Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:30 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wake's net migration, at 187,690, is 10,000 greater than Mecklenburg (119,307) and Union (58,382) Counties combined. (I included this stat to bring some balance to the "Wake is physically larger than Mecklenburg" argument.)
Then you should have included York county SC as well. Most of Union and York's growth takes place near each counties' border with Meck. FWIW, York county and Union county are the fastest growing counties in their respective states. Also, York county SC is a fun place to visit IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTl7Vdy9j0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Ujd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbLARV9tDg&feature=fvw

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I think GayCharlotteGuy and UrbanCharlotte are the same person. Very similar posting pattern, language, and grammar.

Completely False

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-31-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
[quote=urbancharlotte;17664120]Then you should have included York county SC as well. Most of Union and York's growth takes place near each counties' border with Meck. FWIW, York county and Union county are the fastest growing counties in their respective states. Also, York county SC is a fun place to visit IMO.

Oh come on. You can't be serious that I should have included yet another county in order to compare Mecklenburg to Wake. With Union County included already, the combined area of the two counties blows away the physical size of Wake.

I will say that I think it hurts metrolina politically to have a substantial chunk of its metro in another state. Essentially, these people have no voice in what happens to Charlotte politically from a state perspective.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 PM

I think what UrbanCharlotte is trying to say is that if you wanted a fair comparison Between the "true" population of Mecklenburg VS. Wake county if you could grow/shrink them to the same size, that it would be more fair to count in parts of surrounding countries of Mecklenburg as opposed to just adding on an extra county.

Here are a few population density maps. I posed a variety. Note that Charlotte Metro Growth is in a circle with Charlotte being the epicenter as opposed to Raleigh Metro which looks like a Broken arch. It goes to show that Mecklenburg/Charlotte is the sole economic engine for the Metrolina region and surrounding countries which can clearly be seen. As opposed to The Triangle who relies on 3 competing cities/Areas

But as of now, Mecklenburg ain't growing nor is Wake shrinking in size and thus, Wake will be (or is?) the most populous .

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-01-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
This tells me that Wake is a "younger" county.

Interesting stuff indeed.
What's the point in being "younger" when most of the young people I know in the Triangle are dying to grow up and leave their boring home area? And why did the "younger" county vote for George W. the same year that Meck voted for Kerry? Wake up dude. Raleigh isn't what YOU think it is compared to Charlotte. It just isn't...

Most young folks (especially of color) would rather be somewhere else than Raleigh. It is what it is. Case in point, the CIAA tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrMo7eHwms

Scenes like this hasn't stopped Raleigh's mayor from trying to win the tournament back from Charlotte though.

Mayor: Raleigh to Make Another Play to Host CIAA Tournament :: WRAL.com

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 02-01-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Most young folks (especially of color) would rather be somewhere else than Raleigh. It is what it is. Case in point, the CIAA tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrMo7eHwms

Yeah. Charlotte never has a shortage of "People of color" during events such as New Year's and apparently that event. clearly demonstrated in that video.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
Yeah. Charlotte never has a shortage of "People of color" during events such as New Year's and apparently that event. clearly demonstrated in that video.
Yeah, this always bring up the touchy subject of Charlotte becoming the next "black mecca". I personally don't like such terms, but I can see why some folks feel that it is justified. Like Atl, Charlotte seems to be getting more comfortable with letting its young urban folks "be themselves".

I have also noticed an increase in the skater boy (skinny jean wearing) crowd on the streets too. Especially in the Southend area near where Jillians used to be. The skater boys pretty much own Camden Road near the trolley museum.

These are just a few examples of why I laugh when some Raleighites try to make Charlotte out to be an "older population". Less children doesn't mean "younger". It simply means fewer families (ie, less suburban). That is the biggest difference between Wake and Meck schools. Meck is clearly more urban and more "colorful". This fact is why "some folks" wouldn't dare place their kids in Meck schools. Again, very touchy subjects here, but very true subjects as well.

It's sad when my step son is the only white kid on the varsity basketball team at Waddell High (a school that will be closing next year ). On the flip side, he has a few phone numbers from two black girls (playa playa) so he gets along just fine. FWIW, I am a black male with three white step sons (two living with me, the other living in Kentucky with his dad) and one biracial son of my own. What I like about Charlotte is that I see quite a few families like mine down here (enough for us not to feel uncomfortable at all). Some folks do stare, but that's everywhere (not just the south). Charlotte is pretty cool about things like that.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 AM

265 posts, read 329,905 times
As far as this topic goes, obviously I pick Charlotte because I live here. But I've enjoyed Raleigh as well and could see myself living there comfortably if I had to, although I'd miss certain things about Charlotte.

Quote:
I will say that I think it hurts metrolina politically to have a substantial chunk of its metro in another state. Essentially, these people have no voice in what happens to Charlotte politically from a state perspective.
I don't see how it hurts. If anything, it helps. Whatever benefits Charlotte will benefit the entire region, so for certain things instead of just having NC politicians going to bat for Charlotte, you can have politicians from two states doing so.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

I have also noticed an increase in the skater boy (skinny jean wearing) crowd on the streets too. Especially in the Southend area near where Jillians used to be. The skater boys pretty much own Camden Road near the trolley museum.
ha ha, yeah. Never a shortage of the skaters near Jillians.

On a side note. CONGRATS TO CHARLOTTE! Host of the 2012 DNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
On a side note. CONGRATS TO CHARLOTTE! Host of the 2012 DNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew they were gonna pic us. I didn't want to sound too cocky, but Charlotte was the only city in the south running in the finals.

Feb 1st is the first day of black history month. Obama is half-black. Charlotte is in the south. I had a feeling our first black president's reelection was gonna be held in the south. This was a message that the Nation wanted to send to the world about the "New South". Charlotte just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I just hope this event doesn't raise my property taxes too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina