Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity7499 View Post
What is Cameron Village??
It is an older shopping area designed to look like a small town. Cameron Village :: 1900 Cameron St, Raleigh, NC. 27605 :: 919-821-1350 There is housing nearby which is walkable to the amenities in the shopping area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM

68 posts, read 100,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It is an older shopping area designed to look like a small town. Cameron Village :: 1900 Cameron St, Raleigh, NC. 27605 :: 919-821-1350 There is housing nearby which is walkable to the amenities in the shopping area.
That sounds nice and convenient. thank you! I will look into it!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
You've mentioned several things you are NOT looking for, but I don't see anything that says why you ARE looking at Raleigh? What has put this area in your sights, since you don't seem to know much about it? I agree that it's much closer to Nashville than to the West Coast, in culture.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM

68 posts, read 100,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You've mentioned several things you are NOT looking for, but I don't see anything that says why you ARE looking at Raleigh? What has put this area in your sights, since you don't seem to know much about it? I agree that it's much closer to Nashville than to the West Coast, in culture.
I can't go back to California because of the expense. I want to be closer to the coast. And I would like to find a good location to raise my children with 4 seasons... When I put those and a few other variables in a hat and shook it up Raleigh came out! Maybe I am way off target. I have looked at a handful of places very extensively. I realize nothing will be "home" to me but I am trying to find that next best thing... a nice school district, a nice culture, good colleges for my oldest daughter, fairly close to water. I would prefer water within steps of my door but unfortunately most coastal towns aren't as accommodating on the other fronts.

Does that make sense??

Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM

30 posts, read 41,513 times
On your budget, I would advise you to look at Charlottesville, VA as a possible place to relocate. I realize that you were looking at NC but a nice, friendly, and sophisticated college town like Charlottesville, VA might just be what you need.
They have tons of festivals there and it's fairly liberal, plus it's big enough so you don't get bored but if you do you can always travel to Washington DC or Raleigh, NC for the weekend! I also believe that it's fairly diverse and I haven't heard of any gang activity there.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity7499 View Post
I have been... I was out there last year over CHristmas on a scouting trip. Do you live there?? How is the gang activity out there. I didn't realize there was any until my realtor started telling me which areas I didn't want to consider because of gangs. It was a huge turn off to me as a single mom of 3. My younger 2 are very young so I don't really want to get tangled up in that kind of mess. Thoughts??

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give a response to this comment. I grew up in SLO and went to Cal Poly. I don't know what your realtor was talking about, but I don't remember seeing any signs of gang activity whatsoever in SLO. It's a town where you can leave your door open all day and it will be fine. In fact, I left my car door open once and someone came up to my house to let me know about it.

With your budget, I think you should be able to afford a comfortable life in SLO. It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. It's a great town to raise kids in, a bike ride form the beach and mountains. It has a great downtown, lots of culture, great schools, and lots of outdoor activity.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htothefro View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give a response to this comment. I grew up in SLO and went to Cal Poly. I don't know what your realtor was talking about, but I don't remember seeing any signs of gang activity whatsoever in SLO. It's a town where you can leave your door open all day and it will be fine. In fact, I left my car door open once and someone came up to my house to let me know about it.

With your budget, I think you should be able to afford a comfortable life in SLO. It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. It's a great town to raise kids in, a bike ride form the beach and mountains. It has a great downtown, lots of culture, great schools, and lots of outdoor activity.
There's a good reason Hearst built his Mansion there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina