Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM

221 posts, read 357,728 times

Advertisements

Let us never forget the sons of North Carolina

The Forgotten Sons: North Carolinians in the Union Army

God Bless all of North Carolina from the Eastern Shores OBX

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Looks very interesting--don't have time to read it all right now, but I plan to later. It is true that we don't hear much about Union supporters in the South. Thanks for the link.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM

567 posts, read 1,012,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Looks very interesting--don't have time to read it all right now, but I plan to later. It is true that we don't hear much about Union supporters in the South. Thanks for the link.
Well at the time they were considered traitors so that might have something to do with it. Just a thought.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Well at the time they were considered traitors so that might have something to do with it. Just a thought.

Irony anyone?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
all the links for each chapter work at the top of the screen for part II - part VI if you want to read all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
what side are you referring to ?

Quote:
Irony anyone?
yes Irony

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
This was known as war of brother against brother and there were many union soldiers from NC. Admit it must be an interesting paper and worthwhile to those who don't know NC history.

Given our love of our kin and remembrance of ancestors, if someone had ancestors who served in that war on either side then they are not forgotten.

Also surely most people know that there were many union soldiers from eastern NC and western NC. and East TN. They would also know that NC was not keen to get into this war and did not want to secede. Finally when surrounded by our Confederate brethren states, NC and TN simultaneously seceded basically by agreement, NC then TN as the last to secede NC was the first to rejoin the union (could be wrong on this but don't think so). Our great and beloved Governor Zebulon B Vance and his predecessor did their best to keep us out, mitigated the damage done when in, and provided troops to the Confederacy as required.

I too served my country and echo your sentiments. God Bless America. May she long be free.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 11-14-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teve.torbes View Post
They're not too happy with one department of the federal gubmint down there.
This thread is not about politics this thread is only about men who served their Country and the history of North Carolina.

members please do not post politics on this thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
This was known as war of brother against brother and there were many union soldiers from NC. Admit it must be an interesting paper and worthwhile to those who don't know NC history.

Given our love of our kin and remembrance of ancestors, if someone had ancestors who served in that war on either side then they are not forgotten.

Also surely most people know that there were many union soldiers from eastern NC and western NC. and East TN. They would also know that NC was not keen to get into this war and did not want to secede. Finally when surrounded by our Confederate brethren states, NC and TN simultaneously seceded basically by agreement, NC then TN as the last to secede NC was the first to rejoin the union (could be wrong on this but don't think so). Our great and beloved Governor Zebulon B Vance and his predecessor did their best to keep us out, mitigated the damage done when in, and provided troops to the Confederacy as required.

I too served my country and echo your sentiments. God Bless America. May she long be free.
Your father, he said he needs you
Your mother, she says she loves you
Your brothers, they echo your words

Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Great thread topic. This forum has had discussion on confedeates but I didn't know about the Union North Carolians.
I did a thread on the confedrate soldiers that I revive usually around memorial days as I believe we should remember soldiers that fought for this country whether they are Confederates or Union. I wish I had time to read your link but its a busy week on CD and life.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Here is a good example what the war in eastern NC was like....

An account of the assassination of loyal citizens of North Carolina, for ... - Rush Christopher Hawkins - Google Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina