Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Does SC have a techie area?
Define a "techie area." You mean a big research park like RTP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM

605 posts, read 804,502 times
I'm not a huge fan of either, honestly. I prefer Georgia to both!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
An area with a large techie professional and company presence, such as found in Silicone Valley, Boston, NoVA, RTP.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
An area with a large techie professional and company presence, such as found in Silicone Valley, Boston, NoVA, RTP.
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to? You just mentioned pretty much all the areas in the country for which that is the case; your only omissions were probably Austin and Seattle. There are tech jobs and companies in SC but nothing on the level of those areas.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's more about regions than states...there is little difference across the Piedmont through VA/NC/SC. Same goes for the mountains/foothills/coastal plain/beaches. It's hard to tell any difference just by stepping over the state line between any of the three.
True, and Georgia could also fit the bill. However, most people are under the assumption that NC and VA are more so Upper South while SC and GA are Deep South.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:11 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to? You just mentioned pretty much all the areas in the country for which that is the case; your only omissions were probably Austin and Seattle. There are tech jobs and companies in SC but nothing on the level of those areas.
Actually, I didn't know the answer. I don't know much about SC ot the national tech industry. Hence, the question. Don't presume to know me. If you have a problem answering the question, ignore it, I wasn't talking to you.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, I didn't know the answer. I don't know much about SC ot the national tech industry. Hence, the question. Don't presume to know me. If you have a problem answering the question, ignore it, I wasn't talking to you.
You named almost all of the country's major tech hubs in your response so you obviously know enough about the major hubs of the industry. If there were something akin to RTP just to the south, I'm pretty sure you'd know about that too.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:59 PM

176 posts, read 290,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Which neighbor do you prefer (include Tennessee and Georgia if you like)? This can be anything, from which state you believe is more similar to NC, which state you enjoy traveling in, etc.
Love visiting South Carolina. We get to the low country as often as we can. I also like Greenville and Columbia - every great city should have a river running through it! I love the geographic diversity of our country and I list the low country, along with the pacific northwest, great lakes region, high desert southwest, California coast, California sierras, blue ridge and rocky mountains as one of the most beautiful and distinct areas of the country.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 12,275 times
I grew up in Hamlet, NC, which is right on the NC/SC state line. I spent about as much time in SC as NC as a child. All of my grandparents are from SC, too. I've always retained a strong affection for SC, and I like to visit when I can.

I've never been to VA or GA. I went through TN a few times on trips to AR as a young child. I remember virtually nothing about it.

So yeah, SC all the way.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Virginia. More to do and more to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina