Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with new NCDL changes
yes 6 42.86%
no 5 35.71%
dont care 1 7.14%
not sure 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

This evening North Carolina DMV is discussing on changing written exam requirements.

First, is not requiring those who relocate from another state that have a valid license from the state they are transferring from will not be required to take the written exam.

Second, is changing if license expired you instead of one year you have take written exam is changing to two years.
------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO the written test needs to be redone to reflect driving questions verses stats.
DMV is being turn into a money maker for IDS's verses making sure we have good drivers on this state road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I drove in the most congested state, NJ for 50 years before moving to NC and there are some different rules here.
NJ does not have left turning lanes on multiple 3-5 lane highways. Also the rules for passing a school bus are a little different here. In NJ the only way you can pass a school bus is on a divided highway when the bus is on the other side of the divider.
Without a written test how do you know the rules?

Perhaps NC is just trying to eliminate some jobs?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
The DMV website has been frustrating lately. Can't seem to renew my plate tags online like I used to. Anyone else notice this? I guess they just like having everyone stand in line for 3 hours in the morning.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I drove in the most congested state, NJ for 50 years before moving to NC and there are some different rules here.
NJ does not have left turning lanes on multiple 3-5 lane highways. Also the rules for passing a school bus are a little different here. In NJ the only way you can pass a school bus is on a divided highway when the bus is on the other side of the divider.
Without a written test how do you know the rules?

Perhaps NC is just trying to eliminate some jobs?
Sure, laws are different in every state. But do you think that a 20 question test will tell someone everything they need to know about state driving laws? Most of the questions aren't even state specific, but instead are based on common sense driving.

When I moved out of NC, I was not required to take a test in my new state. Instead, I picked up a little pamphlet at the DMV with common traffic laws.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
So, I have a couple of issues here. I had to take the NC written exam when I moved here. I have lived in 5 states and NC was the first to require it and it was just dumb. If you study, you pass. It does not make you a good driver. Still, when I was there, people failed the written exam.

The written exam tests things that are ridiculous. I know not to pass a stopped school bus. I do not need to know how many points I will get on my license if I violate this. NC tests you on road signs based on their shapes.

I would rather see periodioc road tests given in lieu of written tests. Yes, it would be a huge pain. But there are just some people who are too complacent and shouldn't be on the road. If we had mandatory driving tests every few years with mandatory drivers ed for those who failed, we might have a lot more safety-conscious people on the roads.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
So, I have a couple of issues here. I had to take the NC written exam when I moved here. I have lived in 5 states and NC was the first to require it and it was just dumb. If you study, you pass. It does not make you a good driver. Still, when I was there, people failed the written exam.

The written exam tests things that are ridiculous. I know not to pass a stopped school bus. I do not need to know how many points I will get on my license if I violate this. NC tests you on road signs based on their shapes.

I would rather see periodioc road tests given in lieu of written tests. Yes, it would be a huge pain. But there are just some people who are too complacent and shouldn't be on the road. If we had mandatory driving tests every few years with mandatory drivers ed for those who failed, we might have a lot more safety-conscious people on the roads.
Do you have a valid ou of state license now? When do you plan on moving?

Likely these changes will happen .

Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Actually NC only needs one question on the test.
1.What is that lever on the left side of the steering wheel primarily used for?
Seems like some drivers don't know.

Here is a clue, you don't live in the boondocks any longer. There are many other cars on the road and they have no idea what you are thinking of doing.
When we are coming at you we can't tell if you are in a turning lane all we know is that for some reason you are not moving and we don't know if you are sleeping/dead or maybe you are waiting to turn but we have know idea if it is left or right. Just use the friggin turn signal. Nobody will call you a pansy because you use your signal. Real men use their signals, just ask the truckers.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post

If the written test is so ridiculous, why do so many people flunk it?

I received my first driver's license in 1973. Moved to four different states, and never had to take another written or road test. I actually learned new rules and signs that I didn't know while studying for my NC written exam. So did my husband, who has had his driver's license longer than I without repeating any tests (except eye exams).

So no, I'd say keep the written test.

(What made us nuts was the requirement to show documentation for our entire middle names, not just the initial that we've been using forever. Even my baby birth certificate, circa 1950-something, only shows a middle initial. I had a hellish time finding a certified document that contained my entire middle name!)

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
They need to increase the age for a full, unrestricted license until at least 18. And no more allowing people over 18 get a license for the first time, without going through a graduating/step process.

Oh and make driving test for people over 60/70 years old.

Those are two of the most problematic population groups.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
The DMV website has been frustrating lately. Can't seem to renew my plate tags online like I used to. Anyone else notice this? I guess they just like having everyone stand in line for 3 hours in the morning.
First this has nothing to do with drivers license renewal or obtaining when you move here...
And you can still renew your plates online @ https://edmv.ncdot.gov/VehicleRegist...leRegistration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina