Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
But is it just as visible as the Deep South culture? Is it as widespread? Fayetteville is not a big city yet it still has all of this.

I've lived and been through even country areas of TN and it wasn't nearly as prominent as in Fayetteville.

Vietnamese is regular.

Nice try though.
Well that's hard to answer because I don't know what you consider "Deep South culture". Pensacola has many transplants because of the Navy base, and I hear just as many Midwestern and Northeastern accents as I do Southern accents, yet I still consider it to be the Deep South.

All I'm saying is that Fayetteville reminds me a lot of my area. No need for you to get worked up about it.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 11-23-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well that's hard to answer that because I don't know what you consider "Deep South culture". Pensacola has many transplants because of the Navy base, and I hear just as many Midwestern and Northeastern accents as I do Southern accents, yet I still consider it to be the Deep South.

All I'm saying is that Fayetteville reminds me a lot of my area. No need for you to get worked up about it.
Deep South culture to me has much more of a traditional Southern feel. Some of it has been expounded upon in Mutiny's post. There are parts of TN and VA that feel far more "Deep South" to me than Fayetteville.

LOL...the only person who is worked up here is you. Obviously, you were offended at the inference that there is more diversity in terms of cuisine here than generally found in the Deep South and decided to get snippy. So that's just what was returned.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-23-2014 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard Fayetteville doesn't feel Southern.

The accents, the demographics (aside from military personnel it's mainly Black and White), religion (Baptist and conservative evangelical denominations predominate), cuisine (the Southern staples and BBQ), weather (warm, can get hot in summer), geography (Southern coastal plain, near Sandhills), expressions ("Southernisms"), pace (slow, not hurried), development patterns (small core with lots of sprawl), political ideology (socially conservative), etc. etc. All that pretty much combines to make a pretty Southern place.
Mutiny you probably been hearing from people who don't live in Fayetteville, have never lived there, and have not spent any significant time there. I grew up in Fayetteville and it definitely isn't deep south. The demographics not just because of military is all over, Koreans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominican's, Nigerians, Ethiopians, whole lot of people that are 2 are more races, Ghanaian's, etc etc. I had more Korean friends growing up then Black and White friends. Most people don't even have a accent in Fayetteville unless you are talking to somebody 55+. The pace isn't slow because it's southern, the pace is slow because it's not like Fayetteville has another big industry other then Fort Bragg is basically connected to it, and development is slow because it's reputation hasn't left since it first got the Fayettenam nick name.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:15 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
"Southern" isn't a bad thing, people. We're talking about Fayetteville, here. If it doesn't seem southern to y'all, where are you coming from? South Georgia? Maybe the Mississippi Delta? Please, Fayetteville is VERY southern. Hate to break it to y'all, but it's not similar to the Research Triangle or Charlotte. Ft. Bragg certainly helps, but I don't think it's that diverse. Deep South characteristics aren't necessarily bad.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Mutiny you probably been hearing from people who don't live in Fayetteville, have never lived there, and have not spent any significant time there. I grew up in Fayetteville and it definitely isn't deep south. The demographics not just because of military is all over, Koreans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominican's, Nigerians, Ethiopians, whole lot of people that are 2 are more races, Ghanaian's, etc etc. I had more Korean friends growing up then Black and White friends. Most people don't even have a accent in Fayetteville unless you are talking to somebody 55+. The pace isn't slow because it's southern, the pace is slow because it's not like Fayetteville has another big industry other then Fort Bragg is basically connected to it, and development is slow because it's reputation hasn't left since it first got the Fayettenam nick name.
Exactly. Honestly, a major reason that I would remain here as opposed to plenty other areas of the South is due to the culture/demographics. Not being part of a traditionally Southern group, it is important to me that a place has a significant multicultural environment, especially for child-rearing. Somehow Fayetteville has both significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
"Southern" isn't a bad thing, people. We're talking about Fayetteville, here. If it doesn't seem southern to y'all, where are you coming from? South Georgia? Maybe the Mississippi Delta? Please, Fayetteville is VERY southern. Hate to break it to y'all, but it's not similar to the Research Triangle or Charlotte. Ft. Bragg certainly helps, but I don't think it's that diverse. Deep South characteristics aren't necessarily bad.
It certainly does seem Southern to me, but not Deep Southern. I'm coming from the DC Metro area. Raleigh feels more Southern to me than Charlotte. The Research Triangle feels more like a small town-city, sort of how Nashville feels. I prefer both Fayetteville and Charlotte to the Research Triangle.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
This.

It does seem Southern to me, but not Deep Southern. I'm coming from the DC Metro area. Raleigh feels more Southern to me than Charlotte. The Research Triangle feels more like a small town-city, sort of how Nashville feels. I prefer both Fayetteville and Charlotte to the Research Triangle.
I was with you but Fayetteville over the research triangle? What ever floats your boat. When is the last time you have been to Raleigh or Durham? Just growing up in Fayetteville, going to school in the Triad, and Living here in the Triangle now, I just can't see how you get more of a small town feel from the Triangle versus Fayetteville(don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it).

Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I was with you but Fayetteville over the research triangle? What ever floats your boat. When is the last time you have been to Raleigh or Durham? Just growing up in Fayetteville, going to school in the Triad, and Living here in the Triangle now, I just can't see how you get more of a small town feel from the Triangle versus Fayetteville(don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it).
My post didn't say that I got a more small town feel from the Triangle than Fayetteville, but that the Triangle has a small town-city feel similar to how Nashville feels to me. So it just wasn't my style.

Been there quite a few times recently for different reasons. The Triangle really doesn't take me as far as cities. Charlotte definitely more my style.

I just like both Charlotte and Fayetteville more than the Triangle...that's all.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Jay no one said southern is bad, Neither did I state it was not southern, it is but a lot of the people are not, what I said is that It was not deep south and a lot of the points you made let me know immediately you probably haven't been there or pass through there but didn't actually spend time there. I grew up in Fayetteville, Lived in the triad while going to college, lived in Charlotte and now in the Triangle. And Fayetteville is not significantly more southern then those places(it just isn't a nice as place to live or to visit). What is significant is development, like I mentioned most people that don't leave off to go to school(or need a way to pay for school) just say, well I'll join the military. There is no real industry that is going to spur that growth outside of that. Which means outside of the military, migration there is going to be slower and it will and does have less to offer.

Fayetteville is diverse, I have visited a lot of places. I'm not saying it's the beacon of it, but it has it.

What let me know immediately again you haven't been there is you said the cuisine is typical of the deep south, southern dishes and bbq. I wish there were more of that, but I can probably find 10 places to find some bulgogi beef or go grab some yaki soba before I can find a place cooking up bbq and some good ole southern staples.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you JayJay, but I grew up in Fayetteville, have friends in Fayetteville, have relatives in Fayetteville and Fayetteville is not "VERY" Southern. It definitely is a city in the South, but it's not particularly Southern — not really any more Southern than Raleigh. Just because you get a feeling of the "Deep South" when you drive through on the way to the beach does not make you an expert. Drrck and I both grew up there. My parents' lived in the same house for 50+ years and ended up with neighbors on either side who were military folks from somewhere else and very lovely neighbors too. When I was little almost all the military folks lived on base and their kids went to school on base. Fayetteville kept the military at arms length and had more of a Southern identity then. But now Fayetteville embraces the military and military members and retired military live throughout town and greatly influence the culture of the town, which is far, far more military focused than anything else.

Short version: Fayetteville used to be pretty Southern (never "Deep South"), but now really isn't any more Southern than Raleigh or Charlotte. It's poorer, but not more Southern.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
This isn't too much different from places like Columbus and Augusta, and even Charlesto when theh had the Navy base--yet those places still have Deep South qualities.

Fayetteville is more on the edge of the Deep South so it doesn't completely give you that feel, but it definitely has some characteristics and overall felt Southern to me when I last visited. It DEFINITELY doesn't feel like the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, West Coast, Intermountain West, or Pacific Northwest, that's for sure. It fits pretty solidly within the South IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina