Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,917 times

Advertisements

We're about to relocate and must choose between Greenville, Winterville, or Rocky Mount.

We'll need a 4BR house--would be great if we bought for $225K or less.

Need something safe, an area open to ppl moving in--conducive to outsiders integrating into the community.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2006, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,915 times
Default Transfer to NC

Hi-
Just wanted to give you my opinion on your choices. Based on your criteria,
Greenville would probably your best bet. It's a college town, but not too big.
There are also smaller communities in close proximity to Greenville. As for housing, it's reasonable. Best way to get a feel for the houses would be to check out www.realtor.com (broken link). Just type in the city & type of property you're looking for; good starting point.
Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2006, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,731 times
wintervill will probably be in your price range.. nice small town.
I lived in gville for 6 years, and moved becuase of crime...

Old 04-12-2006, 06:04 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Winterville would be cheaper to live in but Greenville would have more to offer in the way of different communities and employment. Although Winterville is not that bad of a commute.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Default Winterville

We live in Winterville and love it. My husband is 2.8 mi. from work and comes home for lunch every day. We are 5 miles away from anything, the mailman gives our dog treats. We are considered the country. Greenville has some lovely parts but it is a college town and traffic is terrible, especially downtown on a weekend. What type of work are you looking for? kelsie

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,130 times
Please, do yoursef a favor and scratch Rocky Mount off of your list!!!! Replace it with Wilson if you must have 3 places to chose from. I live in Rocky Mount and feel this city is a diry city full of crime and people that are not intelligent enough to realize how bad it really is. We have never had a lot of nice retail stores but the ones that are somewhat decent have been closing at an alarming rate. Now Rocky Mount has cheap dime stores on they way, for example, they are closing Stein Mart but never fear locals.....Rose's Dime Store is on the way! It took this City 9 years to tear down Terry Town Mall that remained closed after the Flood of Hurrican Floyd. Terry Town was in the heart of Rocky Mount and was a MAJOR EYE SORE for 9 YEARS!!!! They hasve since torn it down and replaced it with a Sam's Club. The town is still just plain filthy. Wilson is by far a much prettier place. The homes there are absolutly BEAUTIFUL!!! Just BEAUTIFUL!!! My favorite area is Cavalier Terrace. There is a neighborhood in Rocky Mount called West Haven that has homes very much like Wilson's, however, the crime in that area is so bad that you can drive down Lafayette Avenue and find 17 homes for sale on that 1 street alone!!! It is just a shame! Rocky Mount has absolutely nothing to offer. NOTHING! I am here because I have to be here for another 4 years but you can best believe than in 3 years and 364 days, I will be packed and ready to get OUT! Please, do yourself a favor and just drive around Rocky Mount and then go 14 miles SW and drive through Wilson. Even if you wear bottle think glasses you will see that Rocky Mount is NOT where you want to be.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,063 times
Default want to relocate from the north

i didnt think rockie mount looked or was that bad, what a shame

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Winterville is basically a suburb of Greenville. They are "basically" the same town. Greenville has the University and PCMH driving its economy. Winterville has Greenville to drive its economy. As for this "conducive to outsiders integrating into the community", both are fine. A slew of people move to both areas due to the hospital/university every year. So they're used to "outsiders" coming in.

People complain about "crime" in Greenville. But as long as you know where to go you'll be fine.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Winterville. It literally runs into Greenville. You still have access to everything Greenville offers without the negative.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:08 PM

168 posts, read 494,300 times
I am moving to Winterville (well Greenville, but my address is Winterville, really doesn't matter) and my dad has a job in Rocky Mount. I get I'm not moving there, but I still don't get what is so horrible about Rocky Mount, after several visits, yeah some sections are rural but I don't get what is so terrible. I also feel G-Ville crime is heavily exaggerated, don't drive around at 1 a.m. trying to start something and you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina