Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I agree -- my guess is that the Supreme Court will likely rule against constitutional federalism, the people of NC, and their state constitution, as America continues its now seemingly inescapable free-fall . . .
Out of curiosity did your father or grandfather spout the same Chicken Little-esque stuff when the Supreme Court invalidated NC's anti-miscegenation laws through their ruling in Loving v. Virginia? Or when NC's separate but equal Jim Crow era laws were struck down by Brown v. Board of Education? Hint - if a law isn't constitutional it doesn't matter how popular it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Out of curiosity did your father or grandfather spout the same Chicken Little-esque stuff when the Supreme Court invalidated NC's anti-miscegenation laws through their ruling in Loving v. Virginia? Or when NC's separate but equal Jim Crow era laws were struck down by Brown v. Board of Education? Hint - if a law isn't constitutional it doesn't matter how popular it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

I graduated from high school in SC in 2000 . . .
Thanks for sharing your deep wisdom, old timer . . .

Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The gay marriage debate is old, tired and lost. It's going to be the law of the land and the homophobic/racist laws against gay marriage will be overturned. It's silly. I could see some states banning interracial marriage of it were up to a vote.
I bet that NC would come close to banning it.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your deep wisdom, old timer . . .
Stupid people get old too.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
My point is that many if not most of the voters of NC evidently find the Democratic party's endorsement of the homosexual cause to be odious
There has not been an election on "the homosexual cause". Amendment One was a specific case related to same-sex MARRIAGE. That doesn't mean that non-Democrats favor GLBT equality in other ways. In fact, "small government" Republicans should believe that passing laws (let alone amending the constitution) specifically to prevent a group from some kind of benefit equates to increasing, not decreasing, government intervention in individual liberties. A majority of North Carolinians support equality for gay people in many areas (employment, housing, scouting, the military...) just not marriage. Even Republican Darling Richard Burr voted against "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Renee Ellmers spoke out against Amendment One.

You cannot extrapolate the Amendment One vote, taken in a low turnout primary, using well-funded and misleading ad campaigns, where the ballot had more Republican interest than Democratic, as how the entire state feels about the so-called "homosexual cause". And never mind the fact that acceptance of gay equality is related to age, and every year, more old people die off and more young people (among whom even many College Republican groups see "no big deal" with GLBT equality) reach the voting age, the tide is turning. Even Tom Tillis said Amendment One will probably be moot in 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina