Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

A bill expected to be introduced in the General Assembly by Republicans would give at-risk or low-income students money for tuition at private schools using public state funds. Legislators have not yet detailed where they would get the money to pay for the initiative.

House speaker Thom Tillis confirmed Monday that Republican lawmakers are drafting legislation that would provide state-paid private school scholarships intended for what he described as low-income or at-risk children.
GOP bill would pay private tuition with state cash | Salisbury Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
House speaker Thom Tillis confirmed Monday that Republican lawmakers are drafting legislation that would provide state-paid private school scholarships intended for what he described as low-income or at-risk children.
Good grief, I hope this bill doesn't go very far. If private school tuition runs $20,000/ year/child, how many children could the state afford in private schools? What would determine which child gets the money? I see tremendous potential for abuse.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The principle reason that public schools are weak today is because too many of the strongest
kids from the strongest families are going elsewhere. The State (and counties) should not
fund charters or support home schooling in any way.

The idea of actually paying private school tuition outright... is beyond the pale.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Anyone elected to serve the public should be doing everything in their power to support public education, not doing things to undermine it.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The principle reason that public schools are weak today is because too many of the strongest
kids from the strongest families are going elsewhere. The State (and counties) should not
fund charters or support home schooling in any way.

The idea of actually paying private school tuition outright... is beyond the pale.

I'll have to disagree on this. There aren't that many private schools to make such a big impact. The principle reason that schools are weak is the principal reason (bad pun, I know...). The leadership in most schools and administrative offices is woefully bad. Misplaced or no accountability, poor or nonexistent evaluation methods, and difficulty in removing bad administrators, on top of extreme political influence, give the schools little chance of success.

And I agree that public funding of private schools is a ridiculous notion, except perhaps in the case of schools for special needs children that serve multiple school districts.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The principle reason that schools are weak is the principal reason (bad pun, I know...).
The leadership in most schools and administrative offices is woefully bad.
If you want to get into that end of it... then you're talking about school system.
And more pointedly the social worker role that is expected of them.
I really didn't want to bite on that apple.

But it still gets back to the basic premise that the best students from the best families...
the people who get involved with the school, help with programs, do the PTA thing,
and most importantly prepare their kids to learn when still at home...
aren't going to stick around if they have a choice in the matter.

Quote:
And I agree that public funding of private schools is a ridiculous notion, except perhaps
in the case of schools for special needs children that serve multiple school districts.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
I have two kids in public schools now as well as extended family working in education.

Public education has always had challenges. Throughout my adult life people have always complained about how bad public education is. I imagine that they've been complaining about how bad public education has been since the first public school.

If this happens, it has to go one of two ways:
1. the state will divert money from existing schools
2. the state will spend more money on education

#1 seems like a shame to divert money away from schools that need it. While I don't mind spending more on education (#2), we seem to be in a time where money is tight. Doesn't seem like now is the time to start some new high cost program.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
I'll have to disagree on this. There aren't that many private schools to make such a big impact. The principle reason that schools are weak is the principal reason (bad pun, I know...). The leadership in most schools and administrative offices is woefully bad. Misplaced or no accountability, poor or nonexistent evaluation methods, and difficulty in removing bad administrators, on top of extreme political influence, give the schools little chance of success.

And I agree that public funding of private schools is a ridiculous notion, except perhaps in the case of schools for special needs children that serve multiple school districts.
I beg to differ. That's the cop out for a dysfunctional society seeking a scape goat. If all the leaders, administrators and teachers had to do was simply focus on their jobs then the entire system would be more effective. However, they've had to become social workers amongst other things in the process. I think most do a helluva job given the circumstances, funding levels and unrealistic parental expectations.

Education and discipline values are founded in the homeplace, the school is simply a place to augment and elevate those principles. At least that used to be the framework.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I beg to differ. That's the cop out for a dysfunctional society seeking a scape goat. If all the leaders, administrators and teachers had to do was simply focus on their jobs then the entire system would be more effective. However, they've had to become social workers amongst other things in the process. I think most do a helluva job given the circumstances, funding levels and unrealistic parental expectations.

Education and discipline values are founded in the homeplace, the school is simply a place to augment and elevate those principles. At least that used to be the framework.

That's fine to have your own opinion, but I know for a fact that many administrators have little to do with the "social worker" aspect. Many administrators don't get involved with these issues, leaving it up to the teachers and/or guidance counselors. If you think "most do a helluva job", then you're either lucky enough to live in an area that has some of the few good administrators, or you haven't spent enough time in schools.

I can tell you that many of the "problems" in schools today relate to:

--Poorly prepared and poorly supervised teachers who can't (or won't) teach effectively. That includes teaching to the "social worker" cases you reference, by which I assume you mean "at risk" kids. These kids can be reached, and discipline problems avoided, using certain techniques and attitudes (not the least of which is a little caring and respect for them, rather than viewing them as simply problems to be dealt with).

--Administrators who are focused too much on their own careers, unimportant rules, and "not upsetting the apple cart", as opposed to focusing on what's best for all the kids.

--Resistance to change and innovative techniques on the part of both teachers and administrators. What works for some kids may not work for others, and even tried and true methods need to be constantly tweaked to be sure they remain current and effective.

My perspective comes from being married to a 25-year teacher, who is successful and very well-respected, despite endless frustration with administrators at every school she's been employed. She teaches special education and at-risk kids, and she has virtually no discipline problems while other teachers struggle to control the very same kids. Yes, to some degree kids will be kids, but my wife is proof that discipline can be maintained even for the very worst behavior problems. And she doesn't do it by being a witch...the kids like her because she cares about each and every one of them, and she structures her class time such that it's engaging and interesting for them regardless of their level.

You can blame the parents/home life all you want, and often that is the root of the problem with kids, but placing blame doesn't do anything to help the kids. We need leaders who recognize that the home situation is what it is, and who are willing to help all kids reach their potential despite the cards they're dealt.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
That's fine to have your own opinion, but I know for a fact that many administrators have little to do with the "social worker" aspect. Many administrators don't get involved with these issues, leaving it up to the teachers and/or guidance counselors. If you think "most do a helluva job", then you're either lucky enough to live in an area that has some of the few good administrators, or you haven't spent enough time in schools.

I can tell you that many of the "problems" in schools today relate to:

--Poorly prepared and poorly supervised teachers who can't (or won't) teach effectively. That includes teaching to the "social worker" cases you reference, by which I assume you mean "at risk" kids. These kids can be reached, and discipline problems avoided, using certain techniques and attitudes (not the least of which is a little caring and respect for them, rather than viewing them as simply problems to be dealt with).

--Administrators who are focused too much on their own careers, unimportant rules, and "not upsetting the apple cart", as opposed to focusing on what's best for all the kids.

--Resistance to change and innovative techniques on the part of both teachers and administrators. What works for some kids may not work for others, and even tried and true methods need to be constantly tweaked to be sure they remain current and effective.

My perspective comes from being married to a 25-year teacher, who is successful and very well-respected, despite endless frustration with administrators at every school she's been employed. She teaches special education and at-risk kids, and she has virtually no discipline problems while other teachers struggle to control the very same kids. Yes, to some degree kids will be kids, but my wife is proof that discipline can be maintained even for the very worst behavior problems. And she doesn't do it by being a witch...the kids like her because she cares about each and every one of them, and she structures her class time such that it's engaging and interesting for them regardless of their level.

You can blame the parents/home life all you want, and often that is the root of the problem with kids, but placing blame doesn't do anything to help the kids. We need leaders who recognize that the home situation is what it is, and who are willing to help all kids reach their potential despite the cards they're dealt.
I've taught at the high school, community college and collegiate level. How can you label most administrators as ineffective based solely on your wife's perspective and experiences? As with any job in private industry, older professionals tend to have disdain for the current structure and simply fill burnt out. That's a huge generalization and disservice to I know many administrators and leaders who make siginificant sacrifices...much like the teachers.

Some people and parents tend to think there some great model or unfounded secret to student success other than good old fashioned parental involvement. There isn't! However, effective teachers can and do inspire students to higher levels of achievement. Most teachers and administrators poored their hearts and souls into those schools....it's a draining thankless job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina