Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM

519 posts, read 983,838 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal in North Carolina for a business to require a customer's personal information (address and phone number) during an in-person transaction paid using a credit card for basic goods such as clothing?

I have been told by a local business in Raleigh that such information is required, yet the business doesn't offer a privacy policy. Also, I would think that any such transactional agreement would be between the credit card company and the customer.

I think of all the purchases I have made at local businesses using credit cards, yet have never been told that my personal information is required to complete the transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM

22,739 posts, read 36,994,650 times
The only thing I've ever been asked for is billing zip code.

You should call your cc company to check your cardholder agreement.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM

826 posts, read 1,937,943 times
Sometimes I decline to provide my phone number and have never had a problem. Have never been asked for my address. Really, they are just using that information to track you and/or send you promotional stuff!

Not sure of any actual laws but if they asked for it and I felt uncomfortable providing it, I wouldn't shop there!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,843,943 times
You can decline phone and email requests, but I usually provide my zip-code. Never been asked for my full address before.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The only thing I've ever been asked for is billing zip code.

You should call your cc company to check your cardholder agreement.
I will do that. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Sometimes I decline to provide my phone number and have never had a problem. Have never been asked for my address. Really, they are just using that information to track you and/or send you promotional stuff!

Not sure of any actual laws but if they asked for it and I felt uncomfortable providing it, I wouldn't shop there!
I felt uncomfortable because I have never been asked and I have never heard that it was required. Because if it was required, I would think that all the businesses who never asked were breaking the law.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
You can decline phone and email requests, but I usually provide my zip-code. Never been asked for my full address before.
I wish I could find a statute in NC law that said I'm not required to give such info out to them. I did ask a local government official if he knew of any law and he said he didn't, but I would I would like written proof to show that business. Like I stated before, I thought any agreement was between me and the card company.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,057,139 times
I repeatedly get asked for phone & address. I always say I don't give that info out.
I only have a cell number and guard it ..
I was told while shopping last night that it is a security check in case my card were stolen.
How about "see ID" & Personal pin # security checks??

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,308,415 times
I would show them my valid NC Driver's License to show I was indeed the cardholder - and be THRILLED they asked or required that - but not more.

When you pay in cash, they certainly do not have any right to get additional potentially private info from you.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,513 times
I have been a victim of Identity Theft and will NEVER provide ANY information when purchasing by CC, including showing my ID. By providing your ID along with your CC you are giving a thief enough information to steal your identity. Even if they clerk is not a thief, there may be someone else who has placed a camera in a position to be able to record credit cards and ID's.

They can "ask" for ID but the only thing they can require according to their Merchant Agreements (Visa/Mastercard) is that your signature match. And do NOT sign your card with "show ID" or you are technically voiding the card. (unless of course that is your legal name!!) When they ask to see ID, I simply say "no I do not do that" and they normally just continue ringing me up. A few times they have still refused to continue and I am normally willing to stand my ground and escalate it unless I am in a hurry. If they give you a hard time, ask for a manager and tell them to call in a "Code 10" and that will normally do the trick.

If this business refuses to sell to you, you can report them here:
Support | Ask MasterCard® | Merchant Violations | Customer Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina