Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 16,170 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am newly married and my husband and I are both 22. We are looking to relocate in the next few months but we are torn between a couple different cities in NC (Raleigh, Charlotte, Cary, etc.) or in TX, specifically Austin. We want to settle down for awhile and possibly have kids wherever that may be in the next 5 or 6 years. We are coming from Colorado Springs, CO.

Words of Wisdom?

Job market?
Cost of living?
Things to do?
Family friendly?
Purchasing homes?
Family Christian churches?
Weather?
Things we should know?

This is posted in both the Texas and North Carolina forum. Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think the Texas job market is better overall. What fields are you looking in? Texas is hotter. Austin can't be beat as a music town if you're into that although the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill/Carrboro) is well known in music circles also.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaften View Post
Words of Wisdom?
You're 22 with no kids. You can go anywhere.
But like EVERYONE else... focus on the job first then work the rest in around the edges.

And if it doesn't work out in 3 years?
You'll be 25 with no kids. You can still go anywhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Weather?
Things we should know?
Texas weather may have more extremes, like a bad drought a couple of years ago. Some areas are prone to flash-flooding.

The tax structure is different, as Texas has no income tax, so things are financed through higher property taxes and higher sales tax. Austin suburbs are very pleasant, and I'd consider the real estate affordable.

North Carolina has both an income tax and property taxes, maybe a slightly higher overall tax burden. You might look for a state tax comparison chart. If you expected to be in a super-high income bracket, the tax picture favors Texas.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM

209 posts, read 462,150 times
Job market? Depends. What field?
Cost of living? North Carolina, definitely.
Things to do? Depends what you're into. Both have plenty.
Family friendly? North Carolina.
Purchasing homes? More house for your money in NC.
Family Christian churches? Probably more in North Carolina.
Weather? Texas is too hot. North Carolina has four seasons.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 16,170 times
Default Re

Thanks for he information everyone, I really appreciate it. My career field is financial aid at colleges. Past experience is with proprietary schools which makes it difficult to get a job at a state school. Just graduating with my BS in organizational leadership in May so overall pretty open to entry level jobs.

Would you say the people are about the same? Coming from Colorado, people are not the friendliest

If we are looking to buy a house what are recommendations you may have for which might be better?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
If we are looking to buy a house...?
I'd say to wait until you're established in whatever job(s) you find...
and are CERTAIN that you'll both be welcome there and WANT to be there for no less than five years.

You will not be able to know those answers any sooner than two years.
So you RENT until then.

Quote:
Would you say the people are about the same?
People are pretty much the same everywhere.

Men in Black - People - YouTube

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think North Carolina is a little more family oriented than Austin. I think I'd go to Austin since y'all are so young. Then later on when you're ready to start a family if you're still interested in NC come then.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,168 times
The Austin Chamber has a free magazine to help with your questions on Austin. I believe they'll even mail it for free too.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Pick Austin, TX. Charlotte, NC definitely doesnt cater to singles like Austin would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina