Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times

Advertisements

I've got a question for you guys. My wife and I live in Florida and are Florida residents, but we're moving to NC next month for me to attend school (my wife will be working). We intend to become NC residents after we move.

We have the opportunity to get concealed carry permits here in Florida before we leave (father-in-law wants to set up the class and everything as a "gift").

My question: if we get the permits before we leave, would we be able to transfer that permit to a NC permit, or at least legally carry with our Florida permits as new NC residents? Or would we essentially need to start over with the class, registration, etc. in NC?

I think NC has reciprocity with Florida permits, but my understanding of reciprocity is that a Florida resident can carry with their Florida permit in NC, not that a new NC resident can simply use the Florida permit without getting a NC permit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I think NC has reciprocity with Florida permits, but my understanding of reciprocity is that a Florida resident can carry with their Florida permit in NC, not that a new NC resident can simply use the Florida permit without getting a NC permit.

I would thank your father-in-law for his offer, but I believe that you would still have to take the North Carolina handgun safety course anyway. At least that is true in Onslow County where I live. You have to have been a resident for 30 days before you apply. Information here: Onslow County Sheriff's Office | Concealed Handgun Permits

Old 07-17-2014, 07:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
I've got a question for you guys. My wife and I live in Florida and are Florida residents, but we're moving to NC next month for me to attend school (my wife will be working). We intend to become NC residents after we move.

We have the opportunity to get concealed carry permits here in Florida before we leave (father-in-law wants to set up the class and everything as a "gift").

My question: if we get the permits before we leave, would we be able to transfer that permit to a NC permit, or at least legally carry with our Florida permits as new NC residents? Or would we essentially need to start over with the class, registration, etc. in NC?

IMO probably a waste of money getting the Fl permits. Pretty sure you will still have to take the CCW course here in NC. I waited about six weeks for my permit to arrive.

Just stay away from all night convenience stores/ gas stations and anyplace where bad guys congregate.
I don't even carry, just have my permit it so I can purchase when ever I see a good deal.

Check with the county where you intend to move to. I understand some counties have different rules.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like we'd need to do the full course and everything in NC to get a NC CCW, meaning it would be a waste of money.

However, since Florida issues permits to non-residents, we could hypothetically become NC residents, get a Florida CCW, and carry in NC because of reciprocity. I.e., we could get the permit here (regardless of residency status) and legally carry in NC, even as NC residents, because we have a recognized FL CCW. If true, this would mean it's not a waste to get it here. Am I incorrect in my reasoning?

I don't intend to carry often. It's more for my wife and I (especially my wife when she's alone) to carry when we maybe somewhere potentially unsafe, which wouldn't happen often or willingly. I'm not a big gun advocate or opponent, but it's being offered to my father in law for a special deal on a course and he wants to give it as a gift. If I'm wrong about my theory above, we'll pass and get one in NC if we feel the need.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM
PDD

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like we'd need to do the full course and everything in NC to get a NC CCW, meaning it would be a waste of money.

However, since Florida issues permits to non-residents, we could hypothetically become NC residents, get a Florida CCW, and carry in NC because of reciprocity. I.e., we could get the permit here (regardless of residency status) and legally carry in NC, even as NC residents, because we have a recognized FL CCW. If true, this would mean it's not a waste to get it here. Am I incorrect in my reasoning?

I don't intend to carry often. It's more for my wife and I (especially my wife when she's alone) to carry when we maybe somewhere potentially unsafe, which wouldn't happen often or willingly. I'm not a big gun advocate or opponent, but it's being offered to my father in law for a special deal on a course and he wants to give it as a gift. If I'm wrong about my theory above, we'll pass and get one in NC if we feel the need.
It's not very expensive to take a course here in Moore Co NC. The owner at the LGS runs a course for about $75 and the permit is $90 for 5 years.

Best to check with the Sheriffs Dept in the County where you are moving to. They know the answers to your questions.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The sheriff runs the show and some counties do it different. A general answer is probably what you need.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I've got some experience with this. I moved away from NC just a year after my 21st birthday. I didn't want to get the NC permit, only for it to be invalid after my move. I opted for the Florida permit. NC does not require NC residents to obtain an NC permit, so you are free to keep using the Florida permit after you move.

I took a $25 NRA basic pistol class which was actually pretty fun (compared to the 8hr boring NC class). The Florida permit is valid for 7 years instead of 5. It's also cheaper to renew.

The only con I can foresee is if you get pulled over. Sometimes a cop might be weirded out that you have an out of state permit, but an in state drivers license.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post

The only con I can foresee is if you get pulled over. Sometimes a cop might be weirded out that you have an out of state permit, but an in state drivers license.
^^^^^ This.

Why take a chance? I told you to call the sherrif where you are moving to. Anything else is speculation.

Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I like to follow the rules and the law.

You can also check here.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM

468 posts, read 826,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
All the more reason to get the permit in the state that you plan to move to.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
All the more reason to get the permit in the state that you plan to move to.
I do not have a permit in my home state as I move somewhat often. I've never had any trouble, but sometimes cops don't know the law. That being said, some states require residents to obtain a permit in that state. North Carolina isn't one of those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina