Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM

53 posts, read 89,716 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks. We live in Maine at the moment. I've lived in Maine since I was 11 years old, so it's what I know. Where we live has become very "ghost-town like", and very clicky, not always friendly. My daughter was bullied in elementary and middle school, and the first half of her freshman year. She home schools now, but is looking forward to getting back into a school again, and getting involved in theatre and just being a teen ( she's a jr). We had visited the Pinehurst area a few times and really loved the hospitality and charm. We found a house to rent in Aberdeen, and we felt very comfortable visiting the area. Now I'm hearing all of these nightmare stories of crime in Aberdeen. It's making me a little nervous. Anyone on here that lives in Aberdeen and can tell me their thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
We are moving to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks. We live in Maine at the moment. I've lived in Maine since I was 11 years old, so it's what I know. Where we live has become very "ghost-town like", and very clicky, not always friendly. My daughter was bullied in elementary and middle school, and the first half of her freshman year. She home schools now, but is looking forward to getting back into a school again, and getting involved in theatre and just being a teen ( she's a jr). We had visited the Pinehurst area a few times and really loved the hospitality and charm. We found a house to rent in Aberdeen, and we felt very comfortable visiting the area. Now I'm hearing all of these nightmare stories of crime in Aberdeen. It's making me a little nervous. Anyone on here that lives in Aberdeen and can tell me their thought?
Aberdeen covers a lot of acreage. I live two minutes from the rural part of Aberdeen and 30 minutes from the center of the Aberdeen business area.
It all depends on where in Aberdeen you will be living as to how much crime you will be subjected to.
Living close to the business district you will see more crime, just like every other town.

The police chief in Aberdeen is formerly a chief in a very upscale town in the Northeast and he could tell you more about crime Aberdeen than anybody.

Police - Aberdeen NC

Old 09-18-2015, 08:12 AM

THank you , PDD. Actually we are moving to a neighborhood that only like a half mile or so from all the restaurants. It does seem like a really nice area, the neighborhood has very nice homes, and a lot of military families. Everyone just seems so nice there, and I am hopeful that I can make at least one friend right away. That would make me feel a whole lot better. We are only renting, so it will give us the ability to look around the areas and kind of get a feel for different neighboorhoods......though I'm really a country girl at heart. �� I guess we aren't near the downtown area? I must have missed that area when we were there, didn't even realize there was one. We went into Southern Pines and walked around their downtown area, which I thought was nice. And of course, Pinehurst, which I fell in love with. I will be sure to contact the chief of police when I get there. And again, thank you so much. Sometimes all you hear are the negatives, and when moving to a new place, that can be pretty scary. So I really appreciate your honesty and help.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
Former New Englander here and I live in Aberdeen as well. I am familiar with the neighborhood area that you will be moving to. Just use common sense- lock your vehicle at night, lock your doors when you go out, don't leave bikes out at night all over the yard or your garage door wide open when you go out to the store etc. If you look at the stats on crime here, PDD is correct in that it's mainly in the business area. You will be living outside of that area and far enough away. You will become familiar with your neighbors and the area quickly and will know if something isn't right. Then, you make a phone call LOL. The police here are great, they really are. They seem to be pretty on top of things and at the same time friendly and concerned for the residents.

I think you will like it here. The downtown is tiny, very walkable and getting new shops and businesses in slowly. It's a work in progress. Take time to visit the Bakehouse on Poplar St. It's down the street from the Post Office. Welcome!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
THank you , PDD. Actually we are moving to a neighborhood that only like a half mile or so from all the restaurants. It does seem like a really nice area, the neighborhood has very nice homes, and a lot of military families. Everyone just seems so nice there, and I am hopeful that I can make at least one friend right away. That would make me feel a whole lot better. We are only renting, so it will give us the ability to look around the areas and kind of get a feel for different neighboorhoods......though I'm really a country girl at heart. �� I guess we aren't near the downtown area? I must have missed that area when we were there, didn't even realize there was one. We went into Southern Pines and walked around their downtown area, which I thought was nice. And of course, Pinehurst, which I fell in love with. I will be sure to contact the chief of police when I get there. And again, thank you so much. Sometimes all you hear are the negatives, and when moving to a new place, that can be pretty scary. So I really appreciate your honesty and help.
If you want to see some interesting properties in Aberdeen, Google Like Diamond pinehurst which is only five miles from the center of Pinehurst but 15 miles from Aberdeen center. I have been here five years and just found Lake Diamond recently.
Also google map the same area.
The Sandhills are a very interesting area.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Aberdeen covers a lot of acreage. I live two minutes from the rural part of Aberdeen and 30 minutes from the center of the Aberdeen business area.
It all depends on where in Aberdeen you will be living as to how much crime you will be subjected to.
Living close to the business district you will see more crime, just like every other town.

The police chief in Aberdeen is formerly a chief in a very upscale town in the Northeast and he could tell you more about crime Aberdeen than anybody.

Police - Aberdeen NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasplace View Post
Former New Englander here and I live in Aberdeen as well. I am familiar with the neighborhood area that you will be moving to. Just use common sense- lock your vehicle at night, lock your doors when you go out, don't leave bikes out at night all over the yard or your garage door wide open when you go out to the store etc. If you look at the stats on crime here, PDD is correct in that it's mainly in the business area. You will be living outside of that area and far enough away. You will become familiar with your neighbors and the area quickly and will know if something isn't right. Then, you make a phone call LOL. The police here are great, they really are. They seem to be pretty on top of things and at the same time friendly and concerned for the residents.

I think you will like it here. The downtown is tiny, very walkable and getting new shops and businesses in slowly. It's a work in progress. Take time to visit the Bakehouse on Poplar St. It's down the street from the Post Office. Welcome!
Thank you, mamasplace. Love hearing something positive. Where in New England are you from?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasplace View Post
The downtown is tiny, very walkable and getting new shops and businesses in slowly. It's a work in progress. Take time to visit the Bakehouse on Poplar St. It's down the street from the Post Office. Welcome!
Hello - I did a Google streetview and I am curious about the large brick building with the dome at the corner of West Main and Poplar. They labeled El Pueblito Restaurant, but it looks more like a courthouse or library. Do you know what it is?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Hello - I did a Google streetview and I am curious about the large brick building with the dome at the corner of West Main and Poplar. They labeled El Pueblito Restaurant, but it looks more like a courthouse or library. Do you know what it is?
That building is Page Memorial Methodist Church.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:48 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I'm a former New Englander, many years ago, but I think I understand your trepidation. You are going from deep Yankee to deep south. I bet you will love it. The weather is great. I am more familiar with Southern Pines, just a short hop to Aberdeen, and I love it there.
My son lives in SP and I just might move there someday, because it is a really nice southern town. Great walkability, good restaurants and shops, farmers market...real estate is still cheap and the vibe is relaxed and dog friendly. I love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina