Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiS View Post
.... do NOT sign your card with "show ID" or you are technically voiding the card. ....
I've been doing this for 20+ years, and other than having an alert salesperson actually ask to see my ID once every 3-4 months or so, it's never been questioned. And I really don't like the idea of providing a thief a sample of my signature to let them advance to forger too.

To the OP:
I really doubt that there is a law protecting you from stores who wish to obtain whatever information they want to ask. Too many do that already.

All you need to remember is that you can always just say "Nope", insist them handing back all charge slips, and walk out the door.
If it's for a required service, like a utility, then ask them to show you, In Writing, the regulations they are following, so you can review it with the State Utility Commissioner.

I had a friend who worked for me get his ID stolen, and he tracked pretty closely the average that I'd heard, of spending about 50 man hours over about 2 calendar months, getting everything cleaned up. A real HUGE hassle. So I'm quite careful.

When asked for my phone, I just reply "It's unlisted". One place insisted on a number, any number, for their computer. For that, I just give them (919) 555-1212, and that has always been accepted. I only get one or two unsolicited phone calls A MONTH and I want to keep staying below that radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I always tell them that my phone number is 867-5309 and that my address is 1313 Mockingbird Lane

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I always tell them that my phone number is 867-5309 and that my address is 1313 Mockingbird Lane
LOL - some news outfit did a story one night about you can go into any store in the US that uses rewards card and when you say "I don't have my card" and they ask for your phone #, just use the local area code and 867-5309 and it's in their system

If you are saying that this store is insisting on STORING your info, then that's not kosher. You have every right to refuse give it. I always decline. If they want to verify your identity, a quick license check is suitable for their purposes.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
It's pretty simple: A merchant has the right to ask for personal information, and you have the right not to do business with them if you don't want to provide it.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
When they ask for zip or phone number I just make them up.
If anyone asked for my address, I would ask what time they were delivering whatever Im buying! Otherwise you dont need my address....

Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
When they ask for zip or phone number I just make them up.
If anyone asked for my address, I would ask what time they were delivering whatever Im buying! Otherwise you dont need my address....
Merchants can choose what level of verification is needed to process a card. Just like pay at the pump gas stations often require a zip code. Lie about the zip code and you get no gas.

Something else that can be checked is your street number. I've never heard of a valid request for an in person transaction but it is an option the cred card processors use.

So I guess I'd give out a zip code but anything else is going to make their day less pleasurable when I raise a fit.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM

519 posts, read 981,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's pretty simple: A merchant has the right to ask for personal information, and you have the right not to do business with them if you don't want to provide it.
Very true and I do agree. Yet this business was saying that I was required to share such information to complete the transaction.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM

519 posts, read 981,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Merchants can choose what level of verification is needed to process a card. Just like pay at the pump gas stations often require a zip code. Lie about the zip code and you get no gas.

Something else that can be checked is your street number. I've never heard of a valid request for an in person transaction but it is an option the cred card processors use.

So I guess I'd give out a zip code but anything else is going to make their day less pleasurable when I raise a fit.
My wife raised the point about the credit card processing aspect. Maybe the business doesn't have proper security measures and this is their way of covering their butt. I wonder what they do with a customer's information once they have it stored in their database.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
My wife raised the point about the credit card processing aspect. Maybe the business doesn't have proper security measures and this is their way of covering their butt. I wonder what they do with a customer's information once they have it stored in their database.
If they were part of a chain I'd go over the manager's head. If they were local I'd want to talk to the owner and make it clear that a complaint was going to be made to the BBB and Attorney General. The AG would tell you if it was legal or not.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 PM

683 posts, read 1,883,705 times
I wonder if they do not have a credit card reader/scanner and instead are entering the info. manually in to a web form like we would do if we are shopping online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina