Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times

Advertisements

Trying to get a sense of how much my energy costs will go up if I move to NC.

Please tell me what your heating/cooling costs are per year? Give me the nitty gritty details

How many sq ft is your home/apt? How many Kwh's do you use? What's your heat source?
How long is the heating and the cooling season?
Are fireplaces common in homes/apts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Charlotte, 1200-SF 2-BR new-build rental on the 2nd floor, electric heat pump, Duke Energy is the vendor. I like to keep the temp set between 68 and 70. I don't really use my heater...ever. My bills range from $40-$95/month, depending on the time of the year and whether or not my parents are visiting (and how long they've stayed -- they use a lot of electricity!).

Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Charlotte, 1200-SF 2-BR new-build rental on the 2nd floor, electric heat pump, Duke Energy is the vendor. I like to keep the temp set between 68 and 70. I don't really use my heater...ever. My bills range from $40-$95/month, depending on the time of the year and whether or not my parents are visiting (and how long they've stayed -- they use a lot of electricity!).
This is good news. I spend about that here in FL, a bit less.

So you aren't turning on the heat pump in the winter, at all? Oh right, new construction, must be well insulated.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
1200 Sq ft house. Heat bill is gas which includes hot water. Runs from less than 20 from April through October. Was 75 for February, 55 for November, and 70 for December. Electric went up between 20 to 40 dollars from June through August. Moved into the house in February.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
This is good news. I spend about that here in FL, a bit less.

So you aren't turning on the heat pump in the winter, at all? Oh right, new construction, must be well insulated.
The heat pump is the air conditioner. In the summer it cools in the winter it heats. It contains components that reverses the output in cold weather.
Our total electric bills are about $150 monthly year round. Heat, hot water, cooking , all appliances.
2,200 SF well insulated ranch single story.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
Maybe that's it. The coldest it's ever gotten inside the apartment has been 64 (which, for me, is just "throw on a sweater and a pair of socks" temps), but it has to be REALLY cold outside for for the inside to get cold...and we don't get "really cold" temps here in Charlotte too often. And even when we do get really cold temps, they don't stick around long.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I moved away from NC a year ago, but the final year we were there, our electric bill (we had a heat pump for heating and cooling) averaged around $120/ month. Some Summer months it got up as high as $160, but that (120) seemed to be the year round monthly average (I lived in NC almost 5 years).

Electric was through JOEMC, the house was a rental, built in the 1970s, 2 bedrooms, around 700 sqft. I doubt it was well insulated which led to the higher bills!

It felt like we were usually running heating or cooling year round, but in reality we rarely ran it in Oct or March. The other months of the year were too cool or too hot to do without in our house (in Jacksonville, NC).

Hope that helps!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 13,858 times
I live in the Adirondack Mountains in New York. All my hot water and head is provided by my Wood Boiler located about 50 feet from the house. I can use wood from my land to fuel the Boiler all winter which makes most of my costs Zero. I do have a backup propane furnace but only use it during the fall or spring for a few weeks. Electricity is about $125 a month. Water and waste cost nothing as I have a well and septic tank. Upstate NY is the last great place to live. We have hundreds of lakes, hiking trails, festivals, etc., to keep people entertained year round. Crime statistics are very low. If you want to go on a cheap European vacation visit Montreal, Canada, just a short drive up North on Interstate 87. It has all the culture, museums, restaurants, festivals etc., and they are all European in style. The citizens of Montreal speak French and some English.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Maybe that's it. The coldest it's ever gotten inside the apartment has been 64 (which, for me, is just "throw on a sweater and a pair of socks" temps).
Exactly what I used to do up north! keeping the house at 64 up north was pretty cold though, that was just the nighttime temp, during the day 67 was more comfortable. Boy did my kids complain
Only problem is my heating bill was about $2000 per season - Oct 1st - May 1st and that was an energy efficient house too, geesh, that's a lot of money

Thanks for the info, I'm pleasantly surprised at the low costs NC folks are reporting

Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'm pleasantly surprised at the low costs NC folks are reporting
It obviously depends on the size of the house. Our costs for heating and cooling a 3400 SF house near Jacksonville average about $160/month. Our last bill is $247 covering the polar vortex period. We have a heat pump and a fairly efficient house.

I do miss the availability of natural gas and the warmer air it produces. Natural gas is only available in the larger urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina