Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
OK, it's just that sometimes I get to thinking that "Yankee" or "NYer" or "NJ person" is just code for Jew, Italian, hispanic... maybe I am just getting touchy.
Maybe I want people to stop & think about all the things those groups have added to this country, unfortunate fashion choices aside.

Hi Nyer Honestly, and I mean this sincerely, when I use the terms "yankee" or "new yorkers" it is strictly as a nickname. It had not even occured to me that anyone would consider these terms codes for racial groups! Down here we have plenty of Italians, Hispanics, and a growing Jewish community. But once they are here most of us just think of them as fellow southerners

I can totally understand that no one wants to be lumped in with and judged by the actions/ presentations of others just because you live in the same geographical area, but it does happen. I prefer to believe that when it does, no malicious intent exists. Stereotyping is what we humans do as a simple way of catorgizing people different from ourselves. Once we actually get the opportunity to know someone from a different place as an individual most of us graduate up to appreciating our differences instead of arguing over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Nyer Honestly, and I mean this sincerely, when I use the terms "yankee" or "new yorkers" it is strictly as a nickname. It had not even occured to me that anyone would consider these terms codes for racial groups! Down here we have plenty of Italians, Hispanics, and a growing Jewish community. But once they are here most of us just think of them as fellow southerners

I can totally understand that no one wants to be lumped in with and judged by the actions/ presentations of others just because you live in the same geographical area, but it does happen. I prefer to believe that when it does, no malicious intent exists. Stereotyping is what we humans do as a simple way of catorgizing people different from ourselves. Once we actually get the opportunity to know someone from a different place as an individual most of us graduate up to appreciating our differences instead of arguing over them.
Thanks for the kind words, I was not picking on you.
I think it is harder to adjust to groups that dress differently (too much make up or jewelry) eat different foods (curry, pasta) or celebrate totally different holidays (purim)
What is different down here in regard to appearances, is how many men have long hair, and how many more people have tatoos.

It is just as hard for me as for any one else, despite my years in the"diversity" capital of the country!

I got my back up b/c it seems to be a theme, that people are talking about how "Yankees" Look as much as how we Act... is that really fair?

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
OK, it's just that sometimes I get to thinking that "Yankee" or "NYer" or "NJ person" is just code for Jew, Italian, hispanic... maybe I am just getting touchy.
Maybe I want people to stop & think about all the things those groups have added to this country, unfortunate fashion choices aside.
I think that is completely, 100% false. The word does have different meanings, sometimes derogatory, sometimes as 'just a name', but I've never heard anyone use it to mean anything ethnic or racial. New York City is sort of the epicenter of the word, but many people would consider someone from rural upstate NY or the rural upper midwest to be a Yankee.

Personally, when I hear the word, I picture a wealthy, slightly nerdy white guy from Connecticut.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, I was not picking on you.
I think it is harder to adjust to groups that dress differently (too much make up or jewelry) eat different foods (curry, pasta) or celebrate totally different holidays (purim)
What is different down here in regard to appearances, is how many men have long hair, and how many more people have tatoos.

It is just as hard for me as for any one else, despite my years in the"diversity" capital of the country!

I got my back up b/c it seems to be a theme, that people are talking about how "Yankees" Look as much as how we Act... is that really fair?
Nah, it's not fair. But try not to take it to heart too much - the vast majority of us here don't think of the newcomers in an angry way at all. We really don't mean the term "yankees" in a degrogatory way - like I said, it's more a nickname than anything else

Old 11-08-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I think that is completely, 100% false....Personally, when I hear the word, I picture a wealthy, slightly nerdy white guy from Connecticut.
OK but elsewhere on the thread we were hearing about the excessive jewelry & all, and that is really not a Connecticut thing, or the style on Long Island's North Shore, where I am from, which is also preppy.
It is a Jewish-Italian thing, at least for many, but of course not all of us.

My point is, some of those loud, overdressed people can seem to be obnoxious. But I have found them to be very loving & caring too, just in a more effusive way than many are used to.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
OK but elsewhere on the thread we were hearing about the excessive jewelry & all, and that is really not a Connecticut thing, or the style on Long Island's North Shore, where I am from, which is also preppy.
It is a Jewish-Italian thing, at least for many, but of course not all of us.

My point is, some of those loud, overdressed people can seem to be obnoxious. But I have found them to be very loving & caring too, just in a more effusive way than many are used to.
I completely understand. But I wouldn't take a post or two from this message board as gospel. I'd like to point out - there are certainly some "white vs. black/black vs. white" issues still in the south (mainly the rural south, and mainly political instead of personal).

But very, very rarely do I ever hear things about the larger ethnicities of New York (Italians, Irish, Jews, Eastern Europeans). No lie, I didn't even get Jewish jokes until I was about 17 years old. I knew there was a difference between Jews & Catholics (different religions of course), but I hadn't the faintest clue what the stereotypes were. It would be like me making a joke about the difference between Tibetans and Nepalese. It just wouldn't register with anybody.

Of course, everyone knows the Italian stereotypes (because of TV and movies), but I wouldn't say that they are any less fair than the stereotype of the "Southern redneck".

Last edited by anonymous; 11-08-2006 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I completely understand. But I wouldn't take a post or two from this message board as gospel. I'd like to point out - there are certainly some "white vs. black/black vs. white" issues still in the south (mainly the rural south, and mainly political instead of personal).

But very, very rarely do I ever hear things about the larger ethnicities of New York (Italians, Irish, Jews, Eastern Europeans). No lie, I didn't even understand Jewish jokes until I was about 17 years old. I knew there was a difference between Jews & Catholics (different religions of course), but I hadn't the faintest clue what the stereotypes were.
You and me both! I know some people probably won't believe we grew up in the south and didn't learn more prejudice than we southerners have been accused of having! The only racial slur I ever knew was the "n" word - and I got my backside spanked real good the one time I actually used it. In college the first Jewish person I ever met used the term "****" (I think that was it) and I swear I had no clue what he was talking about!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:

But very, very rarely do I ever hear things about the larger ethnicities of New York (Italians, Irish, Jews, Eastern Europeans). No lie, I didn't even get Jewish jokes until I was about 17 years old. I knew there was a difference between Jews & Catholics (different religions of course), but I hadn't the faintest clue what the stereotypes were. It would be like me making a joke about the difference between Tibetans and Nepalese. It just wouldn't register with anybody.

Of course, everyone knows the Italian stereotypes (because of TV and movies), but I wouldn't say that they are any less fair than the stereotype of the "Southern redneck".
Wow. That is sooo interesting to me. Since we have so many sub-groups in the metro area there are a lot of stereotypes that get batted around, I will not repeat them here. It is bizarre for me to be lumped in with all northerners as a Yankee instead of being labelled by my groups like I was up north.
Often members of one group will say that all the bad drivers/ rude people/thieves belong to one of the other groups!
I agree that Italians & Southerners are painted with a broad brush, those are acceptable prejudices, it seems. I rarely see negative Jewish depictions on tv, for example. And there are always clowns who exploit their own group.

Finally, I remember the first time I was called a Yankee. I was called a Yank, to be more precise. It ws in England. They call ALL Americans Yankees! And yes, it is pejorative.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 PM

233 posts, read 906,819 times
Quote:

Finally, I remember the first time I was called a Yankee. I was called a Yank, to be more precise. It ws in England. They call ALL Americans Yankees! And yes, it is pejorative.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
For me (and I believe most or at least many Southerners) Yankee just means someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line. Nothing more. There is no malice meant at all when I use the word. And I certainly am not thinking of any particular ethnic group or northern stereotype.

I agree that most ethnic stereotypes and racial slurs are foreign to Southerners. At least until they are adults and/or have experienced life outside of the South. The main racial slurs and stereotypes around here are about blacks and Mexicans, but it's certainly not rampant or anything. I think it just depends on where and how you were raised and your own personal morals and values. My mom's side of the family (who all live in and around Fayetteville) has always used racial slurs about blacks, but I can honestly say that I never have. Even from a young age it just seemed wrong to me and, as a Christian, wrong in the eyes of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina