Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:06 PM

277 posts, read 436,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You're making my point. It's not the "media" per se but mostly the Raleigh media leading the charge to continue to rehash the story. You can't get blood from a turnip. They're pitifully looking for new angles and twist to keep it current...breaking news "UNC Scandal causes backup on I-40 as team of NCAA investigators leave campus...costs taxpayers $250,000."

You continue to dwell on a very small number of people in comparisons to the number of people impacted or that have graduated from the school in the past 20 years. The "1500" students and "18" years makes a better story...note the word story.

It's over...let it go. The NCAA will come down with additional sanctions, the school appointed an independent non-biased investigator for full transparency. Go ahead, take down the banners....more eventually will go up. UNC is the flagship university and will not lose accreditation, deal with it....the scandal is over.

Whatever the punishment is it'll never satisfy those that dislike the school for whatever reason.
You're also making his point in return...you can downplay "1500" and "!8" years, but it's a big deal. The NCAA won't do anything- UNC is the golden goose of basketball. Far too much money to be made to hand out any serious sanctions, and I think that's what irks people most people. The school cheated and will get away with it. I don't think many wants UNC to shut the doors or lose accreditation, but many want the tarheel faithful to eat their humble pie and to see the athletic program suffer. When you recruit off of fraudulent classes, free meals, and wheels....it gives you an unfair advantage. People want UNC to pay for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
What is going on over there? Complete lack of control....the coaches had to have seen this.

UNC celebration damages Duke locker room | The Herald-Sun
Lol, open up another independent investigation...the paint obviously didn't meet NCAA guidelines. It's a rivalry game, anything can happen and in the grand scheme of things...minor. But, let's escalate it to the level of some related scandal....makes a better story.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
You're also making his point in return...you can downplay "1500" and "!8" years, but it's a big deal. The NCAA won't do anything- UNC is the golden goose of basketball. Far too much money to be made to hand out any serious sanctions, and I think that's what irks people most people. The school cheated and will get away with it. I don't think many wants UNC to shut the doors or lose accreditation, but many want the tarheel faithful to eat their humble pie and to see the athletic program suffer. When you recruit off of fraudulent classes, free meals, and wheels....it gives you an unfair advantage. People want UNC to pay for that.
How are they not paying for it? Please elaborate, the additional sanctions haven't even been given. What are "serious" sanctions. It doesn't matter what sanctions UNC receives, it isn't going to be enough in the eyes of many. Terms like "humble pie" underscore the call for a witch hunt.

What the hell are free meals, wheels and recruiting on fraudulent classes. You're making my point about making up things to morph this into a scandal that rates up to the UNC hate-fest. Can't wait to hear the next level of scandal related charges trumped-up on this thread. The level of hate is amazing....lol, the double talk..."don't want UNC to shut the doors or lose accreditation"...but want "Tarheel faithful to eat their humble pie"...."serious sanction". Totally incoherent...

Any successful program has an unfair advantage, name one that doesn't. The Laker, Yankees, Duke, Kentucky, Bama (CFB), etc. etc.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM

135 posts, read 162,854 times
I am not a fan of either school. I do, however, have a hard time understanding your points Big Aristotle as you seem to be contradicting yourself...not trying to pick a side, just trying to understand and learn...

You suggest it isn't the media but it is part of the media, thus, it is the media...
You seem to be trying to minimise the problem but suggest HP91 is mentioning a small # vs. the number impacted which I would think suggests a bigger problem and not a smaller one...
You say it is over and yet you say the NCAA will issue sanctions which suggests that it is not over.
I definitely do not understand how an institution can appoint someone independant of the school since they are appointing the investigator...seems like they should have an independant authority appoint a person / team to investigate...they may have done that, but I don't know and it appears you are suggesting that the school hired the investigator...

Outside of that, I thought I heard something this weekend on accreditation but missed what they said as I was involved with something else at the time...

Old 11-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
I am not a fan of either school. I do, however, have a hard time understanding your points Big Aristotle as you seem to be contradicting yourself...not trying to pick a side, just trying to understand and learn...

You suggest it isn't the media but it is part of the media, thus, it is the media...
You seem to be trying to minimise the problem but suggest HP91 is mentioning a small # vs. the number impacted which I would think suggests a bigger problem and not a smaller one...
You say it is over and yet you say the NCAA will issue sanctions which suggests that it is not over.
I definitely do not understand how an institution can appoint someone independant of the school since they are appointing the investigator...seems like they should have an independant authority appoint a person / team to investigate...they may have done that, but I don't know and it appears you are suggesting that the school hired the investigator...

Outside of that, I thought I heard something this weekend on accreditation but missed what they said as I was involved with something else at the time...
No, it's the Raleigh media. Have you done any research on the matter other than using those numbers stated on this thread? My suggestion is to do that first. Sure, a lot of people hate the so-called "Carolina Way", none more than Raleigh/NC State, it's sort of their job to hone in on Chapel Hill...it's kind of psychotic actually.

UNC already got punished by the NCAA and a lot of the problems were uncovered then. A lot of the people involved were removed at that time, it's the same department...the one department on campus. Until a former basketball player (McCants) and former faculty member (Willingham) created a new frenzy about the matter did it warrant additional investigation. The obsessed NC State and Raleigh crowd had an agenda, at all cost, dig.

Who the hell else are they going to hire? They hired a reputable non-biased independent investigator that had nothing to gain or lose in the process but obviously you're not well versed in the subject matter and most of your knowledge is being fed via this thread.

At this time, Raleigh/NC State is looking to keep the pressure on, keep the scandal current as if though the NCAA might some how overlook the matter. Problems is they (NCAA) already dished out sanctions but what level will the new discoveries increase those sanctions. The only way is to keep making ridiculous associations to the scandal...keep it sort of fresh and make sure numbers like "20 years", 1800, etc are underscored.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Why not hush it up? What does it benefit any institution or business to have it's brand contested and at times unfairly tarnished, as if though it was campus-wide corruption. Simply refer to this thread .....
They are not just ANY institution. They are a tax payer paid for institution. That alone opens them up to public scrutiny.

In regards to this thread, the only defense that I see given for UNC is to call in question the motives of those who raise the issue. This is what people do who can't otherwise defend what the school did. I have yet to hear an argument that justifies UNC's actions.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They are not just ANY institution. They are a tax payer paid for institution. That alone opens them up to public scrutiny.

In regards to this thread, the only defense that I see given for UNC is to call in question the motives of those who raise the issue. This is what people do who can't otherwise defend what the school did. I have yet to hear an argument that justifies UNC's actions.

Are you suggesting public institutions don't have the right to safeguard their brand? So UNC is wrong for questioning the motives of a displaced faculty member and a former athlete who failed at a pro career.

Are you also implying that UNC (or any institution) should allow certain media outlets (with ulterior motives) access to questionably public information to then report the so-called news or story? No company or institution is that foolish.

UNC fulfilled it's obligation to the NCAA with the initial investigation and received sanctions. No business or institution is required to go beyond those requirements. In this case, additional information was brought to the attention of administrators, they hired an independent company to investigate those allegations. The report was made public....not sure what else people expect the school or administrators to do.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM

135 posts, read 162,854 times
Quote:
No, it's the Raleigh media. Have you done any research on the matter other than using those numbers stated on this thread? My suggestion is to do that first. Sure, a lot of people hate the so-called "Carolina Way", none more than Raleigh/NC State, it's sort of their job to hone in on Chapel Hill...it's kind of psychotic actually.

UNC already got punished by the NCAA and a lot of the problems were uncovered then. A lot of the people involved were removed at that time, it's the same department...the one department on campus. Until a former basketball player (McCants) and former faculty member (Willingham) created a new frenzy about the matter did it warrant additional investigation. The obsessed NC State and Raleigh crowd had an agenda, at all cost, dig.

Who the hell else are they going to hire? They hired a reputable non-biased independent investigator that had nothing to gain or lose in the process but obviously you're not well versed in the subject matter and most of your knowledge is being fed via this thread.

At this time, Raleigh/NC State is looking to keep the pressure on, keep the scandal current as if though the NCAA might some how overlook the matter. Problems is they (NCAA) already dished out sanctions but what level will the new discoveries increase those sanctions. The only way is to keep making ridiculous associations to the scandal...keep it sort of fresh and make sure numbers like "20 years", 1800, etc are underscored.
Thanks for clarifying...I think...I said I was trying to learn and not that I am an expert...based on your clarification:

I was correct in my thinking that it is the media who is keeping it going but you are saying it is only a portion of the media...
Still not sure how someone who the school hired is truely independant of the school since the school chose who to hire and is presumably paying them, but it is what it is and apparently the investigator did their job in finding additional issues...
And it really isn't over based on your suggestion that there are potentially more sanctions coming...
It seems to me that "the obscessed NC State and Raleigh crowd" are not the only ones with an agenda as it seems the Carolina crowd would like this to go away quickly and quietly...

Thank you again for the information...

Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
I was correct in my thinking that it is the media who is keeping it going but you are saying it is only a portion of the media........
It's not just the media. As posted above, a former student and participant in the African American course has filed a lawsuit against UNC for not getting the education he was promised. He is seeking class action status.

Whether or not he prevails, is another matter, but UNC has opened itself up to this sort of action.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-26-2014 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting public institutions don't have the right to safeguard their brand? So UNC is wrong for questioning the motives of a displaced faculty member and a former athlete who failed at a pro career. ..
Indeed I am. Because they serve at the pleasure of the taxpayers who support them, then it's the taxpayers in the end that will decide what happens. Discussions by the taxpayers are certainly valid.

They will protect their brand by being transparent, dealing with those who allowed this to happen, and put forth a well documented plan to explain how it won't happen again. It's simple stuff. No need to hire multi-million dollar publicity firms.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-26-2014 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina