Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times

Advertisements

The word send in title should be second hand. Sorry.

Hi everyone. I hope this post isn't too confusing. Have a few questions on different aspects of long distance move.

Does anyone care to recommend a mover for move from central NY to Winston-Salem, NC. I have had numerous phone calls and some emails and most are charging $1884.00. The price is one thing but the quality of move is another. My stuff is not brand new. But hopefully won't look worse for making this move. I've made other moves and do realize there is no "perfect" in this effort. How much tip is due the movers?

If I were to leave some of my stuff here and not move it with me, I would have to shop in 2nd hand stores, etc. That is not the worry. The worry comes from how do I get the item from the store to my new apartment on 2nd floor? The items I need are big, heavy items and cannot move them myself. Not supposed to do heavy lifting. I don't always follow those rules, but I have to draw the limit somewhere.

OK, last but certainly not least. I have an 11 year old cat who I have had forever. Never wore a harness/leash. Tried it once, didn't work out very well. She managed to squirm out of it after she gave me a good scratching. I tend to baby her. So she is spoiled. When to feed/water her? Right now and for all of her time with me she has been a "grazer".

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 06-04-2015 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Error in title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM

328 posts, read 767,710 times
Do you mean when do you feed/water her while transporting and moving? There are cat carriers and cat bags (designed specifically for cats, not just a bag) and I would put her in a large cat carrier with a tiny litter box so that she can go to the bathroom if needed on the ride down. Feed her a little an hour or two before you get in the car to leave and then not until you get her settled in a closed-off room where she can explore safely. You don't want her vomiting in the car from all of the motion.

Make sure you don't leave her in a hot car for longer than just a quick run in the rest-stop and use the bathroom quickly kind of stop. Perhaps get some of that pet-calming spray and start using that a week before your trip to help her calm down before, during, and after the move.

If you are getting an immediate unloading of your stuff, perhaps rent a pet-friendly hotel and keep her there. Put a do-not disturb sign on the door when you are gone and put her in the cat carrier if you do have to leave. Cats are little escape artists and she will feel very confused about the unfamiliar setting. The last thing you want is her getting out and getting hurt by a stranger or hit by a car. Update your pet records and microchip information if she has one. My cats are spoiled, too! Good luck with the move

Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,389,463 times
Definitely get pheromone spray and spray it on a towel and put it in the cat carrier.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have an 11 year old cat who I have had forever. Never wore a harness/leash .... When to feed/water her? Right now and for all of her time with me she has been a "grazer".
I moved my cat in a 7-hour drive to the coast. You should use a hard-sided cat carrier, and get her used to being in one. Feed her the night before, but not on the day of the trip. She will probably be too upset to eat anyway. I put a towel in the bottom of the carrier in case of accidents. I also put in some of my clothing to give her a familiar smell.

When she gets to the new place, she will probably hide for a couple of days. Don't worry, and the cat will come out when she gets hungry enough. Good Luck.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-04-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times
Less than $2,000 for the movers doesn't sound bad.

I agree with using a carrier. Ask your current vet about the possibility of a mild sedative for the trip... not sure of the implications for an older cat.

Some second hand stores offer delivery for a modest fee. Otherwise, your apt manager might be able to give you a reference for day laborers/college kids who would be available (with a truck) for this type of hourly work. Again, Craigslist is a source, but get references.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Thank you all for your input. Good things to know.

I wondered if some of the 2nd hand shops might have delivery. Also, great idea to check in Craig's list to see if I can hire that service.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:06 AM

16 posts, read 20,562 times
What mover? <2K is very cheap.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysomemore View Post
What mover? <2K is very cheap.
Top Quality Movers, 570-221-4001, John Sellars. He called about six times and I received one or two emails from him.

Meridian International Moving --- no more info on this one

State To State Relocation, 877-987-7787 -- info@statetostaterelocation.com

Atlas Smartmoves -- Triple A discount

North Van Lines

OZ Movers

I don't know if all of them offer <$2,000 moves, but you can check them out.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Probably makes more sense to ask about a mover FROM New York on the NY forum, since that's the originating point. Questions about Winston-Salem specifically would be better directed to the Tried subforum.
Cat questions, to the Pets forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina