Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,969,224 times

Advertisements

It's a red herring to play these two issues against each other. Time and energy that goes into advancing civil rights for sexual minorities is not "more money into comcast's pockets".

Very often you'll find that the people who have fought against same sex marriage in the general assemblies across the country are also the ones who ideologically have no problems with private monopolies running the country, because generally they're at the top of one.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Call me crazy; but I somehow think that protecting the personal liberties provided by the constitution of this country for ALL and not denying rights to a population because certain others find their "lifestyle" to be "icky" is far more productive that stopping sucky comcast from buying sucky time warner so we can pay a few less bucks a month to get 500 channels. I say this as a straight white male who grew up in an upper-middle class Christian family.
I meant more of it being an issue at all. But since the dirt has been moved, there has to be a response to rectify it.

With Comcast/TWC and others, I am not referring to TV channels. I am referring to Net neutrality. As in the Teleco company will be able to (in so many words) censure what an individual has access to on the internet. If it goes through, that will quickly put the brakes on technological advances and the dissemination of knowledge.

This graphic shows how it could be in the future.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I love it how even rightwing Republican leaders are now admitting that marriage equality will soon be reality in all 50 states. Even Orin Hatch says that it is inevitable now.
Neither party remains static.

Remember it was the Republicans who freed the slaves against huge opposition from Democrats and Southern Jim Crow laws flourished for close to 100 years under the Democrats (including here in NC).

Lesson to be learned here is to never give blind allegiance to either political party. Doing so results in the exact nonsense as we saw with Amendment 1.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Yesterday, Attorney General Roy Cooper denied United Church of Christ motion request for immediate relief of Amendment One.

Cooper’s office argued against the preliminary injunction, saying the state’s interest in defending the law outweighed the couples’ needs for immediate relief.
Cooper also officially asked for a stay in all proceedings until the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals rules on a similar case in Virginia, Bostic v. Schaefer.
“This motion, in addition to the other proceedings in this matter, should be stayed,” Cooper’s Tuesday filing reads.
“In the alternative, the motion for preliminary injunction should be denied because the injunction sought by Plaintiffs will significantly alter the status quo.
Further, a preliminary injunction in this matter would be premature given the possibility that it could be soon overruled, modified, lifted or remanded for further proceedings consistent with the Fourth Circuit’s impending opinion in Bostic.”

I agree with Roy on this and understand his merits. Despite he is for marriage equality, he defending the laws of this state as they stand now.
This is smart move on his part for future governorship election. McCrory cant say he not doing his job and peases the people of the state who voted for A1.

N.C. Attorney General: Deny immediate relief in marriage case | QNotes Gay Charlotte and LGBT Carolina News, Arts & Entertainment

Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
They do have equal rights.

As far as racial segregation, not comparable. You can look at someone and see their race, you cannot look at someone and see that their gay.

I have failed to see the "Hetero Only" water fountains. Also when a straight person gets on a bus and there is no where to sit the gays have to get up and stand in the back?

Apparently you have also failed to see the lack of inheritance rights, the lack of child custody rights, the lack of healthcare rights, the lack of tax benefits, etc., etc. that gay couples are denied.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
the lack of child custody rights,
Homosexuals should never be allowed to raise children.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

And ignorant bigots should never be allowed to have internet access, but hey, it happens.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
What if the homosexual is the biological mother or father? Are you suggesting that we take those children away from their parents? I'm curious just how far your stated ideology goes in a practical sense.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Quote:
Point proven:

The majority against equal marriage is about bigotry & hate towards other people.

Only when called out do most say "I don't care what people do...."

It's a mute point anyway, in the coming years being openly homophobic will be as pleasant as an open White supremacist.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

It's a mute point anyway, in the coming years being openly homophobic will be as pleasant as an open White supremacist.
Many of your peculiar ilk are fond of saying that those opposed to homosexual behavior are "on the wrong side of history".

That history hasn't been written yet, and history is written by the victors. This is far from over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina