Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And I'm waiting you to produce said "homosexual agenda", since I've been "in the field" for a long, long time and never seen this what-you-claim-is-ubiquitous document.
I'll do you one better.

I wish there was a "homosexual agenda."

I wish it had been agreed upon by some sort of lobbyist group that spoke for the vast majority of homosexuals and I wish that everyone had to read it in full before they could vote for any laws that deal with homosexual rights.

Because, from where I sit, there are plenty of bigots that want to ascribe nasty motives to this so-called "homosexual agenda," and all I see is people who are being discriminated against by the GOVERNMENT that want EQUAL RIGHTS.

Why anyone wants to add anything extra to it, I'll never know. It's mean spirited and shameful.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:10 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'll do you one better.

I wish there was a "homosexual agenda."

I wish it had been agreed upon by some sort of lobbyist group that spoke for the vast majority of homosexuals and I wish that everyone had to read it in full before they could vote for any laws that deal with homosexual rights.

Because, from where I sit, there are plenty of bigots that want to ascribe nasty motives to this so-called "homosexual agenda," and all I see is people who are being discriminated against by the GOVERNMENT that want EQUAL RIGHTS.

Why anyone wants to add anything extra to it, I'll never know. It's mean spirited and shameful.
Elections have consequences, and your point of view has been considered and rejected by the voters of North Carolina. In reality, nobody has appointed you to a position of authority in deciding matters of morality and public good, or an authority on who is or isn't a bigot. You have one vote, that's all.

My point is that many if not most of the voters of NC evidently find the Democratic party's endorsement of the homosexual cause to be odious (I know that you disagree, but believe it or not other voters hold other views). This is one factor that contributed to the nosedive of the Democratic party in NC to the extent that the opposition now has a completely free hand. Another factor is simple incompetence. Put the two together and you have a litany of lost elections, recent past, present, and near future.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-30-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Um, no. A leftist professor compiled an opinion piece based on articles from other leftist sources. Its been a while since we've had a GOP bash thread though so congratulations. The goal is to never have the GOP as a viable political party, ever. Only the Progressives know what is best for us.

To quote from a movie "All that hate is gonna burn you up kid".

Spot on ... BRAVO!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Elections have consequences, and your point of view has been considered and rejected by the voters of North Carolina. In reality, nobody has appointed you to a position of authority in deciding matters of morality and public good, or an authority on who is or isn't a bigot. You have one vote, that's all.

My point is that many if not most of the voters of NC evidently find the Democratic party's endorsement of the homosexual cause to be odious (I know that you disagree, but believe it or not other voters hold other views). This is one factor that contributed to the nosedive of the Democratic party in NC to the extent that the opposition now has a completely free hand. Another factor is simple incompetence. Put the two together and you have a litany of lost elections, recent past, present, and near future.
I think you are missing the point...which is that people's civil rights shouldn't be put to a vote. You or I shouldn't be able to vote on whether our not two men or two women can be married. I can be married to the woman I love and am grateful for that. How would you feel if people voted to say that you couldn't marry your significant-other based on some personal belief of theirs? What if the "the voters of NC" decided that couples had to be within a certain height or weight of each other, or couldn't have the same (or different) colored eyes, or that a yankee couldn't marry a native NCian?

If many states had put the right for people of different races to marry to a vote 50 years ago; those marriages wouldn't be legal today in those states. Are you suggesting that those marriages shouldn't be allowed either and that the people who fought to make them so were foolish and wrong?

Last edited by just_sayin'; 09-30-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
My point is that many if not most of the voters of NC evidently find the Democratic party's endorsement of the homosexual cause to be odious (I know that you disagree, but believe it or not other voters hold other views). This is one factor that contributed to the nosedive of the Democratic party in NC to the extent that the opposition now has a completely free hand.
Firstly, in what way has the NC Democratic Party endorsed the "homosexual cause"? I don't recall the party as a whole advocating gay marriage in NC, which is the only plank in the so-called homosexual agenda that the voters of NC had any say in. Otherwise, I think it's safe to say that Republicans didn't sweep to victory in the last midterms because Dems were advocating for simple non-discrimination policies in employment, housing, etc. as far as gays and lesbians go. Those issues aren't highly contentious, hot-button ones that would cause folks to turn out in droves to oust the Dems.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:

It does not matter.

We shouldn't even be voting on civil rights issues.

You'll see. The Supreme Court will handle this, because it's obvious that the citizenry cannot.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
I don't know how long you have lived here, but the university system and the state did quite well under Republican governors Holshouser and Martin.

More apropos, one way to look at the economic effectiveness of the university system is to look at the skills acquired by the student body. McCrory made reference to this in a very awkward way several months ago.

For example, the African Studies department at Carolina contributes nothing to the economy of the state, and has in fact come close to ruining the academic reputation of UNC via scandal. One way to increase the economic effectiveness of UNC, or alternatively to save money -- just for example -- would be to close this department and others like it, and re-direct the funds toward STEM majors, or even away from UNC (and App, the HBCUs, etc.) and direct it toward NCSU. In economic terms, we have too many psychology majors, anthropology majors, sociology majors, and whatever-studies majors, all of which are just about useless in an economic sense.

Speaking of NCSU, let's not forget about the corruption involving Gov. Easley's dear wife and her phony baloney faculty position. And then one might look at the calibre of some of the appointments to the Trustee boards at NCSU and UNC. Recent Democratic administrations have not been especially helpful to the academic climate here (nor have the current Republicans) . . .
Lived in NC most of my life but Jim Hunt, Terry Sanford, etc are the reason the community college system and public education system took such a strong lead in driving the states economy. Sure, the old moderate republicans took the if it aint broke don't fix it approach so NC continued to expand under their leadership driven by a democratic-led house.

Now repubs want to fix something that isn't broken; the new regime is set on forcing an idealogy on the general mass who are ultimately going to reject it. I applaud their firm convictions of the old south but the bus has left the station and most of those practices and mindsets are antiquated and outdated - it's 2013, not 1963. I have no problem with sensible consolidation of overlapping programs within an area for public schools/universities but closing the school isn't the answer.. I attended a HBCU and majored in engineering (A&T) and redirecting funds from A&T to UNC or NCSU is laughable. It's the only technically-oriented public (or private) universty in the Triad with an outstanding career services department. Most students don't have issues gaining full-time employment, especially engineers.

You conveniently point out missteps of Dems but take a look around. The so-called self righteous and purity of the Repub party is no different...lol, but their God will forgive them, then get re-elected in some other role...oh, the hyprocisy is palpable and pulling-out the politician personal failure card is a sure sign of the elite purity position; as if though heaven is going to roll out the red carpet for Repubs. In my bible classes, they teach that all men.women fail to temptation and mastering it requires intense spiritual resolve....not just Dem women/men.

I do revamping areas within the educational system and beefing up the community college system is wise (McCrory seems to understand that)...but wholesale forkliftng universities isn't the way to do it.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 10-01-2013 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

You conveniently point out missteps of Dems but take a look around. The so-called self righteous and purity of the Repub party is no different...lol, but their God will forgive them, then get re-elected in some other role...oh, the hyprocisy is palpable and pulling-out the politician personal failure card is a sure sign of the elite purity position; as if though heaven is going to roll out the red carpet for Repubs. .
Exactly! -- that's exactly my point. You can see the self-righteous, oh-so-holier-than-thou posturing throughout this thread and this forum by true-believer Democrats -- who really don't respect voters or even believe in the outcomes of elections by self admission when election outcomes go against their cocksure beliefs (see above) -- all the while tying to demonize their mirror-image Republicans. A pox on both groups and their destructive agendas.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

It does not matter. . . .

You'll see. The Supreme Court will handle this . . ..
I agree -- my guess is that the Supreme Court will likely rule against constitutional federalism, the people of NC, and their state constitution, as America continues its now seemingly inescapable free-fall . . .

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
I agree -- my guess is that the Supreme Court will likely rule against constitutional federalism, the people of NC, and their state constitution, as America continues its now seemingly inescapable free-fall . . .

The gay marriage debate is old, tired and lost. It's going to be the law of the land and the homophobic/racist laws against gay marriage will be overturned. It's silly. I could see some states banning interracial marriage of it were up to a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina