Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 AM

444 posts, read 582,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Slightly surprised that there's no discussion on the mid term elections, particularly that involving Kay Hagan.

North Carolina | 2014 U.S. Senatorial Elections

North Carolina has somewhat of a "rep" of being the "back in time" state. Hopefully as many people that read this forum and have concerns get out an vote (which ever party affiliation you have).
Not only NC but the entire South still has pockets of hypocritical "back in time" nonsense going on, just look at UNC. There is simply no passion for the issues, especially social issues, here in NC. Excuse after excuse ranging from the DOT, handling of tax dollars, to the ex-Mayor of Charlotte.

I have lived outside of the South so having a different perspective and can see/understand how certain things can be interpreted as "back in time". For example, drive down 85 in SC and you will see giant billboards (which are horribly ugly and not necessary BTW) advertising adult toy stores and Asian Spa's; yes folks prostitution. BUT, LOL LOL most parts of the state still does not server alcohol on Sunday because of supposed old "back in time" religious laws. The problem with this is there appears to be no care or concern with any of it, just like we see in the political arena.

Lets take for example the 10 year and counting construction of 485 loop around Charlotte. Yes, they just closed down construction for the year because of the impending "winter." Seriously! In my opinion, that is "back in time" and is not only an inconvenience it is bad time and money management...that is a problem that resides in the fabric of the political system here in NC, but without people standing up nothing will change.

So for the time being the issues will continue to be less progressive and more rooted in conservative fundamentals such as anti-gay marriage, reduction of unemployment benefits, growth of military and the military police state infrastructure, and of course gun rights.

Last edited by VT'ah; 10-26-2014 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
....BUT, LOL LOL most parts of the state still does not server alcohol on Sunday because of supposed old "back in time" religious laws......
I think you are being overly harsh. SC allows localities to decide if they want to sell alcohol on Sundays or not. If a community decides they don't want drinks sold there on that day, then I don't see anything wrong or backwards about it. The people can vote on it as they choose.

IMO, it fits well with the libertarian concepts getting an ever increasing over reaching central government out of the lives of ordinary people. "Progressives" hate it love to describe it as something backwards.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think you are being overly harsh. SC allows localities to decide if they want to sell alcohol on Sundays or not. If a community decides they don't want drinks sold there on that day, then I don't see anything wrong or backwards about it. The people can vote on it as they choose.

IMO, it fits well with the libertarian concepts getting an ever increasing over reaching central government out of the lives of ordinary people. "Progressives" hate it love to describe it as something backwards.
WaldoKitty: I really appreciate your contributions and have more than once given you reputation. I am middle of the road so do not live among the fringe of either party.

In my opinion, a Liberal is for more government to handle "social" issues which help to improve the quality of living. A Conservative rather decrease government, close the border, increase the size and of our military influence, and further arm our state and local police. Both have good ideas an bad.

Speaking of "backwards" ideology I must say there just seems to be something twisted about allowing the advertisement of prostitution and ***** sales within a public forum (as your kids are in the car) within the same county that voted against allow alcohol sales on Sunday because it isn't godly. Unfortunately, that does not add up for me as being a normal, especially in a religious context. It is hard for me not see it as "back in time" and/or a bizarre way of thinking. Prostitution and ***** sales on public billboards = OK but alcohol on Sunday = sin.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Speaking of "backwards" ideology I must say there just seems to be something twisted about allowing the advertisement of prostitution and ***** sales within a public forum (as your kids are in the car) within the same county that voted against allow alcohol sales on Sunday because it isn't godly. Unfortunately, that does not add up for me as being a normal, especially in a religious context. It is hard for me not see it as "back in time" and/or a bizarre way of thinking. Prostitution and ***** sales on public billboards = OK but alcohol on Sunday = sin.
If it is a billboard on private property, there is little that can be done to restrict what can be put on it without getting into a First Amendment battle. (rightfully so) The older sections of I-85 are badly designed making it possible for these signs to appear. Newer sections, don't have this issue.

Doesn't seem right to condemn an entire state because of that situation. (Be thankful you never walked into a BT phone booth in London)

Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If it is a billboard on private property, there is little that can be done to restrict what can be put on it without getting into a First Amendment battle. (rightfully so) The older sections of I-85 are badly designed making it possible for these signs to appear. Newer sections, don't have this issue.

Doesn't seem right to condemn an entire state because of that situation. (Be thankful you never walked into a BT phone booth in London)
I am trying to understand what you are saying. So, because of highway design, we have billboards advertising adult stores and prostitution parlors? Sorry, you then say it is private property and the owner has First Amendment rights. This is where things start getting weird for me with the different political ideologies.

Getting back to the OP's original post. I agree with him in that any discussions regarding politics and social issues seem to be non existent in NC. Hell, didn't Kay Hagan skip a debate? I would expect major fall out from that. So, where is the passion to discuss that slap in the face, and issues like the Duke Energy coal ash debacle, noise pollution from trains, highways and airports, fracking, rapid growth from urban sprawl causing an economic impact, etc. or do people simply care less about whats going on around them unless the issue is in their back yard, or effecting their wallet.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Quote:
I am trying to understand what you are saying. So, because of highway design, we have billboards advertising adult stores and prostitution parlors? Sorry, you then say it is private property and the owner has First Amendment rights. This is where things start getting weird for me with the different political ideologies.

Getting back to the OP's original post. I agree with him in that any discussions regarding politics and social issues seem to be non existent in NC. Hell, didn't Kay Hagan skip a debate? I would expect major fall out from that. So, where is the passion to discuss that slap in the face, and issues like the Duke Energy coal ash debacle, noise pollution from trains, highways and airports, fracking, rapid growth from urban sprawl causing an economic impact, etc. or do people simply care less about whats going on around them unless the issue is in their back yard, or effecting their wallet.
That what amazes me or disappointed in Kay could really use some key legislation or lack of strength in bills that Tillis passed that could give her more of leg up like the VaginaCycle bill, like you mention fracking and the slap on wrist coal ash bill.
Heck she could also get him for the Amendment One which he still fighting, even though their still a lot animosity of people vote being canceled out on that bill particularly in rural NC however those voters wouldnt flip regardless so she should fire up the base on how he passing these unconstitutional laws.
She should also mention that the republicans blocked her bills from being passed (it was their stradegy for this midterm). Instead letting him label her as done nothing.
With all the money the media claim spent their still isnt serious mud slinging like with Helms-Hunt race.
I also think portion of money spent should go to worthy cause for NC.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Heck she could also get him for the Amendment One which he still fighting,....
Hagan is loath to discuss the issue, and has remained silent on Gay rights until just recently because she is afraid of alienating a number of Black churches who are also outspoken critics of Gay & Lesbian marriage and who support Amendment 1. Hagan needs their support to win the election. Not one Democrat in the NC General Assembly has said they will try and stop Tillis.

This is why I say that Gays & Lesbians should take care of who they support. They should at least get something for it, rather than empty talking points & promises.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,403,553 times
Huffington Post has a blog that's smartphone friendly that tracks some early voting statistics.

323,083 voted.

48.5% Dem
.2% Lib
31.1% Rep
20.3% None

72.4% White
24.3% Black
3.4% Other

4.4% 18-29
10.4% 30-44
25.9% 45-50
59.3% 60+

52.3% Female
47% Male
.7% Unknown

91% In Person
9% Mailed in

77.7% Voted in 2010
22.3% Did not vote in 2010

http://www.electproject.org/2014_early_vote

Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
59.3% 60+
An interesting statistic. The HP #s don't seem to include the weekend's tally, but that none the less is interesting. i.e. 3 out of 5 voters are 60 or older. That can't bode well for Hagan.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM

After this weekend's vote:

Voted - 386,412
  • Male - 182,810 = 47.3%
  • Female - 205,686 = 53.2%
  • White - 287,788 = 74.5%
  • Black - 87,826 = 22.7%
  • DEM - 176,268 = 45.6%
  • REP - 128,770 = 33.3%
  • UNA - 80,970 = 21%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina