Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times

Advertisements

I also think that people expect us all to be nice all the time, even to rude people from off.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM

51 posts, read 63,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Because people from NC are historically clannish. We don't like people coming in and changing everything we liked about the state.
Actually a friend of mine who moved there years ago did say that they don't like change there, and it takes time to be accepted. One is on the outside for a long time …

Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have found North Carolinians to be the least rude I met.

Maybe it is you or your demeanor or possibly a bit of a condescending attitude. I dunno
Interesting … its me?

When I visited Florida no one was rude to me, but in NC everyone was stand offish and rude. Perhaps its the culture and they don't realize they are being rude?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Rude is a relative term it seems.

I think its rude for someone to stop traffic behind them to let someone out in front of them (happens in school traffic all the time). Of course that person thinks they are being nice....just not nice to the people behind them. I say follow the rules of the road and that person can get out when they get the opportunity.

The Post Office example is a good one as well. I know plenty of folks that hold up other people that are waiting because they want to talk and be friendly. I think that is rude because its putting their conversation and time ahead of others. And for those that think its not rude, consider that if everyone has that extra minute conversation, then it can delay the last person by 5-10 more minutes.

Its great to be nice to people, but there are times and places for interaction. You have to be aware of your surroundings when being nice and be sure your not holding up someone else's productivity.
Stand offish … may be thats a better word, like everyone is sizing me up.

I also notice this same think in Louisiana …. and Texas, not so much in Arizona and Florida.

Hey may be its the sun

Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggshenry View Post
Actually a friend of mine who moved there years ago did say that they don't like change there, and it takes time to be accepted. One is on the outside for a long time …
We like change just fine. What seems to rub some people the wrong way are transplants who move here, then want everything to be like it was somewhere else.

I don't know what you mean by "one is on the outside". Outside of what? My neighborhood is a mixture of born-heres and come-heres. We get along fine. If you are friendly and don't begin every sentence with "Well, when I lived in (fill in the blank), we always (fill in the blank)" you should be ok.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
We like change just fine. What seems to rub some people the wrong way are transplants who move here, then want everything to be like it was somewhere else.

I don't know what you mean by "one is on the outside". Outside of what? My neighborhood is a mixture of born-heres and come-heres. We get along fine. If you are friendly and don't begin every sentence with "Well, when I lived in (fill in the blank), we always (fill in the blank)" you should be ok.
What does friendly mean? I don't really chat much with my neighbors … my experience was more with the people in various business settings, like the gas station the motel and so on.

Do neighbors often chat in your state?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Stand offish … may be thats a better word, like everyone is sizing me up.

I also notice this same think in Louisiana …. and Texas, not so much in Arizona and Florida.

Hey may be its the sun
What exactly is your point, please. And have you been to NY or NJ? What are you comparing "rude" to?

I do know that anyone from somehwere else who charges in saying "Why are you like X?" is going to get a chilly reception. How hard did you try to fit in here, or did you just presume that everyone would accomodate themselves to fit your expectations?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What exactly is your point, please. And have you been to NY or NJ? What are you comparing "rude" to?

I do know that anyone from somehwere else who charges in saying "Why are you like X?" is going to get a chilly reception. How hard did you try to fit in here, or did you just presume that everyone would accomodate themselves to fit your expectations?
Yes I have been NY and NJ … many years ago, what I recall there was RUSH everyone was very busy and in a hurry. And some guy chased me down the street with a pocket knife saying I owed him money, even though I had never been there before.

Also, I asked that question here after experiencing the state. I did not 'charge into the state' asking people that question.

Nor do I expect everyone to fit my expectations … but the way your responding is the sort of stand offish defensive thing that I experienced in NC, which is why I asked the question.

I am wondering if it has more to do with culture then anything else, I have noticed that the warmers states tend to be more welcoming and friendly. The northern states are hurry hurry rush rush get out of the way … the your state is always ready to fight someone … the midwest is all about having space and giving space.

Each area seems to have its own unique ways of social interaction.

For example some places you won't just waist time chatting in a line, while holding up everyone else. As someone here mentioned, using the post office … thats rude. But in other states they will and they see the people who want to get a move on, as being the rudes ones.

Of course not every event is a social event, and I would agree that when you are doing business … do your business and move along, so that next person can get finished and leave.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
I'll say this about your last post in regards to being defensive....native North Carolinians do not like to here that things should be different...even if they know they should. They love their state and think its the best. They certainly don't want to hear it from "perceived" outsiders.

So some topics are essentially off limits...unless you have credibility...with them. That probably comes from the hierarchy of the way things worked in the past.

So it may be your approach that is bringing out the rudeness in many people or just the topics you are talking about.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:46 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Yes I have been NY and NJ … many years ago, what I recall there was RUSH everyone was very busy and in a hurry. And some guy chased me down the street with a pocket knife saying I owed him money, even though I had never been there before.

Also, I asked that question here after experiencing the state. I did not 'charge into the state' asking people that question.

Nor do I expect everyone to fit my expectations … but the way your responding is the sort of stand offish defensive thing that I experienced in NC, which is why I asked the question.

I am wondering if it has more to do with culture then anything else, I have noticed that the warmers states tend to be more welcoming and friendly. The northern states are hurry hurry rush rush get out of the way … the your state is always ready to fight someone … the midwest is all about having space and giving space.

Each area seems to have its own unique ways of social interaction.

For example some places you won't just waist time chatting in a line, while holding up everyone else. As someone here mentioned, using the post office … thats rude. But in other states they will and they see the people who want to get a move on, as being the rudes ones.

Of course not every event is a social event, and I would agree that when you are doing business … do your business and move along, so that next person can get finished and leave.
"Always ready to fight someone"? You seem to live in a parallel universe. You lost credibility with me when you implied Florida was friendly and more welcoming. Having lived in both states I can tell you that is far from the truth.

I think another poster nailed it when they said it might be you or your demeanor or maybe you're just trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina