Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

I know at least 30 teachers that don't feel demeaned and unappreciated.

Under appreciated? Sure. Underpaid? Of course, who doesn't?

It's just a continuation of the hyperbolic language that won't solve any of our problems. Sorry to disagree with you on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:17 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Don't worry the trickle down economics will help the teachers

Old 10-06-2015, 05:37 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I know at least 30 teachers that don't feel demeaned and unappreciated.

Under appreciated? Sure. Underpaid? Of course, who doesn't?

It's just a continuation of the hyperbolic language that won't solve any of our problems. Sorry to disagree with you on this one.

Since the powers that be have done little to make real improvements, the wheels are starting to squeak more loudly. You call it hyperbole, the teachers who are dealing with the problems call it a career. So, do you have any suggestions on how to solve our problems, or are you content to simply brush off the growing groundswell of discontent as undue whining?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM

613 posts, read 746,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Since the powers that be have done little to make real improvements, the wheels are starting to squeak more loudly. You call it hyperbole, the teachers who are dealing with the problems call it a career. So, do you have any suggestions on how to solve our problems, or are you content to simply brush off the growing groundswell of discontent as undue whining?

I'll give you two suggestions. Cull the bloated and very unnecessary administration ranks and use the $ to give all teachers a bonus.
Number 2. Teacher assistants more bloat. Never heard of this when I was in school. Phase it out. Yes use the $ to give teachers another bonus.
Two suggestions. Zero cost to the taxpayer.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I'll give you two suggestions. Cull the bloated and very unnecessary administration ranks and use the $ to give all teachers a bonus.
Number 2. Teacher assistants more bloat. Never heard of this when I was in school. Phase it out. Yes use the $ to give teachers another bonus.
My guess is you never heard of computers when you were in elementary school either (I certainly hadn't). Should we eliminate them as well?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
My guess is you never heard of computers when you were in elementary school either (I certainly hadn't). Should we eliminate them as well?
Very interesting comment. Do you know that all the studies done have found zero positive outcomes from computers in the classroom? It sounds good. What does work? Time in school doing reading and math. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM

Found another source of $ to give teachers a bonus. Lovely day...... lunch with the window open in Raleigh.

Carolina Journal Online: Covering news, politics, and policy in North Carolina | UNC Salaries Dwarf Those In Other Agencies

Yet more waste and bloat.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Very interesting comment. Do you know that all the studies done have found zero positive outcomes from computers in the classroom? It sounds good. What does work? Time in school doing reading and math. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Not ALL the studies:

"...a new report from the Alliance for Excellent Education and the Stanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education (SCOPE) finds that technology - when implemented properly -can produce significant gains in student achievement and boost engagement, particularly among students most at risk."

Old 10-06-2015, 11:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:

I could agree with there being too many administrators, but not about the assistants. Regardless, the point is that any amount of opining on a message board isn't going to change things. What will change things is making people aware of the issues so they will vote for people who truly care about education and are willing to take action. A legislature that wants to cut teacher salaries and benefits, allocate public school money to private schools, threaten school funding, etc., is not helping to improve things. We need to fund initiatives to identify what's wrong, figure out how to make it right, and provide the money to make it happen. That kind of approach is very unlikely with a Republican legislature.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Hard to believe that someone would choose teaching in NC when they have an average college debt ($28,400), when the starting pay is $30K and you are paying 4+% on that debt or over $1200 a month and your gross pay is $2500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina