Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,516 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum and I am enjoying reading people's comments here! I noticed some teasing about accents, especially about people from NJ. I agree they tend to sound kind of Soprano to me - I feel like I can say that because I am Italian American with all of my family from NJ! I am kind of curious now about accents. What does a CA accent sound like to people from NC? I am sure our slang is different, but I can't think how to tease a CA accent, but then again, I am from here. Another question, if we move here with a baby, will she develop a southern accent? It got me kind of curious since she hasn't starting speaking yet and her first words will probably start when we move here this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 05:47 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,352 times
My brother and his then wife, both from elsewhere, lived in Nashville TN where their children, who were born there, grew up without Southern accents. By choice. The kids watched a lot of TV, determined that there were many different kinds of pronunciation, and chose their own, which was closer to "newscaster generic U.S. English."

My California accent is very apparent in the South, as I'm sure it will be in NC if we move there. Unlike "newscaster generic U.S. English," we Californians draw out our words a bit longer, sort of like surfer dude stereotypes without the stoner quality.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
My California accent is very apparent in the South, as I'm sure it will be in NC if we move there. Unlike "newscaster generic U.S. English," we Californians draw out our words a bit longer, sort of like surfer dude stereotypes without the stoner quality.
I love it. I was trying to figure out how to explain a CA way of speaking and you nailed it with ' surfer dude stereotypes without the stoner quality.' I wonder if people in NC also have a problem adding "like" to their sentences like we tend to in CA??? I am trying to drop it, but it always seems to creep into my sentences....

Old 04-29-2006, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 18,611 times
Default propah acceeents

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
I am new to this forum and I am enjoying reading people's comments here! I noticed some teasing about accents, especially about people from NJ. I agree they tend to sound kind of Soprano to me - I feel like I can say that because I am Italian American with all of my family from NJ! I am kind of curious now about accents. What does a CA accent sound like to people from NC? I am sure our slang is different, but I can't think how to tease a CA accent, but then again, I am from here. Another question, if we move here with a baby, will she develop a southern accent? It got me kind of curious since she hasn't starting speaking yet and her first words will probably start when we move here this summer.
I'm guessing that won't really happen, but your child may end up with a strange mix. I, and my siblings, have lived in the south for about 20+ years (I'm 25). I do not have much of a southern accent. Rarely things creep in. But, it's funny to hear my sister talk like a northerner and all the sudden, she'll drawn out a sentence in pure southern quality. I think a lot of where a person's "main accent" comes from has to do with parents. Granted, I moved here when I was 3 and by then a lot of my speech patterns are already developed, but the majority of speech that a young child hears comes from his or her parents anyway. My parents are from Michigan.

Last edited by scylla; 04-29-2006 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,184 times
We're from Wisconsin, and most people always seem to recognize the Midwestern accent, a lot even pinpoint it to WI. I was also curious about my kids developing a southern twang. Some of the kids in our neighborhood were born in NC to non-southern parents. Each and every one of them has their parents' accent, not southern accents.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,050 times
I never thought that I had a southern accent until I heard myself on an answering machine. Man can you ever tell it then. I think other people notice it though. It must be pretty thick like Bridgette Fonda's on "Doc Hollywood."

Old 04-29-2006, 08:16 PM

110 posts, read 168,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I never thought that I had a southern accent until I heard myself on an answering machine. Man can you ever tell it then. I think other people notice it though. It must be pretty thick like Bridgette Fonda's on "Doc Hollywood."
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
It took me 3 years to control my southern (Mississippi) accent. (you can never lose it-it hides and comes out when you are excited or especially when you are angry!!)

Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,042,128 times
Default accents

I think of sports talk show host Jim Rome when I think of a CA accent. I guess it's really more of a Southern CA accent.

By the way, I'm pretty good at recognizing accents - I guess I have a natural ear for it.

You may or may not notice that there are different kinds of southern accents, as well as specific accents even within NC. One unique accent that I don't hear too often since I live in the NC Piedmont area is the outer banks or coastal NC accent of natives from that area - think of it as a cross between a southern accent and the stereotypical Canadian accent, at least with certain words (for example, the word "about" would be pronounced "a boat").

There really isn't a single "southern" accent - just like there is a difference between the upstate NY accent versus someone from the Bronx, there is a difference in pronunciation and patterns between someone from southern VA versus someone from south GA.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM

787 posts, read 3,584,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
It took me 3 years to control my southern (Mississippi) accent. (you can never lose it-it hides and comes out when you are excited or especially when you are angry!!)

I sound like Ricky Ricardo when I get mad. I talk so fast that the person that I am screaming at doesn't understand half of what I say. And I have a tendency to not finish one sentence before I start another one. But I am just nuts when I am really mad.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 PM

110 posts, read 168,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I sound like Ricky Ricardo when I get mad. I talk so fast that the person that I am screaming at doesn't understand half of what I say. And I have a tendency to not finish one sentence before I start another one. But I am just nuts when I am really mad.
My husband is from England. So when I get mad he can't understand anything and he gets scared A Mississippi accent means that half the words are not pronounced and don't even sound like English! At least from NC, you still sound American!!! hahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina