Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Keep reading. That isn't how it works here.
I know that. Any wonder why no one but the very well heeled can afford to live in NJ other than paycheck to paycheck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 03:13 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet education in NC is Hagan's only point in her campaign adverts. You are correct however that neither party would do much for education in NC except that Tillis might vote to get the over reaching and intrusive federal government out of state education.
Other than paying a fair wage to school teachers what can the govt. do to provide an atmosphere for kids to learn? If you want to learn you will. I grew up in the Northeast during Camelot. Lower middle class area. We had schoolbooks that were 5-10 years old. No computers. I learned. Maybe parents should take a more active part when kids are young.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:03 AM

203 posts, read 413,138 times
Angry "... ignorant, barefoot, and pregnant." Is THAT what we want for our kids???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
According to the Greensboro News & Record, NC is rock bottom for teachers now. We thought 46th was bad!

Gee thanks, McCrory, Tillis, and NC Legislature!
I read this entire thread. Then I went back and looked at the article, published September 29th, and even checked out the chart. Yes! It's true! North Carolina has fallen down to number 51!

This year, NC has been ranked as the absolute worst in the nation, even below West Virginia and Mississippi (they are 49 and 50 on the list)!

But ... but ... but ... now hold on just a minute there!

Because right on Thom Tillis's US Senate campaign website, I saw that "Thom’s leadership as Speaker resulted in the passage of a balanced budget that provides teachers with a historic 7 percent average salary increase, moving North Carolina from 46th to 32nd in the national rankings."

How could that be?

Do you think the Greensboro News & Record made up the statistics they published recently?

Was the News & Record lying to everybody? Or was it Thom Tillis who was lying?

And with Republican "leadership" like Thom Tillis working to undermine NC's public school system by any means possible, how could NC's children possibly hope to get a decent education?

Tillis, the NC GOP's anointed right-wing candidate for the US Senate, is an enemy of public education who also wants to abolish minimum wage laws and eliminate the EPA (among other things).

Tillis has been endorsed in his Senate bid by such rabid anti-education one-percenters as Mitt Romney (who only a few short years ago had proclaimed his intent to murder Big Bird by the elimination of all federal funding for PBS Educational Television).

Tillis has also been endorsed by a multitude of Koch-funded political action committees (PACs) that by June this year had collectively invested more than $17 million in anonymous untraceable out-of-state funds into his Senate campaign.

The underlying Republican message on education in NC seems to be clear: If there are NC parents who can't afford private schools for their children, then just let those brats grow up stupid!

That will make the little heathens easier to control when they grow up ...

... and you probably thought that the days of slavery were over, didn't you? Well, think again!

God help us all if Thom Tillis should win his bid for the Senate.

But if Tillis does somehow manage to win, then we know that the Tea Party, and the Koch Brothers, and all those right-wing PACs (and maybe even the Ku Klux Klan) will have another obedient Senator in their pocket who the 1% can control, and who the 1% will control.

And after that, if it happens, the other 99% of us won't be able to do anything about it.

Before you vote this year, you might want to watch this 10-minute clip from a documentary movie that shows how the Koch Brothers attempted to destroy public education in Wake County just a few years ago. The movie clip may help give you a deeper insight into what can be at stake with your children's education, even if your family doesn't live in Raleigh.

In the clip, a link has been provided to the full movie (about an hour) if you want to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgHTjDDi6eg

The future of your children ... and their children ... is in your hands. Don't let them down!

Dan

Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_DC View Post
I read this entire thread. ....

How could that be?
The very simple answer to your question is the study covered the period of time when the Democrats ran the state government, not Tillis.

That single fact invalidates everything else you said. Apparently you only read the parts that you wanted to see.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,253 times
^ Waldo, you still don't get it after all this time, and all the attempts by numerous posts to explain it to you. The very simple answer is that the study covered a period of time when both Democrats and Republicans were in charge, but the study's conclusions are based on the state of education in NC now. It doesn't say NC ranked last when the Democrats were in charge, because we didn't rank last at that time!. Not only did you apparently read the parts you wanted to see, your entire understanding of the study is wrong...completely wrong.

I'm quite sure you'll respond to this in your usual fashion, by continuing to blame the Democrats for the state of education in NC despite having no reasonable basis for your argument. Go right ahead--everyone else knows which party supports education and which one doesn't, and all of your delusional statements won't change that.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
..Waldo, you still don't get it after all this time...but the study's conclusions are based on the state of education in NC now. .....
No you don't get it. The study clearly states its methodology for those who want to read it. It does not base its conclusions on NC now as you incorrectly state. Furthermore I never stated that it blamed it on the Democrats. In fact the study is non-partisan. It's the partisans here who are trying to place political blame.

Repeating a falsehood over and over won't make it true and you are simply wrong.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
As the state under Mr Tillis continues to hurt education, what does he think he can do in the US Senate? Maybe lower standards to make his ideas look better. Maybe lower taxes on the top so the budget deficit starts to go up again, it is now going down.

No Mr. Tillis is not the man to go to Washington

Old 10-10-2014, 12:38 PM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
As the state under Mr Tillis continues to hurt education, what does he think he can do in the US Senate? Maybe lower standards to make his ideas look better. Maybe lower taxes on the top so the budget deficit starts to go up again, it is now going down.

No Mr. Tillis is not the man to go to Washington
Thom Tillis is the man. I've found faulty information in plenty of Kay Hagan advertisments-
1. A ad says "I'm a school teacher in Wake County, and I have no text books"
How is the state capital NOT going to have the best education district?
2. A ad says "I'm a college student in Charlotte and now thanks to Tillis i have to pay to eat"
When did colleges NOT have to pay to eat?
And for the "Corporate tax cuts"
I assume its a plan for this-
1. When Corporate get tax cuts, they move to North Carolina, provide income, and straighten out the economy. Some states like Texas do not even have corporate tax.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Are you kidding? When she WAS a state senator she did more for education than Tillis or his cabal of GOP wunderkind. That's not even debatable.

But the current hagan/tillis vote won't mean much to education in NC, so we can debate that in another thread.
Ok, she was a state senator. Now 2 doofuses who are arguing about medicare fraud on each other from Cumberland County are going to be the state senator.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Current poll-
Hagan=46%
Tillis=45%
Haugh=9%

Keep voting for Tillis!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina