Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:45 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post

One good thing about GA is that college tuition is paid by the state for high school grads. That's something to consider.
Don't know what kind of research the PP has done, and what the child's issues are, but for us, GA was a "no go" state, there were no programs for our daughter and no benefits for disabled children in the state.....NC has decent benefits (CAP, Medicaid waiver if your childs disability is severe). Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM

205 posts, read 989,800 times
I need an explaination on this one...my son is disabled and receives medicaid because of it....does GA not offer medicaid, etc for disabled children??
Any info is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Don't know what kind of research the PP has done, and what the child's issues are, but for us, GA was a "no go" state, there were no programs for our daughter and no benefits for disabled children in the state.....NC has decent benefits (CAP, Medicaid waiver if your childs disability is severe). Just something to think about.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 21,043 times
Winston-Salem is not the place to go. I lived there for some time, matter of fact graduated senior high school there. You have Hanes Mall which is ok as malls go but not that great.

Parts of Winston to avoid would be the South, East and North sides. The South side which would be around Silas and Peters Creek Parkway area (Middle class to poor white). North side would be around the airport and Patterson Ave (poor black). The East side is solidily black (welfare).

The West Side is downtown and Reynolda Road area where all the money lives.

Chapel Hill and Durham have the BEST hospitals and I believe Chapel Hill has a children's hospital there. Both of them get the best and most up to date medical equipment and love to experiment.

Check where North Carolina stands as far as education in the US and you will see that it is quite low on the list. Schooling is not something that NC can brag about.

If you are looking at the Western part of the state you are going to have to back off and compromise on your wants/needs. You get some of what you want but not all.

Any Metro city is going to have a crime and drug problem no matter where you go.

I have lived in Florida (Tampa, Clearwater, Tallahassee, Naples). I lived just outside of Atlanta in Doraville and that was a TRUE culture shock. Wouldn't consider making any of them home.

All states have something to offer but it is rare if not impossible for any one place to meet ALL your needs. There will be some compromise. Like I said, figure out what your WANTS as opposed to your NEEDS are. If you can meet all your needs then see how many of your wants you can get as well and base your decision on that.

North Carolina used to have alot of companies here but most of them have moved away (out of the country). People are struggling all over and you are really going to have to do your homework. Visit the places you are interested in and check out the things that are the most important to you. Talk to the people (business owners) and see what they say and how they feel.

You can look at housing prices on line to get an idea and you can also look at what each place has to offer as well. Most of your homework you can do online to narrow things down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina