Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times

Advertisements

In 2005 when I moved to North Carolina and got a drivers license and registered my car I had to pay many fees. First they charged me tax again on my vehicle (which had previously been purchased and tax paid in another state). Then they charged me a "one time highway tax fee". I later moved from NC to SC. I may be moving back to NC within 1-2 years, if so...do I have to pay that "one time highway tax fee" again? Or does the fact that I already paid that in 2005 come in to play? All I remember is by the time I registered my car, got my drivers license and paid taxes twice (personal tax on the vehicle, sales tax and a one time hiway tax ) it cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Unlike any state I ever lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
In 2005 when I moved to North Carolina and got a drivers license and registered my car I had to pay many fees. First they charged me tax again on my vehicle (which had previously been purchased and tax paid in another state). Then they charged me a "one time highway tax fee". I later moved from NC to SC. I may be moving back to NC within 1-2 years, if so...do I have to pay that "one time highway tax fee" again? Or does the fact that I already paid that in 2005 come in to play? All I remember is by the time I registered my car, got my drivers license and paid taxes twice (personal tax on the vehicle, sales tax and a one time hiway tax ) it cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Unlike any state I ever lived in.
There is no exemption listed for your circumstance but maybe you don't need one. I don't know. It's a really good question. The good news is the DMV can be contacted by e-mail so you will have an answer in writing which I think is the best method. Reach them at: https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/Contact...px?Unit=DMV_VR

Maybe someone else knows but it would be cool if you report back.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
You did not pay sales tax to NC on the car the first time around - NC only charges the Highway Use Tax for vehicle registration, even for new car sales. You paid the HUT and the personal property tax, plus the fees for the title and the tag. The rate for the HUT (3%) is MUCH less than the sales tax rates here, too.

You will have to pay the HUT again (up to a max of $150) if you re-register the car in NC. It has to be paid anytime a title is transferred, unless one of the exemptions listed on this page applies:

NCDOT: Highway Use & Property Taxes

You will also pay the personal property tax on the car at the time of registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina