiting grandchildren?
Carolina Preserve is an age restricted community. Children under the age of 19, may stay no more than 90 days in a consecutive 12 month period."

On the other hand, Carolina Trace in Sanford is a community which I believe might be good for children.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-22-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Yes, others have beaten me to the Sandhills area (Southern Pines/Pinehurst). It's a golf paradise (hosted the US Open twice fairly recently and coming again in 2014, I think) AND known for horse farms. My niece-by-marriage is an equine vet there, in fact, and she relocated to there because of all the horses. My own father retired to that area 20 years ago and still lives there. you're not teriibly far from Charlotte OR Raleigh, and Fayetteville is close by for a big shopping mall, etc. And it hasn't become so overgrown and sprawled like so many of the "heavy transplant" areas of NC such as the Triangle or Charlotte.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
My husband and I are in our 60's, actively retired and would like to move out of our home state of PA. We would like to move somewhere where the temperatures are more moderate than PA but close enough to PA that we could drive home in 1 day if need be, around 8 to 11 hours max.

We are looking at North Carolina at the present but may consider the top northern area of South Carolina also. My husband likes the ocean, myself not so much, so we compromised and agreed to look for an area where we could drive to the ocean in maybe not more than 2 to 3 hours though this is not a top priority. Neither of us likes steep hilly mountain geography but do like rolling hills area, or occasion small mountains, interspersed with some flat land. Geography would be negotiable.

Important considerations are that my husband loves golf and I own a horse that I spend a good deal of time with so I would like to have several options of boarding facilities nearby. The perfect area would have a horse boarding barn as part of the neighborhood but not a top priority

Our 2 year old granddaughter does become our top priority when she visits so we would like an area where we can find fun things to do with her including a park/playground whether as part of the community or located close by. We also have 2 small dogs, a mini schnauzer and a cute laso mix, that are an important part of our family so a dog friendly area would be a plus.

One of our topmost prioritys is an area with good medical facilities close by, followed by a nice friendly housing area where we feel safe, preferably with tree lined sidewalks where I can walk our dogs and talk to the neighbors on occasion. It would be a bonus if the area would have some sort of store to walk to for a soda or such, if not, within a short driving distance where we could pick up basic groceries and get gas. Stores such a Kmart, Target, TJ Max, Marshalls, grocery store, pharmacy, etc. we would like available in not more than a 15 or 20 minute drive. A nice town area close by with shopping on tree lined streets would be great but not a top priority.

We also have a small home in a retirement area in Florida but will be selling it in the spring. We purchased it with the intent to give it a try and if we liked it to buy a bigger home and move there permanently but unfortunately, although it is in a beautiful area and most of the resident love it there, it is not working out for me.

Hope I didn’t' give too much info, thank you in advance for any advice or any leads to people that may be able to help us.
I'll second or third Moore Co.

Look no further than Moore Co. in particular the towns around and including Pinehurst.

We have the best golf in NC and lots of horse activities. plus the top rated First Health of the Carolinas medical facility located right in Pinehurst.

Lots of shopping in and around Southern Pines which is next door to Pinehurst.

Most of the stores you mentioned are in Southern Pines. No Target yet.

Been here two years and still have that snow shovel I brought down from NJ and still have not used it.

Depending where in Pa you want to travel to it's 7-10 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina